Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Still it`s hard to believe how the hell did Apple screw up this bad. iPhone 3G after June 9th???? That means more than a month of zero iphone sales. They have never done something like this with any of their other products. I still cant digest it....:confused:

I can think of one potential good reason to do what they did...people can whine about the 3G coming out right after they bought their (now old) iPhone. Inventory died up a month ahead of time, so it's pretty obvious to everyone what's going on. No excuses, and no reason for Apple to have to placate late adopters of the current iPhone.

I don't know if that's enough reason to go a month without. However, with the absolute flood of sales that the 3G launch will surely bring, they just might not care about losing a month of sales.

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
Wait a second, I can confirm that the product will indeed launch on June 9th...

I can do this because everyone else has said this is the date, so we can't all be wrong!

Also, if it launches with only one app available, we all cry :(

BigD58

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
North Carolina
That's nice to hear. But as everyone said not surprising at all. I do hope AT&T subsidizes! And maybe let it go to verizon also but not able to subsidize?? maybe?:D

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmm...maybe it's time i sell my current 4GB iPhone but its served me so well and never given me issues. I'd feel like a traitor.

Im also not sure i can stomach locking myself into an 18 month contract after enjoying the benefits of a Sim-Only Contract

So what about those that signed up for the 18 month contract in November (UK) will they be allowed to upgrade at a discounted price without a contract extension or what?

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Rogers in Canada has been pretty tight-lipped about the iPhone, other than confirming that it is indeed coming, so maybe we'll hear something about that at WWDC...

I can't think of why nothing else has been mentioned since the annoucement...of course, I can't think of much this early in the morning.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
Still it`s hard to believe how the hell did Apple screw up this bad. iPhone 3G after June 9th???? That means more than a month of zero iphone sales. They have never done something like this with any of their other products. I still cant digest it....:confused:

I guess it was a necessary step to avoid upsetting customers in the 'tech lane' with the new tech or price offering.

No one likes writing ' I'm really sorry I keep upsetting you guys ' letters too often.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Fascinating, a useful post...

But yet still more on topic than yours ;)

Can't wait for June 9th, just a shame im working 2pm-10pm that day, think I might sneak my laptop into work to keep an eye on the O2 site (and of course live (text & images) feeds here at MR.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
June 9th launch

All this hype about the new iphone is all a nice idea, but i can see the whole thing, if not the world go into complete meltdown, A} on June 9th and B} however many days, weeks later the iphone gets released!

Its going to be mass histeria at the apple stores and on the web. Its gong to be hell on earth
!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

PS i thought i'd bring a bit of colour to the forum today.
:)

thorbenh

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
Where can I have access to the live stream of Steve´s keynote?

By the way: Will it be possible to use the (hopefully) built-in front camera for video-chats over Internet instead of UMTS??

I would like to do video-calls internationally from iPhone to iPhone over Web.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
It will probably ship to be on sale on a Friday at 6:00pm. Perhaps as far as 2 weeks after the Keynote to let the hype engine roar.

?????

This isn't like the Wii where they actually underestimated demand. If they limit supply of the 3G iPhone, the only thing Apple will create is "lost sales". I doubt there will be a delay for the sale of the phones and I doubt that Apple will create a shortage by limiting supply. I'm sure they have a good enough handle on suppliers to be able to crank out enough 3G phones on a timely basis.

Regarding the one month delay - I think it will probably work out for Apple, but if they don't hit there sales targets for 08, they'll look back on the month of lost sales and probably can whomever made the decision to forego sales in exchange for fewer returns.

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
just out of interest who is selling there current iphone to get the new one? i want to do it but don't want to end up having to spend more than £50-100 on a new one. Of course mine wont be subsidised at all coz i'm signed into a sim-only vodafone contract.

what do u reckon - for a used iphone (bought oct 2007 from usa) unlocked with case and boxes etc? can i get £200 for it? if so SURELY a sim-only/unlocked 3g iphone (which i'm sure they'll offer, if not a hacked one obviously) will be under £250??

any thoughts? really want to sell now coz obviously the price of my used iphone will diminish dramatically in a few weeks!

cheers

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
i would love if 02 gave a trade in for us loyal customers save us the hassle of selling our 1st gen on.
oh well i can dream:)

Pwned

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Washington DC
I hope they don't wait to release it and have it for immediate availability. If I have to wait any longer than the 9th I'll be really mad and Apple will get my money anyways, damn you Iphone!!!!!:)

I heart :apple:

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
So what about those that signed up for the 18 month contract in November (UK) will they be allowed to upgrade at a discounted price without a contract extension or what?

