Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EquilibriumGroup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
So is the iPhone 5 different to the 4s sim?

Slightly confused by all this as I needed a new small sim when I went from the 3GS to 4S

Google "Nano Sim card".

The Sim Card needed in the iPhone. 5 is smaller then the one in the 4S Apples way of saving wasted Space :)

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Cool, i'll pre-order my iPhone 5 tomorrow morning then get my nano-sim sorted over the weekend.

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
Never asked anyone to believe me, think that if you like. I know I'm right. I have no reasons to lie.

I don't think anyone is calling you a liar, but it is a fact that O2 have fed you misinformation.

O2 (and Vodaphone) do not have the radio frequencies to offer 4G to anyone until they bid in the Ofcom auctions next year and win them.

Additionally it is now known that the two frequency bands up for auction are not even supported by the iPhone 5 so unless the situation changes neither O2 nor Vodaphone will be able to provide 4G service to the current model at all. Frankly it's looking to be quite a mess and there could be a lot of irate owners next year when it becomes apparent they'll have to upgrade their phone again to get 4G in the UK.

mjw11

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
Lte by xmas

I don't understand O2 having LTE by xmas? I thought the section of the spectrum that O2 were bidding for was not supported by the iPhone 5? And that the only networks that LTE 4G were available from would be a EE network?:confused:

Thanks

Wont write an essay..

As a platinum member, they provide me with truth thank god :)

Pre-Orders will begin tomorrow, at some point. Be patient and wait.. But will be tomorrow.

They have Nano Sim Cards in stock.

Getting a Simplicity and then getting a Nano Sim will work (If buying the phone full price)

O2 will be selling the phone on Pay As You Go from launch day (21st September)

LTE on O2 expected by Christmas.

iPhone 5 Prices:

16GB £529.00
32GB £599.00
64GB £699.00

If you need any more info.. Ask.

Equilibrium x x x

EquilibriumGroup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Just got off the Phone to o2-uk again

Pre-Orders will 100% Start at 9AM Tomorrow in Store, online, or Via Telephone.

This is the Same for upgrade or New Contracts.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
I don't understand O2 having LTE by xmas? I thought the section of the spectrum that O2 were bidding for was not supported by the iPhone 5? And that the only networks that LTE 4G were available from would be a EE network?:confused:

Thanks
You are correct O2 will only get LTE in 2013 and it will not support the iPhone 5.

EquilibriumGroup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
You are correct O2 will only get LTE in 2013 and it will not support the iPhone 5.

How so, if O2 release LTE, Wouldn't it work on the iPhone 5 as it is compatible(iPhone 5) with LTE?

I'm Confused.. o2 have misled information to me a Little. but i know the other fact are actual facts lol!

xx

----------

Thanks for that. Do you know whether the tariff details will be released before then?

O2 have released these Tariffs but not how much Handsets will be with them Tariffs..

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5 (Click on Tariffs)

I was dissapointed a little, they are only offering 1GB of Data Yet again!

EQ xx

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Wont write an essay..

As a platinum member, they provide me with truth thank god :)

Pre-Orders will begin tomorrow, at some point. Be patient and wait.. But will be tomorrow.

They have Nano Sim Cards in stock.

Getting a Simplicity and then getting a Nano Sim will work (If buying the phone full price)

O2 will be selling the phone on Pay As You Go from launch day (21st September)

O2 Will Have Pre-Orders From 9AM Tomorrow morning! Online, In Store or Via Telephone.
Delivery will either be Monday 24th or On Lauch day O2 doesn't know when they'll recieve the Handsets.

iPhone 5 Prices:

16GB £529.00
32GB £599.00
64GB £699.00

If you need any more info.. Ask.

Equilibrium x x x
Any prices known about the contract prices and the one off fee's?

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
How so, if O2 release LTE, Wouldn't it work on the iPhone 5 as it is compatible(iPhone 5) with LTE?

