Connecting a MBP to a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DesignFusion, Sep 8, 2010.

1. DesignFusion macrumors member

Hey guys I have just got my new mac pro and got all set up. However I was wondering how I would use it in-conjuntion with a Macbook Pro ? How do I connect them will they work together?

I use the laptop for the same type of stuff so I will be transferring files that are in progress to and from them both ?

Thanks.

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

you can connect via fw and designate the MBP as a target drive

3. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

If you have a firewire cable, target disk mode is what you want. I love firewire just for this purpose alone. Alternatively, you can also transfer files and such via a patch cable and the migration assistant, but it is REALLY slow.

Edit: I think I misunderstood you. After reading through it again, it sounds like you want to work with both, not just migrate your data from one to the other. Assuming this is correct, I would recommend going with something like google docs, or mobileMe, which has the iDisk. I haven't used it myself, but it looks pretty slick. You could also set up an SSH and FTP server on one so you can access your data remotely, or something like that. I've also heard of a service where you can set up a folder on a cloud that syncs with a folder on your computer(s) so that you always have access to the latest versions of your data from all of your machines (in addition to a local backup), but I cannot think of the name right now. If I find it, I will post it :)

4. cnstoll macrumors 6502

The above posts seem to be assuming that you're only looking to transfer your data to a new computer initially for setup purposes.

If you're actually going to be using both in a "live" environment, I'd suggest getting a gigabit switch and just connecting both to that. A decent switch can be had for 30-40 dollars from netgear, linksys, belkin, etc. This is a good idea anyway, since having your switch connected directly to your wired router would give you a faster internet connection on both computers vs. using a wireless only network. I routinely get data transfer speeds between two computers over gigabit that are faster than with firewire 800.

5. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Found it! It's called Dropbox. It's free up to 2GB, and seems to have pretty good reviews.

6. nxent macrumors 6502

you mean have them both on the same network with a shared workspace?

7. cnstoll macrumors 6502

I should further clarify what I mean.

By having both computers connected to the network (any network) and enabling file sharing in the Sharing menu under System Preferences, you can basically mount your computer's home directory or hard drive on the another computer. That way you can work on content on either machine, and freely copy between them.

A gigabit switch isn't necessary for this to work, it just makes it work faster.

8. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Perhaps the OP should clarify...I assumed he wanted to be able to access his files on the go. OP, would you tell us more about your situation?

9. Vylen macrumors 65816

Put your machines on the network and use this for something completely seamless. And you'll only need to use, say, the keyboard and mouse on your Mac Pro.

10. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I'd use Chronosync to sync both ways via airport. Run CS at the end of a day and get it to update everything new and sync deletions. Just login to your Mac Pro account via airport to get your drive(s) online.

Chronosync is $40 but worth every penny. And you only pay *once* ever. All updates are free from then on.
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7230/chronosync

11. DesignFusion thread starter macrumors member

Hey sure, sorry if it was a little unclear. I basically just want to be able to easily use the two computers together. So I can kind of sync it with my mac pro when im home. Using a firewire cable seems like the kind of thing in thinking about. Just a quick easy way I can transfer files quick, I don't like to rely on cloud based solutions as I am sometimes unable to access the internet.

Say for example I use firewire is there a way i can connect the screen to the mac pro as well so I have the use of my main monitor and the macbook pro's too?. As before i was using a display with my laptop and now its weird only having one screen.

Hope that made sense if not I can try to clarify more. thanks

12. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

simple and fast: gigabit ethernet.
    Simply connect the computers together (any ethernet cable should do the job, take a short one if you have only cat5) and enable filesharing on the MBP. You don't even need a switch.

13. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Simple file transfers? I agree with using gigabit ethernet - get yourself a cat6 cable and your files transfer quick enough.

14. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

If cable length is not much more than 10 meters, cat6 is certainly not necessary. I never had any troubles (bad frames in network utility) using cat5/5e cables in similar setups.

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

My MBP is connected via ethernet. I just use the extra port. Makes file transfer and time machine backup quick.