iPad mini Confronting mortality and admitting rmini too small for me

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rajpatel, Dec 9, 2013.

1. rajpatel macrumors regular

I think today is about the seventeenth day I've had the mini. Used my ipad 4 for the first time in a month today, it was elsewhere. Feel such relief. Reading on the mini involves a lot of scrolling and zooming. Plus I'm 42

I thought I would never go back to reg ipad but I was flatly wrong. It's the mini I mite not go back to, tho I write this on it

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Have no idea what mortality has to do with it, but if a larger screen is what floats your boat, fine.

BTW, 42 is approaching middle age - not the end of life. :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's all about finding what's comfortable for you. Age has nothing to do with it, as I'm very happy with my iPad Mini, which I'm using to write this post, and you're young enough to be my child.

4. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I also found that the Air is more comfortable for use rather than my first gen Mini. I found myself taking off my glasses all the time to use the Mini, not required for the Air. :( And I'm 46...

Clint

5. Akack macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the ipad air would be perfect for you!! Much lighter than the ipad 4 but still keeping the screen size.

I upgraded from the 3 to the air and well worth it.

6. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

38 to 42 is the age range that aging starts to affect your vision... reading glasses, then bifocals, and it just keeps going.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yah, I'm 42 and getting close to the vision degradation stage. Even so, the mini is just too small for me so I've always been a full size iPad dude.

8. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

Relief

All I keep thinking is......relief.

It started like this. A month ago, I was broke. I was in between pay checks. U know how it is. I pawned my ipad 4. Around that time, I got the idea to ask for a renewal from a credit card company where I just spent the last five years paying down a two thousand dollar balance to zero. Lots of missed months, late fees, interest etc. so they like me. Sent me a new card. I bought the retina mini. That was nov 22, the day I read in the news that u can walk into apple store and get retina mini. I always wanted one since oct 2012 when mini came out.

I still think it is great. But reading and browsing Internet on it is more work. I think I feel now ten inches is perfect for web browsing. I still loooove the retina mini for its form factor, speed, sharp display, elegance, light weight. I love it as a Ebook reader. I also think its great and still better than ipad 4 for tv and movies but that is perhaps because I usually find those a bit intrusive and obnoxious though I almost always avail of iTunes weekly dollar movie.

9. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

For me it is def a resolution thing. The ole eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I found myself using my iPhone 5 for browsing (reading) rather than the Mini.

Now I have a rMini. Much better.

10. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I can't tell by his forum-handle and there is no location listed on his profile.. the OP could be from the Congo or Sierra Leone. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

11. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I'm more concerned about your thinking process than your eye sight. Forty two years old, broke, between pay checks and you talk a credit card company into giving you a new card.

Your first action should have been to cut the card into tiny pieces but instead you buy a new iPad.

Man, what are you thinking ???

12. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

Y'all are some real wet blankets. It's an ipad, not a mansion in the hills or a Porsche. I guess if I was on here with thousands of posts and a zillion dumb and pointless devices and gadgets I would be more accepted. Thanks for condemning my life in a few short and ignorant words. Yes, I have little money. It doesn't mean I'm worthless. At least I am not jumping thru hoops set up by some fat middle aged hag or giving her half my money, or worrying about bratty ungrateful kids and their annoying brat friends. There is a silver lining or two in here somewhere but I wouldn't expect some narrow minded computer nerd wealthy elitist who measures success by money to understand that.

13. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

You need to be prepared to be judged on this site. Thick skin. It's the nature of this place...

14. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The retina iPad Mini is good for portability, but (im not saying your old. 42 is young, not even mid life crisis) I would recommend the iPad Air. Age does unfortunately take its toll on the eye. I has the retina display and i have a larger 9.7' screen. The iPad Air is larger and is heavier, but readability on the larger screen is better then looking at a 7.9' screen. You do not have to zoom in all the time.

15. rajpatel thread starter macrumors regular

I agree completely. The zooming thing done gotten old after three wks

Using my ipad 4 today for first time in a month, the very dramatic diff between ipad 4 and mini retina was driven home. Sure the mini is portable but reading on it and esp web browsing is significantly more tedious than on ipad 4

16. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Totally agree. The Air is light and the bigger screen is a much better experience. I feel an inexplicable draw to the mini. But the screen really is just too small for me. For portability, I have my phone.

17. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

I'm in my mid-40s and I likewise prefer the slightly, but significantly, larger screen of the air... Gave my mini to the wife. I'm not interested in the rumored 12 inch device though, 9.7 is at the edge of portability IMO.

18. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

To each their own I guess. I turned 43 the last week of November and wear mild prescription glasses. I bought the iPad Air on release day and processed a return for it the day the rMini preorder came online. Having been using the mini for 14 days now I am confident I made the right decision for myself. Portability is key for me and I have found myself using the rMini 2x as much as I was the Air. It even fits perfectly in my water coat pocket and travels with me everywhere. I have also found it much more comfortable to use while reading/watching movies in bed and haven't found the scrolling to be a deal breaker. Again, to each their own.

19. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

10-inch format was "set in stone" by Steve Jobs, just like iPhone's 3.5 inch. He was very radical and ridiculed both 4"+ phone size and 7-8" tablet size. But years of usage by millions of users proved that for a phone 4.5-5.5" size is more optimal. Same with 10" size. People are turning more and more to a book-reader screen size - 7-8". It's the same size as pocket books, organizers, pocket notebooks (paper), travel guides, etc. - there's a reason this size is so popular, and that reason is that something is useless if you don't have it with you.

10-inch size is awkward and eventually, you'll find yourself carrying it less and less and leaving it at home and then it becomes just a home appliance like a TV.

20. gatearray macrumors 65816

That's a lot of justification in packed into a single post. So you're saying jumbo phones are "optimal", full-sized tablets are "awkward", and Steve Jobs was wrong, got it. :rolleyes:

21. OCJeff macrumors regular

+1

I've used both, have both and the mini is stuck with the young ones and their games, it's just too small for reading easily but I do admit it's damned sharp and crisp. Not that my eyes can see that anymore. Ever since lacics 2 years back.

22. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I loved having the retina mini for the last two weeks. the overall size was great and the weight was ideal. But I exchanged my retina mini for an iPad air because reading on the the mini was causing eye strain. Text at times is too small on the retina mini for comfort.

23. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Late 40's here - rMini, 5S, Macbook Air 13" - need my glasses (varifocals) for them all!

24. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

You are a valued human being. [​IMG]

There always is. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Too bad about the rMini. It was the same for me. Good luck to you.

25. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I returned a Mini because of the text size on the OS screens. Yes there are options (cough cough) that help with bold in some areas and larger fonts in others but the menu items still remain in pathetically small point size even though there is really room for larger fonts.

I find it sad that Apple insists on form over function when it would be just as easy for them to offer as example a choice between 4x5 icons on the top screen and 3x4 or something akin to that with larger fonts underneath and why does the options at top and bottom within the Music menus have to be so again pathetically light and small in size? This too could easily be fixed.

Just so you know - when I returned my retina iPad Mini to the Apple Store, the guy who helped me out mentioned that in 2 days he had 7 returns for the same reason.

Meanwhile, I'll checkout the Air and more so - other makers. I find it sadly funny that even some of the smart phones by other makers are easier to read than the retina iPad Mini. Oh well.

For those that enjoy their retina iPad Mini I say bravo as that is what it is all about - right tool for the right person.