RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I started a new thread because the previous one was getting off topic. This is the original thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1349815/

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO VERIZON IPAD 3 - ATT IS MUCH EASIER TO DEAL WITH!

I purchased TWO sims off eBay. The first was a "full size" SIM cut down with a SIM PUNCHER to micro-size. This sim would not activate even after spending hours on the phone and in the store. Maybe I ruined it, maybe not. Maybe it was the wrong type, who knows, but it did not work.

The second one was an actual Micro Sim (not cut down) on the original VZW display card. Put it into my iPad and was up and running in 10 minutes.

This test solves a couple issues (mostly created by Verizon):

#1) MOST VZW stores will not replace a bad sim card at this time.
#2) VZW says "we don't have PRE-PAID LTE simms." They are wrong. There is no such thing as a "pre-paid LTE sim." It's only a regular sim.

#3) If you are going nuts like I was and didn't want to deal with those VZW morons anymore and are willing to invest $5-$6 for peace of mind just buy a micro-sim off eBay and it will be fine.

The one I got was from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290686170016

The return address on the envelope was: Verizon Wireless, 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza #213, Chicago IL 60654. Obviously a franchise (if that) and not a corp store.

So if you are frustrated fighting with VZW or just want a couple extras SIMs don't be afraid to get it from eBay (or, at least, this seller) but MAKE SURE you get a micro-sim and NOT a cut down regular sim just to be 100% sure.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
If it is like a AT&T non corporate store you can walk in and ask for one and they will just hand it to you for free.

Comment

iCrosoft

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
If it is like a AT&T non corporate store you can walk in and ask for one and they will just hand it to you for free.

I can't stand the corporate stores. They have hidden agendas, like saying that the unlimited data plan is non-transferable, when in fact it is.

Comment

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
It's not like an AT&T store, that why it's about a VERIZON sim. SOME people have scored one but MOST people have gone through hell and have had to return the iPad for a new one.

Comment

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
Okay! Wow this is great to know...thank you. This solves a lot of headache.

Comment

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Sorry to be clueless but what will one of these sims do for me and my LTE iPad?
It won't do anything for you until and unless your sim card gets shut down either by accident or after 5 months of non-use. The problem has been that Verizon both directly and through Best Buy, in most cases, has been unwilling to provide replacement sims after scamming some folks into a POSTpaid account upon activation. So when the user calls Verizon to shut down the POSTpaid account for a PREpaid account the SIM becomes useless and they won't replace it.

This would be one solution. The other solution, which many people (including myself) had to do was return the iPad for a new one with a functioning sim that could be setup for PREpaid. A very few folks were able to get one from Verizon either for free or for $10 or $15.

Be aware that once you use the PREpaid cellular data for the 30 PREpaid days and if you don't use it again for 5 months Verizon will shut down your account and kill your sim. ATT shuts down the account as well but the sim is still usable.

Last edited:
Comment

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
GOOD NEWS!!!! :)

Only want to add: the sim should be 3FF model, not 2FF. Micro sim is 3ff. The seller is great and I just got mine yesterday. It came brand new in a Verizon envelope. I have no relation with the seller.

TB07-NJ, thank You very much for the solution. I don't think I need to experiment on my SIM, since You have the result already.

Comment

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Excuse my lack of know how here but why would you need to buy one of these sims and where's the sim slot that is user operable? I'm newb to the 3G 4g iPad. Have only had the wifi iPad 1 and 2.

Comment

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Excuse my lack of know how here but why would you need to buy one of these sims and where's the sim slot that is user operable? I'm newb to the 3G 4g iPad. Have only had the wifi iPad 1 and 2.
Read message number 8 in this thread.

The sim slot is on the side of the iPad. Not easy to see but if you look for a tiny "pin hole" you will find it. Also "reading the manual" will help. :) You can find the free manual as part of iBooks. Search for, ummm, iPad Manual. :) This is about the VERIZON iPad, if you have the ATT model ignore this thread.

Comment

gquiring

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
SC
Thanks for posting the info! I just ordered one. I have not activated (to test) my 3rd gen due to these stories. I won't need the service until later this year and didn't want to risk the 5 month expiration.

Comment

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
USA
I already bought one from the same seller, so thats good to hear ti works.. think I'm gonna go ahead buy one more as a backup

Comment

randymac88

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
I started a new thread because the previous one was getting off topic. This is the original thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1349815/

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO VERIZON IPAD 3 - ATT IS MUCH EASIER TO DEAL WITH!

I purchased TWO sims off eBay. The first was a "full size" SIM cut down with a SIM PUNCHER to micro-size. This sim would not activate even after spending hours on the phone and in the store. Maybe I ruined it, maybe not. Maybe it was the wrong type, who knows, but it did not work.

The second one was an actual Micro Sim (not cut down) on the original VZW display card. Put it into my iPad and was up and running in 10 minutes.

This test solves a couple issues (mostly created by Verizon):

#1) MOST VZW stores will not replace a bad sim card at this time.
#2) VZW says "we don't have PRE-PAID LTE simms." They are wrong. There is no such thing as a "pre-paid LTE sim." It's only a regular sim.

#3) If you are going nuts like I was and didn't want to deal with those VZW morons anymore and are willing to invest $5-$6 for peace of mind just buy a micro-sim off eBay and it will be fine.

The one I got was from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290686170016

The return address on the envelope was: Verizon Wireless, 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza #213, Chicago IL 60654. Obviously a franchise (if that) and not a corp store.

So if you are frustrated fighting with VZW or just want a couple extras SIMs don't be afraid to get it from eBay (or, at least, this seller) but MAKE SURE you get a micro-sim and NOT a cut down regular sim just to be 100% sure.

I really appreciate the work you've done on this thread. I purchased 3 sims off eBay from the same seller you purchased from, on your recommendation.

Anyone else able to confirm that they're able to activate the new sim?

Comment

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I really appreciate the work you've done on this thread. I purchased 3 sims off eBay from the same seller you purchased from, on your recommendation.

No problem, but I never "recommended" that seller, only listed the one I purchased from because it worked. ;) The first one I bought (a full size sim I punched down with a sim cutter) did not from another seller.

Comment

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for the info OP! Any ideas if these sim cards have expirations? For instance, can I activate it a year from now?

Comment

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Thanks for posting the info! I just ordered one. I have not activated (to test) my 3rd gen due to these stories. I won't need the service until later this year and didn't want to risk the 5 month expiration.

That 5 months starts once you activate the sim for the first time. If you never activate the SIM does not expire.

Comment

trosa24

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
I can confirm that buying a new 3FF (3rd Form Factor) micro sim on eBay fixes the problem. Verizon Stores and Reps are clueless. Wish I did this from jump.

Comment

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
my bad i was talking about att!
You mean ATT iPad (or phone?) unlimited? If it's the old original iPad unlimited plan to the new iPad just drop it in the new iPad and you're set. If it's an unlimited phone plan you can't as it is against ATT TOS and your phone sim will work but eventually they will tag you and it will be gone.

If it's a phone unlimited plan why even bother? The unlimited is only good for 3GIG before they throttle you down to 2G EDGE anyway.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.