Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
So, at work I'm having to inventory every component in our workstations, i.e. memory, hard drive, video card, floppy drive. With serial numbers. Is there a program out there that I can run on the workstation that will spit something out with all this information, without having to open up all the workstations. The big issue is I have about 50 of the them.

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
I used to have to do this for the AF, I just created a small database in access to track everything. If your equipment doesnt do a lot of moving around, I would say you could even get away with using a simple spreadsheet in excel.

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
If they're running Windows, you can run: msinfo32 as a start. No serial numbers that I'm aware of, but it'll give you a list of all the devices that the OS is aware of.
Probably not a complete solution but it's free, will get you started, and it sure beats pulling open 50 boxes. :D

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
If they're running Windows, you can run: msinfo32 as a start. No serial numbers that I'm aware of, but it'll give you a list of all the devices that the OS is aware of.
Probably not a complete solution but it's free, will get you started, and it sure beats pulling open 50 boxes. :D

yeah winmsd was the first thing i thought of. but i've got to have the serial numbers. man i don't want to open 50 boxes and five servers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.