Concerned about the home screen

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shenfrey, Apr 22, 2015.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

At first I was excited about it but the more videos I watch and the more I think about it the less sure I become with it.

It's the 'universe' it sounds simple to begin with, just browse to the app you want, and click it. Well what happens when you have tonnes of apps which I am sure will eventually happen. Can you imagine the amount of scrolling around on that tiny display you will be doing? We take it for granted because on an iPhone we simply swipe down and type what we want when we have so many apps and it's instant. On Apple Watch it's not that simple nor is it as elegant.

I am just worried that it's going to become nauseating, so much so that I may deliberately install fewer apps just to avoid this problem.

What do you guys think?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I don't think there will be any scrolling. Zoom out, smart zoom into an area, job done.

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Concerned about the home screen

I still think that will become annoying eventually as you still need to scroll to the area your app is in. Then zoom. Then click.

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Siri, launch....(fill in the blank)

We now have a bigger reason to have her around.

5. oennich macrumors newbie

I don't think it'll be that bad, you could think of it as a map, and I'm sure you know your way around your town. For lots of apps I think it's better than several pages with about nine - twelve apps on each page.

(Got nine - twelve from the old contacts page when you double press the side button)

6. johnkim macrumors member

Make use of Glances.
    Set it active for the apps you use most so that you can access information fast and tap on it to launch the app.

7. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I'm not convinced that most people will spend enough time navigating around the watch that it will matter. First and foremost, I think the interaction model is Get a Notification > Choose to Act or Dismiss > Go on with the day.

8. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Remember this isn't a phone, interactions will be very different. Think a lot of people are going to find their standard means of launching an app will be from a notification rather than the main menu. There may be a few apps you launch regularly (fitness is the obvious one I suspect) but it'll be less than you think...

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yeah, that's how Android Wear was designed: to use voice to launch things.

As it turns out, most people don't like doing that in public.

So now they making their apps page easier to reach. (Something that third parties had already done with addon launchers.)

I'm betting both systems add folders before too long.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I think the lack of icon labels, was a poorly thought out idea.

11. 3square macrumors regular

yup i agree.
    made a post here about it
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1868628

i actually preferred this layout.

Attached Files:

12. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

That's if you remember the name of the app.. NO ICON LABELS!!!

13. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

I know what you mean, but remember that you can/will enable only the apps you want for the Watch. You don't have to have all AW capable apps on your watch, if you know what I means. For example, I have Zillow, which has an AW extension. I may say I never want to use it on the watch. So, I don't enable it in the AW app.

Having said that, I agree there could be app icon overload soon!

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree, labels would help, but the screen is so tiny there isn't room for that. :(

15. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

Also, remember that you can move and arrange apps just like you can on the iPhone/iPad. So maybe you keep all the apps you regularly use in the "inner circle" of apps that surrounds the clock app icon, and the less used ones go farther outside. Or bundle good apps in one area and less favored ones in another - think the app folders on iPhones that people make for the stock Apple apps. I'm not really sure the full extent that app icons can be moved around - can we have more than one cluster, for example? - but I imagine people will find a way to intuitively arrange things.