I'm Confused.. o2 have misled information to me a Little. but i know the other fact are actual facts lol!

xx
There is a mega thread with all the details in but the bottom line is that the LTE frequencies O2 and Vodaphone can bid for are not supported by the iP5. Only the 1800MHz range that EE owns (and 3 has a bought a bit from them) is supported.

Edit: this is the thread.

EquilibriumGroup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Any prices known about the contract prices and the one off fee's?

Yep!

iPhone 5 Prices:

16GB £529.00
32GB £599.00
64GB £699.00

They are the One off Fees!

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5 (Click on Tariffs and it will tell you all the Contract prices.)

It doesn't tell you handset prices on Contract as yet, but they will update that sometime from now till 9AM tomorrow morning! :)

EQ xx

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Yep!

iPhone 5 Prices:

16GB £529.00
32GB £599.00
64GB £699.00

They are the One off Fees!

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5 (Click on Tariffs and it will tell you all the Contract prices.)

It doesn't tell you handset prices on Contract as yet, but they will update that sometime from now till 9AM tomorrow morning! :)

EQ xx
Yeah I was on about the one off fee's with the contract. Also those tariffs are going to be wrong since they all show unlimited texts, unlimited minutes, and 1gb of data, unless each of them are going to have a different price structure on them.

EquilibriumGroup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Yeah I was on about the one off fee's with the contract. Also those tariffs are going to be wrong since they all show unlimited texts, unlimited minutes, and 1gb of data, unless each of them are going to have a different price structure on them.

No No, O2's Now USP (Unique selling point) is the Unlimited - Unlimited Deal..
But that is On & On Meaning either or.. but you wont use over 5000 Minutes or Text in a month im sure?

I'll Update the thread soon as I hear prices on Handsets via contract.. but I am sure they will be the Tariffs.. as you can see it cost ALOT more for a standard Tariff. £63 or so.. :S

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

The Phone 5 only supports one LTE frequency that will be used in the UK - 1800MHz.

Only EE (T-Mobile/Orange) have enough 1800MHz bandwidth to offer LTE service at the moment. They're also selling part of their 1800MHz bandwidth to Three, who will also use it for LTE.

mjw11

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
O2

I'm still going to get iPhone 5 on O2, reason being that they are a great company even though they have messed up this time round. You can actually follow their 4g project on youtube which has been dubbed by themselves as the largest 4g trial in the uk. I think it maybe better for me to upgrade to a iPhone 5 on O2 4G when 4G is properly up and running and all the creases have been ironed out. I'm forcing myself to get the iPhone 5 because I dropped my 3GS down the toilet last week. Ive managed with 3G since 2009 I can wait a little longer haha. Daft I know.

EquilibriumGroup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
iPhone 5 retail store prices
FROM O2-UK
Buy iPhone 5 in our stores from Friday 21st September at the prices below.

Find your nearest retail store

On & On, 24 months

Monthly cost Minutes Texts Data iPhone 5 16GB iPhone 5 32GB iPhone 5 64GB
£26 Unlimited Unlimited 1GB £249.99 £359.99 £449.99
£31 £159.99 £269.99 £349.99
£36 £99.99 £209.99 £269.99
£41 £29.99 £139.99 £209.99
£46 £0.00 £89.99 £169.99
Standard tariffs, 24 months

Monthly cost Minutes Texts Data iPhone 5 16GB iPhone 5 32GB iPhone 5 64GB *
£63 Unlimited Unlimited 1GB £0.00 £0.00 £69.99 6 months early upgrade

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm still going to get iPhone 5 on O2, reason being that they are a great company even though they have messed up this time round. You can actually follow their 4g project on youtube which has been dubbed by themselves as the largest 4g trial in the uk. I think it maybe better for me to upgrade to a iPhone 5 on O2 4G when 4G is properly up and running and all the creases have been ironed out. I'm forcing myself to get the iPhone 5 because I dropped my 3GS down the toilet last week. Ive managed with 3G since 2009 I can wait a little longer haha. Daft I know.

