Confused...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigcletus123, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bigcletus123 macrumors member

bigcletus123

I'm in the market for a tablet. I have 2 Apple products now, a Mac and an iPhone 4. However, I keep hearing/reading that Samsung Galaxy 2 is a better value. Then again someone wrote that Asus T700 is better than both iPad and Samsung due to the quad processor. I only want to do this once lol. Can anyone provide pros/cons to each platform ?? (or if this has already been addressed perhaps a link to the thread)

Thanks

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You really won't notice much difference with the speed. And what the technical specs are shouldn't matter to a normal user.

3. dchao, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

They are both good tablets.

IMO, when you buy Apple products, you buy into Apple's life style, the simplicity, the UI, iTunes, App Store, iCloud, AirPlay. If you don't care any of that, get something else, it would be cheaper, Apple is never about value for money.

4. bigcletus123 thread starter macrumors member

bigcletus123

Thanks for the responses...(they were far tamer than I expected lol)

5. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

I'm far from an expert, but as I have an iPhone 4, macbook and an iPad, the sycing makes it all worth it IMO to get the iPad tablet. Its seamless, super easy, all the products have the same type of UI and it just makes it all incredibly easy to switch back and forth.

6. bigcletus123 thread starter macrumors member

bigcletus123

I guess I've found a couple negatives on both platforms:

iPad - non expandability (memory), "closed system", i.e. iTunes

Samsung galaxy 2 (10) - camera is supposedly inferior, and Skype is flaky on it.

I guess I'll buy them both, one after the other and take them each for a test drive. Thanks for the great info..

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

This is what I meant by the Apple life style. iTunes, iCloud, AirPlay.... and they are like cracks, very addictive. So watch out.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not sure what people mean when they say iTunes is "closed." I mean, the only thing that is closed is the apps. Everything else, you can buy from other sources and drag them into iTunes. Books, music, videos... I almost never buy any of them from iTunes, but I have more than I can fit into my iPad and iPhone combined. Sure, if you don't want to go outside iTunes, it's super easy to just stay inside the system, but if you are willing to do a little extra work, it's also not that hard to tweak the system to your convenience.

9. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

iPad has the best display of any tablet right now, and the best app ecosystem by far.

Android devices are getting left behind on updates long before iOS devices are discontinued.

While Android devices are improving, I cannot recommend them.

10. kokhean macrumors regular

Not even the Nexus 7?!

11. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Whether the hardware is good or not (people are reporting issues with the touch screen being unresponsive) it doesn't change the fact that the app ecosystem is limited on Android compared to iOS. Many top-tier developers are avoiding Android due to rampant piracy.

Sure, it's "open" and you don't need a license to publish on it, but that doesn't change the fact that there are a very limited number of good apps compared to iOS.

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

If you have the money and time, and want to feel like Woz for some days then go a try the other stuff.
    Any of those have a "Retina" Display? How long their battery lasts?
    Can you run all the iOS stuff that you already have?
    Can you sync your data seamlessly?

You can expand the iPad's storage, cloud services and external hard drives do the trick.
    http://bit.ly/QwH1p4

The true value that I see in my iOS devices is: I can do almost anything that I need with them, including things not sold by Apple, like Kindle Books, Amazon MP3 music, and videos out of my personal DVDs, all are handled pretty well.
    If needed there are some Apps that play Flash videos also.
    Remote connection to my Mac is something that I know can be done, but have not yet really needed.

13. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

At this point, I'd recommend an iPad over any other tablet for three reasons:

1. Quality of apps that are designed specifically for a tablet
    2. iCloud integration for people who use Macs or other iOS devices
    3. Overall hardware quality

The Nexus 7 is an impressive Android tablet, but it's still behind in most areas.

14. dchao macrumors 6502a

iCloud can be used on Windows too. There is a iCloud control panel app for Windows. Once you get hooked, Apple are hoping you will upgrade to a Mac in the future.

15. NbinHD macrumors 6502

I suggest you decide what operating system you want to us first. Personally I think iOS is a better OS on the tablet market. Then you can decide what tablet you want with your preferred OS. Only the hardware really matters on Android. iOS is a lot better with its hardware requirements so you dont need top o the line specs for iOS. Go in store and play with them. I do that even if I'm not even goin to think of buying it. I sit there for hours playing with them.

16. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

It's only as closed as you make it feel like. I have yet to run out of memory to the point where I miss not having expandablitiy.

