Computer desk for mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by InWake, Apr 22, 2007.

1. InWake macrumors newbie

Im thinking about buying this one, what does everyone think?:

if anyone has this desk, can you tell me about it or post some pics.

Measurements are * 36-1/4"H x 48"W x 31-3/4"D z-line "z" series black $300 canadian

hows this desk for imac or a mac mini

Attached Files:

2. biggiesmalls macrumors newbie

biggiesmalls

When you click the link, it does not bring you to an image. It prompts you to put in your Canadian Postal Code..

3. InWake thread starter macrumors newbie

o sorry, lemme edit

4. Kolind macrumors regular

I wouldn't get it for a couple of reasons:
    1) I don't like to have my keyboard on in one of those pull-out drawers (you know what I mean), as there is no room for me to rest my arms on. Prefer to have the keyboard 30-40 cm (12-15 inches) in on the desk, so I don't have all the weight of my arms on my wrists.
    2) It's made of glass, which looks great, but shows dust, fingerprints etc. very easily. Plus it might be cold to rest your arms on.
    3) The monitor is raised from the desk itself - depending on the monitor you have I would think it would be too high, especially if you have the keyboard in the drawer. A general advise is to have the top of the screen at eye-level, and unless your monitor is really small or your body has strange proportions, that desk looks less than optimal in regards to your health ;)

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just looking at it makes my knees hurt.

There is a whole industry building these useless contraptions and calling them "computer desks". They are absolutely useless. Get yourself a decent table, with as much of one flat surface as possible. It is nice to have a hole somewhere to put cables through so that you can put the table against a wall, but not absolutely necessary. And it is nice to have a vertical surface that you can tape an extension with power sockets to. But most important is one big flat surface.

On that "computer table", where do you put books, papers, pens, a printer, router and so on?

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

A closer look: Where are the cables? That thing will look ugly once all the cables are there (not that it doesn't look ugly now). What is the distance between keyboard and monitor? Do you realise how far away from the monitor you are? The thing for holding the computer is useless. With an iMac, you don't need it, but a MacPro doesn't fit. The surface is glass. Guess what is the one material that doesn't work with any optical mouse: It is glass.

7. eldino macrumors member

eldino

My ideal desk is a large large large Ikea-style raw table where i'm free to put all my stuff on in the way I like.. iBook, Logitech 2.1, Hard Disks, lamps, mouse, lan cables etc... :)

8. mikenguyen macrumors newbie

I personally would never buy a glass desk again because mine collects so much dust and shows fingerprints around the surface. I suggest buying a nice wooden table top instead of the glass top. Try looking at ikea.com, they got some nice desks such as the popular jerker desk you see everywhere.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, every one of these "computer" desks doesn't show the cables. So it looks neat. But keep in mind that ifyou have to run the cables around the back, then you need longer cables than you typically get. There's no way the keyboard cable is long enough to go around the back, so unless you're wireless, you'll need a new cable. And there's no drilling a hole in a glass desk.

10. speekez macrumors 6502

I bought a rather nice pine wooden desk from Ikea. (I used to own one of their black pressboard desks and my heavy CRT made the top bend inward ;) But this one is made of real wood and is very sturdy. I wanted something that would look nice in our living room, since this is where it goes. I wanted it to look cozy, not sterile. There is a place inside the desk to store the CPU.... and you have the option of leaving the back off of the CPU area, that way plenty of air can circulate inside