Conflicted on buying the IPhone X

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not here to start a war, just here to share how I feel and I'm pretty sure how many others feel.

Let me first say this, I have owned the last 3 generations of the IPhone and really do love Apple and had the X come out a month ago I would have already bought it and would hopefully have it in my hands. That not being the case I decided to try out the Note 8. I mostly bought the Note 8 because I felt that Apple was trying to rope us into paying more installments for our previous IPhones by delaying the X. Yeah it would possibly only be one or two extra payments, but if it's delayed several months you could potentially turn in a phone back to Your carrier free and clear for them to resell for $500 and only owing a couple hundred on it, not cool.

So back to me getting the Note 8 and why I'm conflicted now. This phone has surpassed any expectations I initially had. I have owned Samsung phones in the past between IPhones but this has been the first to really grow on me. I have a few features I don't think I can live without.

1. That screen, yeah I know the IPhone X will be Oled but let's be honest Samsung has the best screens and the Note 8 has a higher PPI and screen resolution. But being on Tmobile this isn't too big of a deal since when I'm not on WiFi it's 480p for YouTube videos.

2. The Samsung Ecosystem, I own a 4k tv and I am able to easily cast to my tv and also cast what's on my tv back to my phone which helps when I'm in any room other than the bed room.

3. I can also cast onto my tv but have sound playback to my phone only. This is great when you want to watch tv but not disturb others.

4. The Biggest feature I would miss is Samsung Pay. And yes I know Apple has Apple Pay, but Samsung finally fulfills the promise of leaving your wallet at home. Samsung Pay works with the magnet swipers on the credit card terminals. This is a feature I really wish Apple had. I know NFC is the future but many retailers have still not implemented it yet. Also Samsung gives you rewards for using it. I currently have 5000 points which can be redeemed for a $25 best buy gift card or Chili's gift card. It can get awkward if they have the credit card terminal attached to the register and you have to tell them to trust you it will work, but when it does people are always amazed. I even had a girl at yogurtland the other day say she had the IPhone 6 which was messing up but didn't really like the IPhone 8 and was looking at Samsung phones.

The two features I do miss from the IPhone are 3D touch and Apple controls with siri working in my 2016 Camry.

The main reason I'm conflicted is Samsung is offering 40,000 rewards point with a Note 8 phone purchase which translate into a $200 Samsung Rewards Visa. I am on Tmobile JOD and would have to use my Jump on demand and Jump from the black Note 8 model to the other color choice they have and then I could get the 40,000 as the promotion started 10/19 and I bought mine last month. This would mean I would have to wait 30 days to try out the IPhone X and possibly several months after that if it gets really backordered. So my question to you guys is am I the only one on the conflicted boat or are there others like me?

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Just keep your Note 8.

I look forward to the iPhone X OLED screen running iOS.

I just couldn't live with android, I tried and i just couldn't get used to it.

If i was an Android only user, I would go for the Galaxy S8 personally. I don't like plus size phones.

Reactions: Cyberguycpt

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
Always remember you can preorder and try the X for what 14 days, I’d do that which should give you a few days to make the determination or stay with the Note 8 if it serves you well

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
It sounds like the Note8 working working well for you.

So why why switch? Plenty of time to do it next year.

I wouldn't be conflicted at all.
Lol.. one less preorder for you to compete with. Lmao.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Lol.. one less preorder for you to compete with. Lmao.
You're welcome to think that...but it would be untrue. So go ahead and pre-order this weekend. No difference to me.

I would stay with the Note8...that's my unfettered opinion.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
You're welcome to think that...but it would be untrue. So go ahead and pre-order this weekend. No difference to me.

I would stay with the Note8...that's my unfettered opinion.
I was just kidding. But thanks for your advise. I remember when the X was announced I vowed that it would be my next phone. Another thing I will miss would be the community. You guys, myself included get so geeked over Apple products. It makes me feel like a kid again. Lol.

Reactions: ray6712

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I was just kidding. But thanks for your advise. I remember when the X was announced I vowed that it would be my next phone. Another thing I will miss would be the community. You guys, myself included get so geeked over Apple products. It makes me feel like a kid again. Lol.
Well, I'm sitting this year out...sticking with my 6s.

Only thing I want is OLED and that's not happening with the 4.7" phone. No biggie...

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
I really appreciate everyone's comments, and thanks for not immediately going in on me about my post. I feel sometimes when you go to a Samsung forum and talk about Apple or and Apple forum and talk about Samsung it is equivalent to a Liberal going to a Trump rally or vice versa. Lol.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
None of those issues seem like dealbreakers to me honestly. I personally am so invested in Apple stuff that it would make no sense to go Android on any of my devices. And I say that because everything works perfectly, not because I can't make the switch. If you've got a MacBook, iPad, iPhone and you use lots of Apple services, it really doesn't make sense to switch other than satisfying some sense of temporary boredom or curiosity.