I have been speaking to the iPhone O2 people a fair bit about this. Basically it goes like this:

You have your SIM card in your iPhone and thats linked to your account. If your iPhone you have at the moment non 3G broke, then all you do is take the SIM card out of it and put it in a new one. When you connect that to your Mac/PC iTunes will then do a soft activation and everything is back to normal.

Relating this to the 3G iPhone, they are saying simply because you own the phone, all you have to do is take the SIM out of your original iPhone, put it in the new 3G one and then do the same soft activation procedure with iTunes. Then thats you on the same contract, same number everything the same except you are using a 3G iPhone.

I simply..... can not WAIT this long. I can't do it. I am going insane.:mad:

WWDC
Countdown to 09-JUN-2008

20 2 39
days hrs mins

Time Zone: Eastern Daylight Time

You need this widget - Countdown to WWDC 2008

----------------------​

Well looks exactly like what I have been saying all along (really accurate for Spain lol, luck definitely):

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5438284/

emulator

macrumors 6502a
still don't understand why 3G is so big deal. the technology is here for a very long time and apple should have released the original iphone as a 3G capable phone.

apple is only doing double and triple dipping and people bow down before them like if they were gods. :confused:

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
can't wait, i have had my iphone since launch but think I am going to sell it this week and get ready for 3g next month :)

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Yay, my news submission makes it to the front page. Didn't think the 3G iPhone would be news to anyone. :)

I'm just hoping for a front-facing camera along with that 3G. Why US carriers are so insistent on ripping it out before branding their name on it is beyond me (i.e. all the HTC products). If they decide to throw in iChat with video over Wi-Fi or even 3G (maybe it's the next joint feature between Apple and AT&T like Visual Voicemail was!), just imagine the additional WOW factor it'll have over other phones.

I'm not standing in line again for 6 hours, especially when there was stock at the end of the day. Then again, the demand might be a lot higher if the price is subsidized. Order online or take the day off? Decisions, decisions...

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
just out of interest who is selling there current iphone to get the new one? i want to do it but don't want to end up having to spend more than £50-100 on a new one. Of course mine wont be subsidised at all coz i'm signed into a sim-only vodafone contract.

what do u reckon - for a used iphone (bought oct 2007 from usa) unlocked with case and boxes etc? can i get £200 for it? if so SURELY a sim-only/unlocked 3g iphone (which i'm sure they'll offer, if not a hacked one obviously) will be under £250??

any thoughts? really want to sell now coz obviously the price of my used iphone will diminish dramatically in a few weeks!

cheers

i would love if 02 gave a trade in for us loyal customers save us the hassle of selling our 1st gen on.
oh well i can dream:)

These people may be of help, its a suggestion anyway:

Envirofone

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
This gets repeated over and over, but to say "a month of zero iphone sales" is not actually true. There are still iPhones widely available in Europe. Even in the US, AT&T stores often still have them, and as late as last week I was in an Apple Store and they got a shipment in.

Yeah they might be having some stock left in stores but still this is something completely unheard of Apple. We`ve heard of stocks going down a week before the new model is launched but a month is completely unbelievable. They`d still sell lots and lots of 3G iPhone once it comes out but nothing justifies one Month of non availability of any iPhone et al.

Anyways it`ll definitely reduce the number of customers whining as they had just bought the old iPhone only a day ago.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Activated replacement iPhone in the Apple Store

If they are going to offer subsidies on them, then it will probably mean the initial setup will be in store rather than being through iTunes. Otherwise they would have to send out cashbacks i suppose.

I just took my original iPhoine back to the Apple Store last night due to a problem with the screen (white area in upper right corner). They quickly replaced my iPhone and "activated" it right there. I said I thought I had to activate at home with iTunes and he said that "they streamlined that a bit".

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Agreed. No way I'm paying $600 again (unless I can get some decent money selling mine ;) )

What about the whole two year contract issues for those of us considering upgrading? Would we have to sign up for another two years of service or would it just be a matter of dropping in the new SIM card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.