Confirmed: Can Transfer Eligibility Within Family Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chauz, Jul 10, 2008.

1. chauz macrumors newbie

Sorry if posting a new topic was unnecessary, but I actually had this confirmed by an AT&T store manager.

If you have one family plan line that is upgrade eligibile you CAN upgrade it to an iPhone at the discounted rate and have the phone switched over to your other lines.

The process was described like so:

1)Eligible line is upgrade to the iPhone.
    2)IMEI etc. is switched over to the desired line.
    3)Plan etc. is added to desired line.
    4)Walk out with cheap iPhone on your non-upgrade eligible family plan line.

Caveats:

The line being upgraded must have a 3G sim card. Otherwise, the system will not allow the upgrade. I was advised to have my second line user go grab a 3G sim card at a local ATT (they are out of state) before Friday.

The contract on the line eligible for upgrade will have its contract extended.

YMMV: I had another local store say it is impossible to do, but this is obviously not true. The store manager I spoke to said he trained all of his employees on this exact process yesterday, and that it would be no-hassle.

I hope this information is helpful! Enjoy!

2. redshield3 macrumors newbie

You said that the line being upgraded has to have the 3g sim... which line is this? The eligible line or the ineligible (target) line? I assume you mean the ineligible line but I want to be clear.

3. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Awesome.

I was able to do this many times before, however the ATT stores i've asked told me it may not be possible with the new iPhone.

The thing is, I won't be able to have the actual phone and/or person with me the time that I go to make all this happen. I didn't need the actual device last time I did this, but then again - that wasn't an iPhone 3G. I guess I should prob go in and ask.

4. chauz thread starter macrumors newbie

Essentially, both of them do. The line you are using for the cheap upgrade must have a 3G sim card or the system will not allow the upgrade, and will need to issue you a new sim card for that line. The line you actually intend to use the iPhone on will, obviously, also need a 3G sim card.

I only mentioned this because the line I will be using for the cheap upgrade is being used a few hours away from me by a family member. As long as they get the 3G sim before you upgrade the iPhone, their service will only be interrupted for the short time it takes to upgrade/switch the phone out. They need not be present during the process, nor will they need to visit AT&T in the future.

Hope that helps.

5. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

I was wondering if I upgrade all of my phone 2 being 3g iphones the other just regular phone, would I have to sign up for a new plan the $129.99 +9.99 or could I just keep my current plan? It stills comes out to be about the same except I had more minutes on my old family plan.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

thanks for the great news, this is what i plan on doing tomorrow morning! my local ATT store also said it was possible, so i hope to get that Rep when i go in.

7. redshield3 macrumors newbie

So they can't do this at Apple stores? Only AT&T?

8. MAClover143 macrumors member

Would this apply to a 2G iPhone line since they are eligible?

9. MAClover143 macrumors member

But the line being upgraded (not the one you are using the upgrade for) will essentially just get the SIM from the iPhone 3G so would they really need to purchase an additional SIM prior to that?

10. chauz thread starter macrumors newbie

The sim thing is only relevant if the line you are using the upgrade from has a sim card that pre-dates 3g. In order for the iPhone to be upgraded on that line temporarily, it must be a 3g sim account. That is all I was getting at. My second line was an older phone with an older sim card. They walked in and got a new, free 3g sim card. No biggie.

11. mrmiami247 macrumors member

if what youre talking about is true, that would be great news..let me give you my scenario...

my line is not upgrade eligible
    my mom's line is upgrade eligible

so you're saying that i can take my phone 2morrow morning and tell them to switch elgibility from my mom's line to my line...and that would be that...right?

12. jediistar macrumors 6502

This is the best news I have heard all day...I have been calling around stores in the chicago burbs trying to get confirmation. All but one said it was possible and those that did seemed quite sure. Still might wait a day or to for confirmation but this is EXACTLY what i wanted to hear.

13. MV ROB macrumors member

I was confirmed lastnight after about 30 minutes on the phone with an ATT rep that would put me on hold to verify with supervision on this subject. I am using my dads two upgrades for my two phones on my account. Downside to it is there will basically be 4 contracts signed. Two for my fathers account for taking the subsidized phone (understandable) and then when you go onto itunes it will also link those two phones to a contract on the account its going onto (that part i dont agree with personally) They even went onto my account and put notes on there that this is possible and sent me a confirmation email.

I already know that i will be told no by the store im going to. That store is chocked full of idiots that dont know anything. Last year the reps and i practically argued over the issue of combining two accounts from different markets (one arizona, the other louisiana) onto the same family plan and share minutes. They all said it couldnt be done due to taxes and stuff like that. I kept telling them yes it is possible and before cingular ever had anythign to do with ATT, it used to be done. i finally called ATT and was lucky enough to get a VERY kind lady that had been working for ATT since 1997 or so and knew EVERYTHING! it was amazing! needless to say i have both lines on the same account.

14. Matt H macrumors newbie

Okay, so this thread may answer a question that i posted a few minutes ago. My phone is due to be upgraded July 11th (tomorrow) and the 3g iphone comes out on July 11th (tomorrow). I can keep my family plan and just use the iphone as i'm using my current, due to be upgraded phone (it has a 3g sim card).

Thread i just posted : http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

15. m9sheldon macrumors newbie

My wife and I are on a family talk plan and I have a 2g iphone, she has a blackjack - I am upgrade eligible and she is not until august. AT&T told me that I could upgrade to the 3g, and give my original iphone to my wife as long as i purchased a new sim card for that old iphone. Her and I could keep the current family talk plan that we are currently on, but would have to pay the additional $10 for the 3g data package.

does this sound accurate based on what you've been told?

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I was not aware that it would extend not only the eligible line, but the other line also? Can someone please confirm this? I thought only the eligible line would be extended for 2 years..

17. jediistar macrumors 6502

Bump, because as he said...this plays into how early I need to wake up?!

Thoughts, any more confirmation of this?

18. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I went to my local ATT store this evening. They stated that it is possible and the eligible line will have the extension of service. You will not "switch" contract extensions.

19. jediistar macrumors 6502

No no I know that, I just wanted to know that there was indeed confirmation that they can and will do this tomorrow. Its an extra step for a rep which I really don't care about but if it can be done and seems like a large number of people have been assured it can be done than its worth heading in the morning and trying for it.

20. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Well it depends on your store, but my store said they will be doing this tomorrow morning. You will have better luck asking your store since some might have their own policies..

21. SullyDMB10 macrumors newbie

SullyDMB10

I was told by my store that the person whose upgrade you were using had to be there with you during the whole process because of the sim card switch or something. they would activate it on the eligible phone and then switch sims.

22. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Hmm that seems wierd since it is a family plan. I think if you are a authorized user you should be fine. Your store might have another policy though..

23. jediistar macrumors 6502

I am the account holder and for all they know I use both lines and I'm hoping since most of the reps in the store know me it won't be a big issue and while I hate to hold them up, its my money and my desire to own the product.

24. Matt H macrumors newbie

To be sure i understand this correctly, if you're an existing customer eligible to upgrade (while on a family talk plan) the data plan for the iphone 3g only costs 9.99/month? For example, *fake numbers* I'm i'm paying 39.99/month for a 3 phone family talk plan and i buy an iphone 3g while the other phones remain the same the total bill each month would be 49.99. Someone please confirm this and end my headache.

25. SullyDMB10 macrumors newbie

SullyDMB10