Yesterday

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Austin TX
I'd stick with the note 8 since you enjoy it. I didn't know that you can emulate the magstripe with samsung pay, which sounds amazing.
I'm probably getting the X (unless I can't preorder in time and they backorder for several months) because I tend to keep my phones for a while and need the long term OS support.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
But if size is your only issue, the X is barely bigger than your 4.7" phone...
At times, even the 4.7" is a little inconvenient for easy one-handed use.

I sincerely hope Apple will go OLED in something smaller than the ipX. Because if they don't, then I will keep this 6s for a long, long time.

Reactions: Bethanie21

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
I enjoy the iOS ecosystem too much to make a switch (I've tried a couple times and regretted it).

Sounds like you're in a similar boat with the Android ecosystem. I wouldn't switch if I were you.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I'm not here to start a war, just here to share how I feel and I'm pretty sure how many others feel.

Let me first say this, I have owned the last 3 generations of the IPhone and really do love Apple and had the X come out a month ago I would have already bought it and would hopefully have it in my hands. That not being the case I decided to try out the Note 8. I mostly bought the Note 8 because I felt that Apple was trying to rope us into paying more installments for our previous IPhones by delaying the X. Yeah it would possibly only be one or two extra payments, but if it's delayed several months you could potentially turn in a phone back to Your carrier free and clear for them to resell for $500 and only owing a couple hundred on it, not cool.

So back to me getting the Note 8 and why I'm conflicted now. This phone has surpassed any expectations I initially had. I have owned Samsung phones in the past between IPhones but this has been the first to really grow on me. I have a few features I don't think I can live without.

1. That screen, yeah I know the IPhone X will be Oled but let's be honest Samsung has the best screens and the Note 8 has a higher PPI and screen resolution. But being on Tmobile this isn't too big of a deal since when I'm not on WiFi it's 480p for YouTube videos.

2. The Samsung Ecosystem, I own a 4k tv and I am able to easily cast to my tv and also cast what's on my tv back to my phone which helps when I'm in any room other than the bed room.

3. I can also cast onto my tv but have sound playback to my phone only. This is great when you want to watch tv but not disturb others.

4. The Biggest feature I would miss is Samsung Pay. And yes I know Apple has Apple Pay, but Samsung finally fulfills the promise of leaving your wallet at home. Samsung Pay works with the magnet swipers on the credit card terminals. This is a feature I really wish Apple had. I know NFC is the future but many retailers have still not implemented it yet. Also Samsung gives you rewards for using it. I currently have 5000 points which can be redeemed for a $25 best buy gift card or Chili's gift card. It can get awkward if they have the credit card terminal attached to the register and you have to tell them to trust you it will work, but when it does people are always amazed. I even had a girl at yogurtland the other day say she had the IPhone 6 which was messing up but didn't really like the IPhone 8 and was looking at Samsung phones.

The two features I do miss from the IPhone are 3D touch and Apple controls with siri working in my 2016 Camry.

The main reason I'm conflicted is Samsung is offering 40,000 rewards point with a Note 8 phone purchase which translate into a $200 Samsung Rewards Visa. I am on Tmobile JOD and would have to use my Jump on demand and Jump from the black Note 8 model to the other color choice they have and then I could get the 40,000 as the promotion started 10/19 and I bought mine last month. This would mean I would have to wait 30 days to try out the IPhone X and possibly several months after that if it gets really backordered. So my question to you guys is am I the only one on the conflicted boat or are there others like me?
Samsung Pay really is amazing. You know some people won't leave iOS because of iMessages? Samsung Pay is like that but for mobile payments. I rarely ever carry cash and use my Chase debit to usually pay for everything. I need a money pouch around my neck to carry it. Sometimes I forget my debit at home like in my previous pants' pocket. Samsung Pay can save me in a pinch. MST > NFC

I get the same reaction too when cashiers tell me it won't work but when I tell them to hover the phone near the card reader, they get surprised. I do sometimes have to hand it to them but I'm not too OCD about them holding my phone. I have Apple Pay and Android Pay but don't bother to use either. They won't work at many restaurants I frequent.

That would be my only reason going back to Samsung. All for Samsung Pay. I personally would go iPhone X because I prefer the height better and no carrier bloatware. But you may need to wait it out a couple weeks after release. LG V30 and Pixel XL 2 have some bad displays.

