Confused - Running Leopard on 2 Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Epsilon88, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I bought a Powerbook a few years ago for my grandmother along with the full retail version of Leopard (I believe it was non-family pack). Anyway, I installed it on her computer and it runs fine. She uses it for email and Solitaire. Flash forward three years, and I am selling off my computers and software. One of the items is this full install disk. Can I sell it to someone else, or do I need to go up to grandma's first and erase her hard drive? :p

Would the buyer be unable to use the software, or would it just conflict with a technicality in the EULA? What would you recommend? Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would keep it in case your Grandma ever has problems
    That way you have the install disk to use to troubleshoot and reinstall

Regardless, I wouldn't sell it, but that's just me

3. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

That does make sense, but I do want to sell if possible. I haven't touched it in years.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Is it installed on your grandmother's computer? As long as it is, you cannot sell it.

If you go to a shop, put items into your pocket, and leave without paying, is that just a technicality in the shop's terms of service?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install discs that come with a Mac are not for resale, unless you're selling the Mac that they go with. They should be kept with the Mac, whether you've used them or not. I would never buy a Mac that didn't include the original install discs. The original install discs can't be used on any other model, anyway, so their sale value is little or nothing.

6. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, you're misunderstanding... this is for the full retail version that I purchased after the original install disks were lost.

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

Of course you can resell that, and they command a premium price on e-bay because they are rare. I am not sure about the issue of it being installed on a computer. However, if you do sell it, you will be up a creek if the G4 needs a reinstall.

8. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can sell it . However, it is technically illegal to sell the install disc(s) for software you still use.

Regardless of that, I think it's a serious mistake to ever put yourself in a situation where you allow the install disc for software you're still using to become unavailable. You may not have used it in years, but what if something happened and you needed to be able to boot that PowerBook from the CD and then re-install?

I think it's a mistake to sell it. You already own it and you are still using it (well, your grandmother is still using it).