Confirmed: US purchased 3G iPads work in Europe

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I have to admit, I was a bit nervous. If you or anyone else is interested I will post pictures of the sim card that it comes with, my new sim card and the amount of trimmings that is left over. :)
Go ahead I am planning to try and cut up my 3 out of my 7 old simcard to practice :cool:

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
Vodafone UK will be charging pay monthly customers £5 on their next bill for a new micro sim.

I rang up yesterday and asked, but the lady said they're not available yet.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Vodafone UK will be charging pay monthly customers £5 on their next bill for a new micro sim.

I rang up yesterday and asked, but the lady said they're not available yet.
I don't live in the UK but I'm just curious whether the £5 is per month or one time charge?

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I don't live in the UK but I'm just curious whether the £5 is per month or one time charge?
In sweden they will charge like $4 a month to use 2 sim cards. The gain with this is that I can use data on 2 devices at the same time.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I have the same thing here in Finland. It is a great deal. REAL unlimited data for only €9.90 a month.
Yeah. And for an extra $4 you get to use the iPhone as normal and get data on an iPad or whatever unit you want for the same cost as your iphone had :)

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
In sweden they will charge like $4 a month to use 2 sim cards. The gain with this is that I can use data on 2 devices at the same time.
With 1 plan??? :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Why the hell I am still here stuck with a country where $30 data plan FOR EACH DEVICES is "revolutionary"... (and AT&T still doesn't allow tethering lol)

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
With 1 plan??? :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Why the hell I am still here stuck with a country where $30 data plan FOR EACH DEVICES is "revolutionary"... (and AT&T still doesn't allow tethering lol)
Yeah, with one plan. My carrier only allows 5 GB of data transfer per month though. Although I've yet to hear anyone actually getting their speed limited after 5 GB. I pay close to $30 a month though, but then u can get the dual sims and whatnot. And I can tether my iPhone if I want, when I asked customer service if they allowed tethering they said "You can consume an unlimited amount of data in any way you want". Seems AT&T doesn't like it's customers.

EDIT: by the way, Sweden belongs to scandinavia.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Yeah, with one plan. My carrier only allows 5 GB of data transfer per month though. Although I've yet to hear anyone actually getting their speed limited after 5 GB. I pay close to $30 a month though, but then u can get the dual sims and whatnot. And I can tether my iPhone if I want, when I asked customer service if they allowed tethering they said "You can consume an unlimited amount of data in any way you want". Seems AT&T doesn't like it's customers.
Well you pay close to $30 and you can just add SIM cards and use the same plan for multiple devices... This is a much much better idea than having to pay $30 for iPhone as well as $15-30 for iPad.

To AT&T defense, however, if they allow tethering with their ever so crappy network, nobody could get on the 3G network :eek::eek:

I am lucky that places where I live have zero AT&T problem whatsoever but my friends in dense cities in California and New York reported some crazy 56k speed on their 3G devices ;)

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Well you pay close to $30 and you can just add SIM cards and use the same plan for multiple devices... This is a much much better idea than having to pay $30 for iPhone as well as $15-30 for iPad.

To AT&T defense, however, if they allow tethering with their ever so crappy network, nobody could get on the 3G network :eek::eek:

I am lucky that places where I live have zero AT&T problem whatsoever but my friends in dense cities in California and New York reported some crazy 56k speed on their 3G devices ;)
The difference is most likely population. Sweden got a total of 10 million inhabitants, so there isn't too much problems with overloading the networks. I usually get my 3 Mbit when tethering my iPhone 3G to my MBP. Sometimes there are advantages to living in a small country :p

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
The difference is most likely population. Sweden got a total of 10 million inhabitants, so there isn't too much problems with overloading the networks. I usually get my 3 Mbit when tethering my iPhone 3G to my MBP. Sometimes there are advantages to living in a small country :p
I totally understand... used to live in Singapore for years and it is really not that hard to provide 100% coverage in an island nation :D:D
Then again, the reasoning behind paying 2x $30 for two devices still boggles my mind

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I totally understand... used to live in Singapore for years and it is really not that hard to provide 100% coverage in an island nation :D:D
Then again, the reasoning behind paying 2x $30 for two devices still boggles my mind
Yeah, it seems strange you guys haven't gotten a big price fight amongst your carriers. I pay 34 bucks a month and get unlimited data and around 5.000 text messages, then pay 10 cents a minutes for calls, calls to people with the same carrier as me is free. And this is pretty standard for Sweden, some carriers have a bit cheaper data plan or that you pay 1-2 cents less a minute for calls outside your own carrier.

Seems your carriers either have bigger costs per customer or they all agreed on some "common lowest price" long ago ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.