Apple Confirms a Fix is Coming for Static Noise Problem Affecting iPhone 8 Earpiece

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is working on a fix for an issue causing some iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus owners to hear intermittent crackling noises when using the device for phone calls, the company told The Verge in a statement this afternoon.

"We are aware of the issue which is affecting customers in a small number of cases," said an Apple spokesperson. "Our team is at work on a fix, which will be included in an upcoming software release."

[​IMG]

Many MacRumors readers began noticing the static noise shortly after the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus became available last Friday. It is described as a "very annoying" crackling sound that can be heard from the earpiece of the device during both standard calls and FaceTime calls.

The noise issue can be bypassed by using headphones or the speaker phone option on an affected device, suggesting the issue lies in the software rather than the hardware. MacRumors forum member Jgpsolo describes the problem:
    Changing cellular settings like WiFi calling or Voice Over LTE does not seem to improve the problem, and resetting a device also does not appear to offer a reliable fix.

It's not clear when Apple will release another update to fix the issue, as no specific time was provided by the company. Apple's first iOS 11 update came out this morning, addressing an Exchange email bug that prevented many users from sending mail from Outlook, Office 365, and Exchange Server email accounts.

Article Link: Apple Confirms a Fix is Coming for Static Noise Problem Affecting iPhone 8 Earpiece

2. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Who's in charge of quality control at apple? Damn! IOS 11 is a mess, now issues with iPhone 8....

3. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

iPhone 6 bendgate only affected less than 10 customers. iPhone 7 had static noise problem and it only affected small amount of customer. iPhone 8 has same problem and again only small amount of customer. When will Apple learn and be honest

4. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

5. bryanios macrumors newbie

bryanios

I noticed that once I had several phone calls lately.. very disappointing, Apple

6. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Out of all the things that need fixing...

7. acorntoy macrumors 65816

I can believe it, I was surprised when this showed up on macrumors, as my 8+ Has been working perfectly.

8. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

9. bmelson0412 Suspended

I'm pretty sure this has happened in previous iPhone models. I might be wrong though.

10. Derek21023 macrumors newbie

Derek21023

Their commercial watch this really pissed me off. Apples quality control has gone downhill and has gotten lazy. Come on now. For how much you want customers to pay for your devices, get your crap together.

11. now i see it macrumors 68030

If software can fix it then the problem likely is affecting all 8 series iPhones.

12. EW800 macrumors 6502

In my opinion, IOS 11 has been Apple’s most bug-ridden update to date. I know the software is very complex, however I wonder at times how this release got out the door in such condition.

13. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

The level of sloppiness at the company recently is mindblowing.

14. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Small for Apple is a huge number to other manufacturers.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Statements like this have been said for every release. Remember iOS 8 brickgate?

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Damn lots of anger towards Apple. This happens with any product and early adoption, cars even. And they cost more than a phone.

And iOS 11 buggiest ever? Things get fixed and sorted out.

16. tkanyc macrumors newbie

My 8 Plus is affected. At first I thought I was getting bad connections, but it happens too frequently.

17. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

iStatic. It's a magical feature that provides calming white noise.

18. Derek21023 macrumors newbie

Derek21023

Don't let Apple slide on this. They are a premium company and consumers expect a premium experience. Their quality control has gotten worse over the years.

19. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

It's funny Apple is now falling under the same scrutiny as Microsoft once they got huge..

20. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

It’s affecting a small number of phones.

Perfection is not possible in this world system.

21. Superhappytree, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Nope. They deserve the anger this time. Apple doesn’t deserve to be excused at all for piss poor software. This whole “it will be fixed in a future update months from now so quit complaining!” mentaility from people is the problem. If we say nothing and just clap at everything they do then expect nothing to change. My iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 didn’t lag, jitter, stutter and have UI inconsistencies and glitches when I first used them out of the box. My iPhone 8 Plus however does. And this is supposed to have the fastest processor with the highest of highest Geekbench scores. Proof that they’re slacking in the software in terms of polish, UI, and bugs and they have been ever since they redesigned iOS with iOS 7.

22. airbusking macrumors member

airbusking

Sep 19 ... "A day to remember". Likely for the wrong reasons. Pay a premium you expect a finished product, Apple has rushed their releases before they are ready. iTunes 12.7 (surprise) not happy with the silent release, HS not supporting the Fusion drive ... I get it you don't want it corrupt your data but Apple is selling Fusion right now, in the store, and can't get its marque OS on it's leading hardware. Then don't release it until its ready. I know blah blah...... but Apple's QC has failed and the Apple is tarnished.

23. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

This is because they push out useless bloated half-baked "features" instead of fixing the underpinnings so that it does, in fact, just work.

24. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

25. EW800 macrumors 6502

You are absolutely correct. I forgot about all the bricked phones. That was worse than this.