Carrier confused about ATT next loophole?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Feb 9, 2014.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

Read this article
    http://consumerist.com/2014/01/21/att-letting-customers-out-of-contract-if-they-switch-to-att-next/

1. I used full upgraded to $299 32gb iPhone 5s first day it came out in Sept 2013.

I know I am "eligible" for NEXT upgrade after 6

So if I switch to ATT next and re buy another next phone than my 2 year contract is terminated? For free? Assuming I pay off next phone early?

Seems like a great way to get 2 iPhone 5S ($299) (one in sept 2013) and one 6 months ($750) later. So total price would be $1050/2. Or $525. No bad deal and just move both lines over to prepaid plans and save even more money?

Reason I am saying this is they try to force u to the mobile share value plans. I'd rather keep my old voice/data plan.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01/20/att-customers-who-are-6-months-into-their-contract-can-switch-to-next-plans-starting-today/

2. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Before the new release data plans were announced the data shared plans were terrible.

It was no point at all to move toward the data shared plans only if someone valued unlimited talk then it would be beneficial for them. But since data rules nowadays... AT&T were restricting users with the old data shared plans.

But with the new shared data plans... Had me rethink my initial thoughts regarding the shared data plans. I have a 4 lines which 2 has unlimited data, one has the 3GB plan & the other line is with the iPad for 250MB. I went with the new shared data plans... And I can't wait to see the bill :D

But one line has AT&T Next plan only because my family member continues to keep changing phones.. So, I figured why not go with the plan. AT&T Next plan is straight forward... If you pay off the phone during the plan, you keep it. Yet you rather continue with the plan..in 6 months you have to return the phone to exchange it with another.

3. Nathan21585 macrumors member

But one line has AT&T Next plan only because my family member continues to keep changing phones.. So, I figured why not go with the plan. AT&T Next plan is straight forward... If you pay off the phone during the plan, you keep it. Yet you rather continue with the plan..in 6 months you have to return the phone to exchange it with another.[/QUOTE]

That's incorrect about 6 months. You sign either a 20 month or 26 month installment plan. On the 20 you can trade the phone in after 12 months or 18 on the 26 month. You don't have to trade it in though. You can continue paying through the installment plan and after 20 or 26 payments it will be your phone.

4. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

I just don't get ATT. They want people to move towards NEXT. But also pushing mobile share value plans.

Why can't I keep my old plan to move a line to NEXT. I guess technically I can still do next and keep old plan. But my original 2 year contract still is in force. So NEXT is not convincing enough unless it's combined with mobile share value.

5. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

My apologies, I was wrong.. It is a yearly cycle in regards to trading it in.

But to the OP what is your old voice/data plan?

6. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

I still got the $69.99 700 min family talk 2 lines with $9.99 add a line plus $20 unlimited family text.

I actually called ATT rep. Turns out I can keep my voice/data plan.

I am going to use line 4 (just upgraded to 5s $299 sept 21 2013). Apparently I am eligible for next right now. It's my junk line I use flip phone on. But i used subsidy upgrade on line 4 and than switched it to flip line.

Anyways. Rep said I am eligible for next even at 4 months. So I will buy next phone. Go installment. Just pay it in full in one month and be completely off contract.

Cancel line. Wait for iPhone 6 in sept 2014. Add a line for subsidy at $199/299 again.

Think I figured out the system.

7. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Great. So, assume you still have the unlimited data plan?

I have 2 lines eligible for AT&T Next plans... yet Imma wait for the iPhone 6 to drop and use it on one of the eligible lines.

I kinda dig the Shared Data plan.. I normally have my iOS devices jailbroken and use them for tethering, but since I have the plan I don't have to worry about AT&T detecting it and use the default hotspot that came with with Shared Data plan...

8. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Wow the lengths some people will go to.

9. easy-peasy macrumors regular

Ever been to the forums on slickdeals?

I've seen people talk happily about ripping off a non-profit, committing fraud, or even saying their family member died to score a deal.

10. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Hey. This is all legal. I am going to fulfill my obligations. Get into next program so my Sept 2015 contract is canceled. Than pay off the NeXt phone in full. Than wait 6-7 months for next iPhone. Than add a line and go back on contract for $199/299 price.

If I had used my other 2 subsidy upgrades i had before Feb 1, i probably would have switched to the 10gb mobile share plan.

11. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Be sure to read this thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1703708

12. easy-peasy macrumors regular

I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing. In fact I admire you sharing the knowledge with others. Just was responding to rablat's comment about "Wow the lengths people will go to" by giving him some perspective.

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Sure but when that loophole gets closed or the user gets booted from att he will be singing a different tune.

14. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Haters gonna hate ! Psst .....

15. sixrom macrumors 6502a

There is no loophole, only people who fail to read terms and agreements. If you believe a massive company like AT&T would allow it's army of lawyers to screw up, your awfully gullible.

16. Prise macrumors regular

Then, go onto the next arbitrage opportunity. They'll always exist.

17. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

18. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Exactly. In 2009. When the etf was $175. People knew it was cheaper just to add a line to get the $199 iPhone 3GS. Than cancel the line. Pay the $175 etf. Even with activation cost. Spending around $400 for new iPhone 3GS out of contract was far cheaper than $599 iPhone 3GS at the time.

Same with Verizon's real unlimited loophole that was finally closed march 2012.

It's always a cat and mouse game.

ATT is figuring not enough people will do what I will do to make much of a difference.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not everyone is benefited by the Mobile Share plans. If you are an individual it suits you best to stay solo.

20. rgctx macrumors regular

NO, your ACCOUNT will still have a 2 year agreement in effect. When you pick a NEXT device your ACCOUNT will automatically renew for 2 years, YOUR ACCOUNT not the phone line. When you purchase the next device and if you pay it off in a month your free to do with it as you please, BUT your account will still have a contract in effect for two years, so you would still have to be on a plan, meaning you will be charge a ETF if you close out your account.

If you buy a iphone 5s for $199 today and do a 2 year contract the contract applies to the account not the phone, your just getting special pricing because you signed a SERVICE CONTRACT on your account. When you upgrade to a next device your contract will reset to another 2 years, keep in mind this applies to the account, not the phone.

read the fine print, you will see this in there.

i actually went through this and thats how i found out.

21. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Doesn't make any any sense.

If I have 6 months left and go to next. My account isnt reset 2 years. No way. I called the rep myself yesterday.

You go on installment plan for device and if you pay it in full you are done.

The only time I have ever heard it reset 2 years is when you add a FAN account. That will reset your contract (but it doesn't reset your full subsidy upgrade date).

22. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'm not so sure I'd always rely on something a "rep" said. I've never heard of adding a FAN resetting your contract...

23. bobright macrumors 601

I thought if you paid off your phone through Next you are free to get out of your contract?

24. Prise macrumors regular

No, my understanding is as follows: (1) anyone on contract 6 months prior to 2/2/14 may upgrade via Next without ETF penalty and qualify for the $15 per phone discount on <10 GB shared plans; (2) old phones are free and clear, and may be sold; (3) though ETF is waived for for upgrade, time frame on contract still exists.

Whether the users upgrades or not, he can still opt for the $15 per phone discount on shared plans less than 10GB data. At least, that's my understanding, unless ATT has changed the plans, which has been quite fluid recently.

25. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Do you think AT&T would hamstring themselves that easily? Of course you're still under contract. The only benefit you get on Next is the discount on your phone.

Plus, I wouldn't listen to what the rep says. They'll lead you astray and then months later you find out you have an ETF when you thought you were the one getting over on them. Record them or have them submit it in writing. Probably the only way you can get out of it.