Samsung could have a bad batch of displays on the X just to laugh at their rival. Defects and potential Burngate (burn-in) are bound to happen. Let the hoarders/scalpers be used as guinea pigs with the initial issues.

goshindoman

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2017
I really appreciate everyone's comments, and thanks for not immediately going in on me about my post. I feel sometimes when you go to a Samsung forum and talk about Apple or and Apple forum and talk about Samsung it is equivalent to a Liberal going to a Trump rally or vice versa. Lol.
I was amazed when I joined this forum. Not only is it very helpful but you have a Note 8 thread! I was truly shocked to find that.
I also belong to an Android forum and its true Android forums are not as tolerant nor friendly as this forum.

I own the Note 8. I simply purchase what gets the job done for me. I am not a fan of any brand and to be honest wished another brand made a mobile with an S-pen. I find Samsung after sales simply awful and would like to leave that brand. Problem is the Note 8 is a mini pocket PC and the S-pen is literally a mouse.
I am a techno addict and love this stuff regardless of brand.
Now this next comment is where I get flamed and roasted here... I have just purchased the SE to act as a source for the Oppo HA2 SE DAC Amp. The Oppo doesn't play well with USB-C connections. What happens is while the Oppo is connected to a device through USB-C rather than the Oppo charge the mobile the mobile charges the Oppo. Not the point.

Here is my problem with Apple. Let me say I have owned every type of Apple device from the iMac to...all of them.

If I purchase any other brand, by law, I get in Europe 20 days to return the purchase without reason. NOT with Apple though, once I remove that outer plastic cover I own it period? This is blatantly breaking the law here, the outlets know this they dislike it but its an Apple policy? I dislike that.
I dislike the fact Apple tell the outlets how to sell and even break common law! On every Apple stand in all the outlets in this country, Southern Europe, there is a notice warning customers that once bought you cannot return the device for a refund.
Apple here also dictate what prices their goods sell at. If an outlet has a sale and includes Apple, Apple will no longer supply that store.
This dictatorial behaviour from Apple is the reason I have refused to purchase further Apple since this sort of behaviour became prevalent here.
I do hope Apple owners will not be upset with me for making this post. I have zero problem with what people do with their money. Its just a principle of mine and personal to me.

To the OP. You should not be brand bound and buy what fulfils your needs. Despite my disappointment with Apple 'sales' policy I have bought an SE as I need one to fit my needs. I am a techno slut!

Pleased you are enjoying your Note 8. Like most flagship brands its a superb piece of kit.

Ryland

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
I was amazed when I joined this forum. Not only is it very helpful but you have a Note 8 thread! I was truly shocked to find that.
I also belong to an Android forum and its true Android forums are not as tolerant nor friendly as this forum.

I own the Note 8. I simply purchase what gets the job done for me. I am not a fan of any brand and to be honest wished another brand made a mobile with an S-pen. I find Samsung after sales simply awful and would like to leave that brand. Problem is the Note 8 is a mini pocket PC and the S-pen is literally a mouse.
I am a techno addict and love this stuff regardless of brand.
Now this next comment is where I get flamed and roasted here... I have just purchased the SE to act as a source for the Oppo HA2 SE DAC Amp. The Oppo doesn't play well with USB-C connections. What happens is while the Oppo is connected to a device through USB-C rather than the Oppo charge the mobile the mobile charges the Oppo. Not the point.

Here is my problem with Apple. Let me say I have owned every type of Apple device from the iMac to...all of them.

If I purchase any other brand, by law, I get in Europe 20 days to return the purchase without reason. NOT with Apple though, once I remove that outer plastic cover I own it period? This is blatantly breaking the law here, the outlets know this they dislike it but its an Apple policy? I dislike that.
I dislike the fact Apple tell the outlets how to sell and even break common law! On every Apple stand in all the outlets in this country, Southern Europe, there is a notice warning customers that once bought you cannot return the device for a refund.
Apple here also dictate what prices their goods sell at. If an outlet has a sale and includes Apple, Apple will no longer supply that store.
This dictatorial behaviour from Apple is the reason I have refused to purchase further Apple since this sort of behaviour became prevalent here.
I do hope Apple owners will not be upset with me for making this post. I have zero problem with what people do with their money. Its just a principle of mine and personal to me.

To the OP. You should not be brand bound and buy what fulfils your needs. Despite my disappointment with Apple 'sales' policy I have bought an SE as I need one to fit my needs. I am a techno slut!

Pleased you are enjoying your Note 8. Like most flagship brands its a superb piece of kit.

Ryland
The issue you are facing is really more of a region issue. Here in the states a phone can be returned I believe up to 15 days, though it may be 30.

But yeah we do have the issue with Apple brands never going on sell. I guess we are use to it because there are other brands that never go on sale either like Levis or Nike. A store can have a sale but both brand will be excluded. That's just a thing some brands do.

