Computer or iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LorQ1027, Sep 26, 2017.

1. LorQ1027 macrumors regular

LorQ1027

advice help!
    Right now all my stuff is backed up to my MacBook Pro. Was thinking about switching to backing up to iCloud.. which one is better - backing up to computer or iCloud?

Reason being, my second 8+ is also having cracking issues and I have an appt with Apple to discuss it. If they offer me another new device, I would like to test it out before I leave the store. If I have my stuff backed up to iCloud, I can test it right then and there. If I continue backing up to my laptop, I’ll hve to wait til I get home to test the phone out.

In general, which method do you guys prefer?

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I prefer to do both. I do encrypted backups both to my Mac and to iCloud, so I always have a second backup option. Plus if something does go wrong and I have to swap the device out I can do a last minute backup to iCloud and I'll have everything I need.

3. LorQ1027 thread starter macrumors regular

LorQ1027

When I clicked on iCloud backup, I get a notice that says “info will no longer be backed up to computer”

4. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I've used iCloud since it came out and have never had any issues. I don't own a computer anymore.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

6. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I use both, after I back up to the iCloud I then do a back up to my computer. I use iTunes to accomplish both and have no issues. It's good to have an iCloud back up so you can get a phone rolling at the point of purchase. It's a life saver.

7. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

I always have both: automatic iCloud backups and then encrypted backups from time to time to my computer via iTunes. When I get a new phone, or even when there's a new iOS, I first make a new backup and then I use that iTunes backup to restore it. I do the same thing on my iPad, in part because wiping the phone and then restoring it from your current backup is a way to get rid of that "Other" stuff that collects and just takes up space.

If you have both, you could test out via the iCloud one in the store, then use your iTunes backup later if you think it's necessary.

If you do an iTunes backup, make sure it's encrypted so you keep your passwords, etc, and make sure you check to see that the backup is there (iTunes<Preferences) and make sure your know your backup password!

8. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Both. I do both just because you can never backup too often. However, now with the 8+ with wireless charging, I'll be plugging in a lot less and probably relying on iCloud mostly.

9. cynics macrumors G4

I use both.

With iCloud highlighted you still have the "manual" option available.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 8.22.51 PM.png

If I clicked "Back Up Now" it would back up to the computer and the 9/19/17 date would update to today once it was done.

You can verify it backed up by navigating in Finder to "/Users/(your user name)/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup"

Edit: Actually easier to goto iTunes > Preferences > Devices Tab.

10. titrau macrumors 65816

titrau

icloud take money every months automaticly = No Thanks
    pc computer = always error restore or itune update or something not work

iphone come every yrs all i do is delete old file and start new page book

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

It won't back up to your PC automatically anymore. You can still back up manually in iTunes.

12. LorQ1027 thread starter macrumors regular

LorQ1027

Ahh ic!! Thanks!

13. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I use both methods too.

But about 3 weeks ago, my iCloud auto backup stopped & I got a message saying my devices hadn't been backed up for 2 weeks. & then manual backing up to iCloud would hang/fail for days.

Apple Support fixed me up though. I think signing out/in of iCloud (via the website) on the PC helped.

14. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I believe that Apple will fix this issue. I wouldn't just replace it just yet.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-problem-affecting-iphone-8-earpiece.2072726/

15. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

You can’t do a full back up to iCloud like you can on computer. That’s why I still do a full encrypted back up to my Mac. Plus restoring from computer is a whole lot quicker. iCloud doesn’t backup the entire iPhone

16. Damon2 macrumors regular

Both with more more emphasis on regular computer back ups.

iClouds already failed me hugely once, I've never relied on it and I defo dont know.

That reminds me I need to do a backup!

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Unless you are trying to include your images the iCloud will back you phone up for free!

I do both iCloud and weekly iTunes encrypted backup and they do not cost a single penny.

18. brgjoe macrumors regular

brgjoe

Me confused. Which isn't terribly surprising. :p

I have the free iCloud (5GB, I think). So even though it says on my phone I have about 20GB stored on it, I can still do an iCloud backup and/or restore and not have to pay for extra storage?

Does the iCloud backup everything? Or does it only back up images? I will probably get an 8+ soon and I want to transfer everything over from the iPhone 6 to the new iPhone. So you can do that on iCloud? And with only 5GB of free storage?

Or since I have only 5GB of free iCloud storage, would I have to backup everything using iTunes (something I have never used before...no, really!) and transfer the files to the new phone that way?

19. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

I stick with iTunes, and sync to my local Mac - and will stay there as long as humanly possible.

Screw paying Apple for more iCloud space - it should at least give you enough free space (within reason) to back up your devices.