Confused (iOS 5): Are the new Multitasking Gestures an iPad 2 only feature?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dooyou, Sep 17, 2011.

1. dooyou macrumors regular

Hello everybody,

yesterday I bought a brandnew iPad 1. Gen and I was looking really forward to use iOS 5 on it. I very dislike clicking the home button, so the pinch to get back to the home screen is a killer feature. I bought the iPad 1 instead of second gen. because Apple doesn't offer this feature as a "iPad 2 only" gesture. So I thought I will be also very fine with the iPad 1.

But now I read in a lot of forums that this feature is still missing again for the iPad 1. And now I'm worried.

Was the pinch to return to the Home screen always a iPad 2 only feature or did they disable it silently from iOS 5 Beta 1 - 7? Theres no official statement from Apple. I wouldn't be wondering if they say buy the iPad 2 if you want it.

Any chance that they include it again in the final release or is it gone forever if somebody know that? Because Beta 7 is mostly bugfixing.

Apple-Page:
    "iOS 5 includes a few new moves and shortcuts to help you get around even quicker on your iPad: Using four or five fingers, swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar, pinch to return to the Home screen, and swipe left or right to switch between apps."

They don't except iPad 1. Gen like Airplay which is only for the iPad 2.

2. Menel, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It's not explicitly stated for gestures, like it is for AirPlay. Sad if they didn't state it clearly here.

Googling shows many reporting that iPad 1st doesn't get the gesturing.

The gesturing is very nice, I thought it was weird at first, but it feels so much more natural and fluid moving in and around apps.

[​IMG]

3. shandyman Suspended

4. dooyou thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, it seems that I can forget to have these new great gestures official on my ipad 1.gen then? Is it only marketing-strategy?

5. shandyman Suspended

The workaround I posted should work fine. Gestures were slightly sluggish on iPad 1 compared to 2, so that's prob why.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yeap :apple: way since they started it in dat garage!

7. dooyou thread starter macrumors regular

That was what I loved on my HP Touchpad, WebOS was slow on that device, but multitask gestures worked very fine. I never used the home button.

I didn't took a look on your workaround until yet, but I read about xcode (thats okay for me) or jailbreaking (which is no option for me).

8. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

It's getting slightlymannoying this. A device thatmis just over a year old, and it's replacement a few months old, is already getting very obsolete. It's absurd.

9. shandyman Suspended

iPad 1 is a year and a half, it's still being supported, just not getting one feature, it's still getting the new notifications and iCloud. Apple always leave out a feature or 2 when a device is a year old, this is nothing new.

10. dooyou thread starter macrumors regular

Thats right, but on their page (or i'm stupid?) are the new multitask gestures not offered as a ipad 2 only feature. But we talked about that already, sadly. Pinch out to home screen is just like a basic feature which every tablet should have.

11. shandyman Suspended

Yea true, could be a marketing glitch tho

12. al1cre macrumors member

Enabling gestures on an iPad 1 is only a matter of modifying a config file that you don't normally have access to. The internet will show you how to get a fee backup program that lets you export that file. Modify it and then import it back in and gestures work great on an iPad1. That file is not overwritten with subsequent OS updates, so no worries.

13. dooyou thread starter macrumors regular

Without jailbreak? (this is what i don't wanna do)

This would be awesome! But Apple in the past found always a way to put a stop on similar roundups.

14. shandyman Suspended

Yea the link i gave is how to do it on windows without jailbreaking.

if you're on a mac, then you just need to use xcode, which is free if you go for the version before the current one, also without jailbreaking, or you can use the same program as the windows link.

the backup program is http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm
    That guide again is here - http://www.icopybot.com/blog/enable-multitouch-gestures-on-ipad-without-jailbreaking.htm

15. dooyou thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man! But this is about iOS 4.x which isn't interesting for me because iOS 5 is still on arrival. Will this working on iOS 5 too?

16. shandyman Suspended

presumably as the file is a standard file for iOS. I've not got my 1st gen iPad anymore, so can't test it.

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

Apple gives xCode for free from MAS now.

18. shandyman Suspended

Even the latest version? Last I heard it was the version before was free as I stated.

19. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yeah it is the latest version 4.1

20. dooyou thread starter macrumors regular

But i couldn't find any information that this hack is working also with iOS 5. Apple isn't stupid.

21. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

This feature doesn'w work really well on a 1 gen iPad., pinch to homescreen and swipe up to show open apps are fine but swipe left/right to get the next open app is slow, it takes a second more or less to "activate" the app while in the iPad 2 is almost instantaneous

22. dooyou thread starter macrumors regular

This is only what I need. I loved that from my HP Touchpad. But I think Apple doesn't care what Dooyou from Macrumors would like to have :)

But thanks for that information.

23. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

'Almost' instant on my fat pad. Certain not a second plus. Pages will follow your finger almost immediately.

24. dooyou thread starter macrumors regular

I think that depends certainly on how many (and which) apps are opened because the lack of ram.

25. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's really as simple as:(1) download Xcode. (2) plug in your iPad. (3) open Xcode. (4) hit " use for development" in Xcode. (5) use your new gesture features.