As it stands, no iPhone 5 will support the 4G signal that O2 will be providing in the future.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
As it stands, no iPhone 5 will support the 4G signal that O2 will be providing in the future.

People are not grasping that concept for some reason.

The ONLY mobile operators that will support LTE on the iPhone 5 are EE and Three. Unless an updated iPhone 5 is released to support, which i doubt. I don't think we'll see a compatible iP5 until the 5S next year.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008

The ONLY mobile operators that will support LTE on the iPhone 5 are EE and Three. Unless an updated iPhone 5 is released to support, which i doubt. I don't think we'll see a compatible iP5 until the 5S next year.

I think loads of people are cottoning on to this today. Lots of people on twitter talking about it. I think O2 will have missed out on custom because they've delayed taking orders.

I wonder if the delay is due to them trying to come up with a form of words that avoids talking about 4G without looking like they're avoiding talking about 4G.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
I think loads of people are cottoning on to this today. Lots of people on twitter talking about it. I think O2 will have missed out on custom because they've delayed taking orders.

I wonder if the delay is due to them trying to come up with a form of words that avoids talking about 4G without looking like they're avoiding talking about 4G.
They could just go on calling HSDPA 4G as everyone has been doing up to now and not mention LTE. I suspect that they and Vodaphone will be pushing phones like the Nokia Lumia 920 (and probably anything else released this year) which will support their LTE networks.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
I'm on an O2 sim-only deal. Bought a SIM-free iPhone 5 this morning preorder, should arrive next Friday.

In the meantime, let's see what SIM-only offers pop up around: EE, 3 etc.

Otherwise, if nothing is more cost-effective than O2, then I'll stick with them and their HSPA+ for a while.

If they get their own handset in 6 months, I'll sell the iPhone 5 and get a new O2 one.

No biggie, I'm very relaxed now :)

EquilibriumGroup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
O2 pissing me off!

THIS IS A CONVO WITH o2 Just now.

Jess: Hi I'm O2 : Jess. How can I help?

Me: Hello Jess, I was told by an O2 customer advisor that I could Upgrade my Phone to the iPhone 5 today before mid day. I need to know what is going on.. will Pre-Orders be today? and if so what time..

Jess: I'm sorry but we are having some technical problem with our pre order system right now.

me: It's crazy because ive heard so many different things from o2 Customer service

me: I dont know what to believe now

Jess: Please be assured that you'll be able to placed the order from 21st September onwards.

me: SO i was lied to that, O2 Customers could pre order it today

Jess: The pre-order was today but we are having some technical problem and our engineer are investigating the matter.
me: Okay, Well hopefully you're telling the truth and it will be sorted soon.. Sometime today hopefully!

They have been lying to everyone all day.. while i was chatting to her, I was on the phone to o2 telling me different things!

mjw11

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
i fully understand this but there is a possibility that Apple may release a version of the iPhone 5 that would work with O2 and Vodafone 4G like they did with Verizon in the US. The thing is I need a new phone so i'll just have to bite the bullet and see what happens. If I hadn't dropped my 3GS down the toilet i'd probably still use it until 4G is properly sorted out and Apple releases an iPhone that supports all.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
They have been lying to everyone all day.. while i was chatting to her, I was on the phone to o2 telling me different things!

I have to say they've handled this really badly. It became obvious yesterday that they were having serious problems, but they kept to the increasingly ludicrous line of "we're just making sure we've got everything right". An admission of technical problems would have better preserved their credibility. People are forgiving of problems if they feel they've been given accurate and up to date information. As things stand, you still can't order over their website (at least for new customers), there is zero information on the site about nano sim availability, and no acknowledgement that there is a problem!

Had things been up and running at 8.00am yesterday they would have had me as a new pay monthly customer. Instead I bought from Apple and will make a decision about a network at a later date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.