CONFIRMED! eBay purchased Verizon Micro-Sim works fine in NEW iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TB07-NJ, Mar 31, 2012.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I started a new thread because the previous one was getting off topic. This is the original thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1349815

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO VERIZON IPAD 3 - ATT IS MUCH EASIER TO DEAL WITH!

I purchased TWO sims off eBay. The first was a "full size" SIM cut down with a SIM PUNCHER to micro-size. This sim would not activate even after spending hours on the phone and in the store. Maybe I ruined it, maybe not. Maybe it was the wrong type, who knows, but it did not work.

The second one was an actual Micro Sim (not cut down) on the original VZW display card. Put it into my iPad and was up and running in 10 minutes.

This test solves a couple issues (mostly created by Verizon):

#1) MOST VZW stores will not replace a bad sim card at this time.
    #2) VZW says "we don't have PRE-PAID LTE simms." They are wrong. There is no such thing as a "pre-paid LTE sim." It's only a regular sim.

#3) If you are going nuts like I was and didn't want to deal with those VZW morons anymore and are willing to invest $5-$6 for peace of mind just buy a micro-sim off eBay and it will be fine.

The one I got was from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290686170016

The return address on the envelope was: Verizon Wireless, 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza #213, Chicago IL 60654. Obviously a franchise (if that) and not a corp store.

So if you are frustrated fighting with VZW or just want a couple extras SIMs don't be afraid to get it from eBay (or, at least, this seller) but MAKE SURE you get a micro-sim and NOT a cut down regular sim just to be 100% sure.

2. andrewnguyener macrumors member

Thanks for the confirmation! I just ordered one. Hopefully it works for me too :)

3. sekazi macrumors 6502

If it is like a AT&T non corporate store you can walk in and ask for one and they will just hand it to you for free.

4. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

I can't stand the corporate stores. They have hidden agendas, like saying that the unlimited data plan is non-transferable, when in fact it is.

5. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

It's not like an AT&T store, that why it's about a VERIZON sim. SOME people have scored one but MOST people have gone through hell and have had to return the iPad for a new one.

6. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Okay! Wow this is great to know...thank you. This solves a lot of headache.

7. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be clueless but what will one of these sims do for me and my LTE iPad?

8. TB07-NJ, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

It won't do anything for you until and unless your sim card gets shut down either by accident or after 5 months of non-use. The problem has been that Verizon both directly and through Best Buy, in most cases, has been unwilling to provide replacement sims after scamming some folks into a POSTpaid account upon activation. So when the user calls Verizon to shut down the POSTpaid account for a PREpaid account the SIM becomes useless and they won't replace it.

This would be one solution. The other solution, which many people (including myself) had to do was return the iPad for a new one with a functioning sim that could be setup for PREpaid. A very few folks were able to get one from Verizon either for free or for $10 or $15.

Be aware that once you use the PREpaid cellular data for the 30 PREpaid days and if you don't use it again for 5 months Verizon will shut down your account and kill your sim. ATT shuts down the account as well but the sim is still usable.

9. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

10. imlynxy macrumors 65816

GOOD NEWS!!!! :)

Only want to add: the sim should be 3FF model, not 2FF. Micro sim is 3ff. The seller is great and I just got mine yesterday. It came brand new in a Verizon envelope. I have no relation with the seller.

TB07-NJ, thank You very much for the solution. I don't think I need to experiment on my SIM, since You have the result already.

11. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Excuse my lack of know how here but why would you need to buy one of these sims and where's the sim slot that is user operable? I'm newb to the 3G 4g iPad. Have only had the wifi iPad 1 and 2.

12. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Read message number 8 in this thread.

The sim slot is on the side of the iPad. Not easy to see but if you look for a tiny "pin hole" you will find it. Also "reading the manual" will help. :) You can find the free manual as part of iBooks. Search for, ummm, iPad Manual. :) This is about the VERIZON iPad, if you have the ATT model ignore this thread.

13. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

Thanks for posting the info! I just ordered one. I have not activated (to test) my 3rd gen due to these stories. I won't need the service until later this year and didn't want to risk the 5 month expiration.

14. jaziCo macrumors regular

jaziCo

I already bought one from the same seller, so thats good to hear ti works.. think I'm gonna go ahead buy one more as a backup

15. randymac88 macrumors regular

I really appreciate the work you've done on this thread. I purchased 3 sims off eBay from the same seller you purchased from, on your recommendation.

Anyone else able to confirm that they're able to activate the new sim?

16. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

idk that, then why cant i transfer my unlimted data to an ipad?

17. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

No problem, but I never "recommended" that seller, only listed the one I purchased from because it worked. ;) The first one I bought (a full size sim I punched down with a sim cutter) did not from another seller.

18. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info OP! Any ideas if these sim cards have expirations? For instance, can I activate it a year from now?

19. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I can't say 100% but I would assume as long as you don't active them they are fine. Never heard of a sim card expiring when not activated.

20. ZipZap macrumors 601

That 5 months starts once you activate the sim for the first time. If you never activate the SIM does not expire.

21. trosa24 macrumors newbie

I can confirm that buying a new 3FF (3rd Form Factor) micro sim on eBay fixes the problem. Verizon Stores and Reps are clueless. Wish I did this from jump.

22. iCrosoft, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

You can, but you have to do it yourself (with an existing unlimited data plan). Why? Because Verizon wants to make more money.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343970

23. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

24. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

You mean ATT iPad (or phone?) unlimited? If it's the old original iPad unlimited plan to the new iPad just drop it in the new iPad and you're set. If it's an unlimited phone plan you can't as it is against ATT TOS and your phone sim will work but eventually they will tag you and it will be gone.

If it's a phone unlimited plan why even bother? The unlimited is only good for 3GIG before they throttle you down to 2G EDGE anyway.

25. andrewnguyener macrumors member

Thanks OP! Just got mine in the mail today and it worked like a charm! CONFIRMED!