CeezNYC

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Longtime lurker, but I made an account for this exact reason. I really enjoy Apple products, but I don’t feel excited about the iPhone anymore. The X will be a great phone, but there is nothing ‘wow’ about it. I love the Note 8, well, the hardware/features. I have very little experience with the software and it scares me away from buying it.

I feel at this point iOS hasn’t evolved enough to feel exciting anymore and a lot of the software focus (emojis) doesn’t appeal to me at all. I’m now in this situation where I’m comfortable with something I no longer want and uncomfortable with something I do want.

If that makes sense...

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
The Note 8 is simply the best phone of the year....bar none.
Won't really argue with you with that even though I don't prefer Samsung's Grace UX and don't like Note8's height. But it is fast, beautiful screen, great camera, and better design.

If I ever did get Note8, it has to be unlocked because I hate carrier bloat. Anytime I see the carrier boot animation, it ticks me off. In TVs, LG surpassed Samsung with OLED. In mobile, LG is still behind Samsung.

I just can't live with the size. I'm typing on my SE right now and every time I type on my V20 where I type faster with it, the bulkiness starts to annoy me after awhile.

Best sweet spot for me is 4.7" iPhones - "5 Pixels dimensions with 5.3" minimum. My G5 with 5.3" is my favorite to type on but it is slightly unwieldy after awhile. Anything taller than 145mm and 71mm in width can do that for me.

The X is closer to the smaller Pixel size except taller display and doesn't have the onscreen buttons on the bottom that my Pixel had to make the keyboard smaller. Keyboard experience and one-handed comfort matters to me a little more. X marks those spots.

goshindoman

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2017
The Note 8 is simply the best phone of the year....bar none.
I am a Note 8 owner.
I do take exception to your post though. IN a nice way not confrontational. You write "The best".
Impossible statement to make. Your best, my best is not the next punters best.
I have re purchased Samsung since the S6 simply because of their cutting edge technology. Prior to that they where 'plastic metal', 'plastic leather' and 'plastic pretend stitching' that was horrible to hold and despite there price they did not feel like an Apple product or even some of the then new Chinese mobiles. I refused to continue buying that brand and went to Sony, Sony are a fantastic brand also.

Apple quality has always been simply superb. I mean even the boxing is quality! My Samsung S5 came in a brown box that looked like it held bird seed! Pathetic presentation.

In the past 5 years Samsung has been at the top of cutting edge technology also quality along with other flagship brands. Apple have always been a quality brand and with respect to Apple that is why they still sell. No way in hell would I insult myself by purchasing the 'new' iPhone 8! Its an insult to the Apple community. Apart from the A11 chip the rest of the phone is 6 years behind the rest of the community. Another reason I get upset with Apple, they sometimes 'play' on the good will of their faithful owners.
The iPhone 8+ is a very VERY good mobile. In some ways they have just caught up some flagship brands from two years ago though. The iPhone X maybe a truly worthwhile mobile that shows respect for Apple faithful owners.

If Music is your forte then go LGV30. If its camera, No idea. If its a mini PC with mouse that is accomplished in 'most' areas go for the Note 8 IF one is going to use the S-pen and if not try the S8+ or iPhone 8+.

Again with respect, there is seldom in life 'the best' its too subjective a terminology.

Nice debate, thank you.

Ryland

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
Apple would never hold a phone back in order to get more payments... They get paid up front for any new phone sold, whether it be from the carrier or from barclays bank who handles the Apple IUP financing. So they would never hold back because they already have all of their money for every phone sold out there.... Plus it would be silly for a huge company to hold back from selling a phone worth over a thousand just to get a few bucks on refurbs.

And it doesn't seem like much of a conflict, sounds like you like the samsung hardware and the eco system, those are the 2 key things and if you found the combination you like then I say stick with it... dont get blinded by the new flashy toy, just get what works for you!

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Apple would never hold a phone back in order to get more payments... They get paid up front for any new phone sold, whether it be from the carrier or from barclays bank who handles the Apple IUP financing. So they would never hold back because they already have all of their money for every phone sold out there.... Plus it would be silly for a huge company to hold back from selling a phone worth over a thousand just to get a few bucks on refurbs.

And it doesn't seem like much of a conflict, sounds like you like the samsung hardware and the eco system, those are the 2 key things and if you found the combination you like then I say stick with it... dont get blinded by the new flashy toy, just get what works for you!
The Second reason would be to try and Push the 8 and 8 Plus, which they knew people wouldn't really go for. I think that's the reason the IPhone 7 is outselling it. But it makes since, they can't say they had record IPhone sells it they only had the X which supposedly will be hard to get. But I think it backfired because most people didn't fall for it and now they are upping production of the X.