Conflicted on keeping Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by andrewtm, Sep 23, 2015.

1. andrewtm macrumors regular

I know there are probably tons of threads on this, but none have really applied to my situation.

When I got my Apple Watch, I was thrilled, but after nearly two weeks, I have mixed feelings. Initially, the call and text features were really cool, but now they seem pretty novelty. Same with other apps like photos, Twitter, maps, etc. I just didn't feel like constraining my apps to a small screen if my phone is close by. Do other people feel this way? I'm a college student so I don't have much on my calendar either, which seems like a big part of the watch experience.

I do like notifications going to my wrist, however most of the time I'm in DND anyway because I'm in many group texts and the notifications can get annoying.

So essentially all I've been using it for for the past two weeks is for telling time and lightly using the fitness tracker. Besides looking at the apps right when I got the watch, I haven't really found use for them in my everyday life.

Is there something I'm missing? Return day is tomorrow and I'm just very conflicted on whether to keep it.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Return it - that will help evaluate if you really miss it. Always can repurchase. I was on the fence for the first 4 weeks or so. Now I really enjoy it. Day 1 user.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just DND the group messages instead of DNDing the entire watch.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I posted a very long answer in the thread 'What do you use the watch for.' Or something like that.

It sounds like you may not have much of a use for it right now. But here's the acid test: return it. If you miss it, you'll have your answer.

5. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies!

In terms of if I miss it: I went without it today and didn't really notice a difference at all with anything except looking at it when I'm bored in class. However when I went to the gym I noticed I didn't have it on, but it wasn't a big deal.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Then return. You can always buy another when it makes more sense to have one.

7. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense, I think I'll do that then. I hear Watch 2 might even be coming out as soon as next year anyway, maybe I'll look around then. Thanks!

8. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

Also, I just read your post. It seems like since you have a lot on your calendar and such the watch makes sense. But for a college student who doesn't have a lot of that, and who can't reply to texts with a single word reply, it doesn't seem useful, you know?

9. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I use the single replies frequently because most of the time it's all that's needed. Like meet me at .... Or I'm heading home for dinner... You can alter them on your phone to show up on your watch and you can use Siri to dictate a message in text or voice in case you didn't realize that.

If you have a credit card that works with Apple Pay, that might be a nice thing to have on if you run low on cash (what student doesn't) and have places that accept Apple Pay to use it at. You can create a VIP list for email (maybe messages too but not sure) so that you only get alerted to those coming in to your watch. I personally find it helpful to glance at my watch to see the next scheduled event. I do make and take phone calls with it when it's not convenient to take out my cellphone. It's been a long time since I was a college student but I know funds are always low and books are expensive, so if you don't feel you'd miss it, then take it back. I'm a housewife and honestly wouldn't give mine up even though I don't really listen to music, have work related meetings to attend, or have to travel, which many here do and use it for that.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Return it and if you miss it you can buy again. I have gone days now without wearing my AW and I find that I am still alive and well. Most the time I had to remove my phone from the holster anyway so it was not saving me a bunch of trouble. My mechanical watch is loving being back on my wrist!

I might go back to my AW this weekend after I get the new iPhones set up but not in any hurry.

11. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

It's really no different than using a iPhone over a tablet, or a tablet over a laptop, etc. It's about convenience vs. using a larger screen. If the current Watch isn't doing much for you, I doubt the next generation will, either.

For me, as someone who was already wearing an analog watch, the difference in functionality is hugely helpful.

12. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I had a few issues with my apple watch till I picked up a few bands. Also figured out a good rotation for my other watches. Now only if my other watches could track my fitness as well lol.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Don't expect watch 2 to have a "I need this" feature. It's still just a smart watch.

14. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

All I can say is that I love mine, and my other watches unfortunately have gone by the wayside.

I look at it as the best $600 time keeping watch out there, I could get something with a name but I'd be paying more, I can pay less but have overall less enjoyment. However I'm a person who likes to wear watches.

I love wearing it, I love lookin at it, and I love taking phone calls on it! I thought that would be the last feature I'd use but it is very convenient to have a speakerphone attached to your arm while your hands are busy searching though a big bag of books for your keys...

15. iluvgadgets macrumors regular

If you really aren't happy with it, return it. You can always get another one later if you change your mind.

I always wear a watch anyway, so for me it works . I enjoy the fitness rings, being able to glance at texts, and a few apps I have set up on it. The calendar really helps and reminders. I had the Samsung watch before , so I was just waiting on Apple .

16. BrandonHacks macrumors regular

BrandonHacks

So far I've had mine for a week and love it. One of the greatest features for me is music control. Most of the day at work I cannot pull out my phone to change a station/song, but can do it from my wrist no problem. Everyday I get asked about it which is fun, Apple pay is great for when i get a haircut, being able to reply quickly to a text works great for me and controlling my lights is another big one for me.

If it doesnt work for you you've gotten several of the same answers... return it and if you miss it get it again.

17. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Apple Watch is an accessories (Webster definition: something added to something else to make it more useful, attractive, or effective) to iPhone, just like Louis Vuitton or Gucci handbag for some women, or some men. I am not aware of any women/men I know, who likes Louis Vuitton or Gucci handbag, return their handbag in 2 weeks, unless they really could not afford it.
    It is an accessories, if you could not justify buying accessories as "added to iPhone to make it more useful, attractive, or effective", don't buy it. You could use iPhone as it fairly well without Apple Watch.
    But I am keeping mine. It is more useful, attractive, and more effective. :)