I agree that having to connect to the iTunes to sync can be a pain at times. But I find that I only connect to my computer for 2 things: Transfering music that I have from CDs (Yea I still buy them at concerts..xD); and for backing up (Which you can just do with iCloud, yea). For anything else, I simply drop it on Dropbox or mail it to myself. Be it documents or pictures or whatever else I do with this thing.

A lot of apps take advantage of the retina display. Also, things look billion times better than anywhere else. To the point where I don't like watching/reading things on my computer anymore.

I would suggest going for the iPad if you can.

17. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

The whole notion of iOS being closed is some of the biggest BS floating around the net these days. Yes, apps do need to be coded specifically for iOS. But the same applies for just about everything, including Android and Windows Phone, except for web apps. Open/closed is largely an irrelevant concept now because of how huge the app ecosystem is in either iOS or Android. In fact, most popular apps now have cross-platform support, so it doesn't even matter if you're on Android or iOS.

That said, I've used both and my own personal observation is that there is a higher percentage of quality apps on iOS. And that makes all the difference in the world. Then of course there's the tight integration you get between iOS devices. I've looked at getting the Galaxy S3, but then I'd lose iMessage capabilities. I'd also have to find some third party support to sync all my photos in iPhoto and all my music/movies/tv shows in iTunes. And then even though most of my apps are available on Android as well, I'd have to repurchase them. And for the apps that are iOS-only, I'd have to find a similar replacement or I'm just SOL.

It'd be one thing if the Mac and iOS devices weren't so tightly integrated (especially now after Mountain Lion) ... but they are. And that makes it tough to bring in an Android device into my daily workflow.

18. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Exactly.
    I don't get why it's the first thing people say, "It's a closed environment" as an argument against iOS > Androids.

Apps need to be coded specifically for everything anyway. It's worse for Androids with their fragmentations. It makes no sense at all.

I get that some people might not want to spend the extra dollars on getting mo space, but that doesn't mean it's "closed".

And the itengrations in ML just makes it even better.

19. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

When people are saying that iOS devices are "closed" it's because you need a Mac for iOS development in XCode, you need to pay $99/year to become a registered developer, your apps need to be approved by Apple, and Apple takes a cut on every sale you make.

It absolutely is a closed platform compared to Android.

The reason this comes up a lot when people are asking which they should choose, is because Android attracts the hacker/coder crowd that want complete control over their device and what apps they can put on it.

From an end-user experience, it doesn't really make a difference in practice. The iOS App store is considerably larger than Android, apps are more polished, and because they have to go through a certification process, there's almost no risk of malware on the platform. There's also significantly less piracy, and better developer support as a result.

20. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

That's the key, too.

Leading class apps can't make near enough to support a developer on Android because apps are so easy to pirate. I've tried to explain to friends why it is that iOS gets great apps weeks, months, or even years before Android, but they dont seem to understand that it comes down to two things:

1. Simplicity of the development process
    2. Ability to make money

If Android were first in either of those areas, at least a handful of high quality apps would debut there.

21. dchao macrumors 6502a

Another Example of Apple is a closed environment:

iCloud vs Dropbox.

Dropbox uses file system. iCloud use proprietary API.

And Apple want everyone to use iCloud, including PC users too.

22. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Well then, I certainly won't consider one now. ;)

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not a fair comparison. iCloud actually syncs data between devices. That is, you add an appointment to your calendar on your iPhone, and the appointment turns up on your iPad and on your Mac. Dropbox syncs files and folders. There is a bit of overlap between the two services, but overall, they are not trying to do different things.

24. dchao macrumors 6502a

What are files? Files are just data. The two services are actually trying to achieve the same goal.

iCloud can do everything Dropbox can do but more, only difference is that Apple are defining the iCloud API at a much higher application layer (where as Dropbox uses the standard file system). And, with iCloud, the data are sandboxed so users don't have to worry what type of data is being sync'ed (it could be a document - Pages, bookmark - Safari, photo - iPhoto, appointment, contact....), and app will manage the syncing for the users.

25. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

If you don't want to use iCloud, don't. They are not forcing you to do it. It's up to you. It would be closed environment if Apple forced you to use iCloud and not even allow Dropbox. If you're not a developer, and just an end-user, you can just use Dropbox. Which as you said, is better.

And do tell me how Android file sharing is better?