Computer discrimination?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MechaSpanky, Jan 12, 2017.

1. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

I had to file some paperwork with my state today and I was shocked to read that I must use Internet Explorer in order to file paperwork digitally. I thought this is ridiculous, is it the year 2000? No, it isn't. Why not choose something open? Why not Chrome? Firefox or Safari? I was even more surprised to read that it requires Java runtime to be installed. I tend to keep Java off my computer because there seems to be lots of bugs and trojans that exploit it. No thanks. I know that many people will say "what do you expect, it is the government?" but to those people, government should offer things in ways that everyone (or most everyone) can assess them and in a secure way (Internet Explorer doesn't exactly make you confident that you're secure). What they are doing is computer discrimination (I'm joking of course but I would like to see my state government using more open standards). I wonder how many other states do this? I used the federal government's website many times last year and I never had any troubles using Safari.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

They probably need funding to update their systems.

3. alex.houston macrumors member

You could try setting user agent for the browser. For example on safari 10:
    safari > preferences > advanced > check "show develop menu in menu bar",
    and then:
    develop > user agent > internet explorer 11.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This is a fairly common issue where web programs are reccomended to be used with a specific web browser. I remember back in my College days Blackboard was suggested to be run on Firefox, especially when taking online quizzes. Meanwhile the school's awful and archaic registration software "ran" on I.E.

I believe the programs will run on alternative browsers but all the testing and compatibility had been done with a specific browser. Unfortuanately older programs are suck in Internet Explorer land.

To consider this "discrimination" is quite hyperbolic.

5. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

Well, as a project manager myself... when you have a technician with experience and you put a supervisor on top with less experience... the amount of progress and speed to troubleshot goes from 15 minutes to a day. It means... that something the technician can resolve in 15 minutes now it would take a day because the technician has to explain to his superior... make him understand, accept and then execute.

That is just with ONE person on top. Imagine having at least 3 people on top of you and then a board of directors and then a town voting.... you go for 15 minutes to 6 months to a year. Bureaucracy.

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

Most of the government systems are using Microsoft based operating systems and interfacing with products like IIS and SharePoint. This is probably not going to change anytime in the near future and with budgets getting slashed left and right, they probably don't have the staff or manpower to update their sites. So, you have to use older tech to get things done. I watched my entire development staff get cut (8 people) down to a single person and then they wanted to add more projects. Needless to say, nothing got accomplished and I finally had enough and moved on. Life in the public sector really sucks sometimes.

You can probably get the site to function with Chrome or FireFox, but it will take some tweaking.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is not 'computer discrimination', rather, this is a consequence of slashed budgets, and demanding of government that costs be driven down and tenders be for competing services be awarded to the lowest bidder.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are many enterprise applications that are written specifically for IE. We have a couple of them in my company. Its becoming less of a problem, but I can see governments having older systems that would be upgraded and so must continue to use IE

9. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

So true, I do some work in the public sector (State and Federal) and there's a ton of legacy infrastructure, lots of apps that just haven't been recoded to updated standards, and some (per the OP) are even browser specific (due to some combination of layout, features, plugins).

I've been proactive about pushing new standards and our little corner of the Federal government - at least in terms of OS/browsers - is making pretty good progress (they're actually using Chrome ... *gasp*)

I do a lot of work in the private sector as well, so you can imagine the mental reset that's required as I move between cutting edge and tech that's 5 years old :D

10. Huntn, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm seeing this on certain Bank/credit card web sites. They will have a link that says something like approved or check your browsers, although I've not seen one that works only on one browser, Explorer. Firefox is my preferred browser, but when I run into this issue, usually switching to Safari solves it.

For the OP, Java is not that unusual, and on my Mac, I've not noticed any issues with having it installed.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Do you work for the Federal Government in one of the IT departments?

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I should file charges of computer discrimination against my workplace for only providing Windows PCs. And the software companies as well do not make Mac OS software versions.

13. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Hell no.

:D

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sorry about that, I misread your comment, you do work for....XYZ, not that you work for. :oops:

15. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I run my own companies, and across the years I picked up and continue to provide some technology in the public sector. I do everything remote, sitting in shorts, 2 blocks from the ocean :cool:

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ha! That is awesome!!

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

At work I have to use IE for our internal CVTV.
    I have to use Chrome for our main business system.
    I have to use firefox for our CRM system.

It makes for fun PC sessions.

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Computer discrimination is when they only allow you to open a .PDF with adobe acrobat.