Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metatrox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Just having some fun in Photoshop and threw together this. Like an iPad Pro concept. Just thought i'd share. Thanks!

*** UPDATED IMAGE BASED ON SUGGESTIONS ***
iPad-ProNew2.jpg

Full Size Image

iPad-ProNew.jpg

Full Size Image

-------------------------
Older Image Below
iPad-Pro2.jpg

Full Size Image

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
"Beyond productivity"?

Well, ok, I can see that in the ad :rolleyes:

Otherwise, nice work

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Looks kinda Toshiba 1990s. Sorry.

The metal hinge is dead.

The keyboard would come in colors that match the case and the given iPad. A silver keyboard with a black case and a white iPad is not very Apple.

Think integration.

It's not clear from the design whether the iPad is sitting in a frame/case, but if the iPad has a frame itself, again, not very Apple. The groove all around it is a trap for dirt, lint, food, etc.

The home button is over designed. The circular home button is practically a trademark for them. It's not going anywhere.

Everything Apple has made under Jony Ive in the past 12 years has been informed by Dieter Rams, Braun, and mid 20th century European industrial design in general.

Your mock ups look late 20th century Japanese.

To emulate Apple, repeat the mantra "less is more" a hundred times a day. And look at every design Braun did in the 60s and 70s.

metatrox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Nice work!
Thanks!

"Beyond productivity"?
Well, ok, I can see that in the add :rolleyes:
Otherwise, nice work
LOL Ya never know! LOL

Looks kinda Toshiba 1990s. Sorry.
The metal hinge is dead.
The keyboard would come in colors that match the case and the given iPad. A silver keyboard with a black case and a white iPad is not very Apple.
Think integration.
It's not clear from the design whether the iPad is sitting in a frame/case, but if the iPad has a frame itself, again, not very Apple. The groove all around it is a trap for dirt, lint, food, etc.
The home button is over designed. The circular home button is practically a trademark for them. It's not going anywhere.
Everything Apple has made under Jony Ive in the past 12 years has been informed by Dieter Rams, Braun, and mid 20th century European industrial design in general.
Your mock ups look late 20th century Japanese.
To emulate Apple, repeat the mantra "less is more" a hundred times a day. And look at every design Braun did in the 60s and 70s.
LOL Well I tried... I updated it a bit based on what you said.
Didn't realize the hinge was gone. Not of the smart covers anymore?
Frame? No frame. Not sure what you mean.
Cleaned it up so it doesn't look like a groove now.
I agree on the button, I tried to make it without creating a larger bezel but failed lol.
*Your mock ups look late 20th century Japanese. "Ouch! LOL"

Like the hinge on the MBA.
Ugh! Hate that!

Lol no offense man but It looks like a really old laptop
Bummer! Back to the drawing board. Hope the update is better. No Keyboard junk.

Nice work, but the smart cover/keyboard looks really fake.
Deleted in the update image.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Having seen this image I might keep my iPad 4 and wait desperately for this to become reality. It makes the iPad Air look like a minor upgrade!

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
My idea is similar although it dual boots iOS and Mac OS X (only if keyboard is attached). The iPad is the next gen updated bog-standard device however the keyboard is where the power lies. Power saving i3 powers it and allows Mac OS X to be run. Its not meant to be to replace the rMBP or suchlike, just to give mobile Mac OS X to quickly edit photos using Pixelmator, use the full internet, use full scale Pages etc. Basically a low powered MacBook Air with a touch screen.

But also without the amazing graphics of above :p

Attachments

• iPad-Pro.png
    iPad-Pro.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 391

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
Very decent concept. Realistically I would assume that in order to cut cost, Apple will just base it exactly off the design of the iPad Air/mini, there is no reason for them not to. However, would be interesting to see a new design for a cover.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I don't know if they'd do a keyboard cover, I'd expect a kickstand and a really amazing stylus though.

SamwellG

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
Wow. Very nice. If this comes out next I will definitely purchase. I will be getting the new mini so itd be nice to have a bigger (smaller by your picture) iPad though.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I know people like to go crazy with concept art, but why would you expect the iPad Pro to look any different than the current iPads do? iPad Pro, think current iPads but bigger, there you go.

Why is the top bezel so small?
What does "Beyond Productivity" mean?
Why is everything in a folder with so many notification and 17% battery life?

2013-iPad-family-Retina-iPad-mini-2-iPad-Air.jpg

wmitch

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
i actually really like the thinner top bezel. thick top made sense when the sides were wide since all 4 sides were the same but i don't think its necessary anymore (design anyway, not sure about technical need for the camera space)

I love the idea of a silver face too! very cool.

Only thing i don't like here is your keyboard cover concept. Also, a mini, air, pro comparison photo would be cool.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I know people like to go crazy with concept art, but why would you expect the iPad Pro to look any different than the current iPads do? iPad Pro, think current iPads but bigger, there you go.

Why is the top bezel so small?
What does "Beyond Productivity" mean?
Why is everything in a folder with so many notification and 17% battery life?

2013-iPad-family-Retina-iPad-mini-2-iPad-Air.jpg
Did you just get a current iPad pic use the zoom feature in safari and take a screenshot?! Rofl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.