Connecting an external HDD to new iPad Pro (2018)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Robertjan88, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Robertjan88 macrumors regular

Is it possible to connect an external HDD to the iPad Pro to import videos?

I don't use a personal laptop and want to import some of my recorded videos to my iPad Pro (2018 model).

If so, can I use any USB-C to USB3.0 adapter or will only the one Apple is selling work?

What about speeds (got around 60GB I would like to copy)?

Thanks!

2. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

Normal HDD can't be connected, only (maybe) with a hub,
    and still you will only be able to transfer files to a specific app that works with that hub, or app from a thumb drive.

Only images can be imported into the foto app, all other can be watched with the inbuilt app for that thumb drive, and most have trouble transferring at a decent speed, or playback of larger files.

You might consider a Wi-Fi external drive, but still you get terrible transfer speeds

3. Robertjan88 thread starter macrumors regular

Pff that's a shame, hence in the end I will still need a laptop.... :-(

4. sparksd macrumors 68020

Agree. I use a FileHub and copy speeds from an attached HDD to my iPP are about 4MB/sec. It works great for streaming video from the HDD but copying is painful.

5. AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

AutomaticApple

I’m afraid not.

6. profets macrumors 601

I know you can connect an external disk or thumb drive and the only current supported method of importing is into the Photos app. Likely possible to import video as well in this manner? Maybe dependent on file type?

I suspect we’ll see this come by iOS 13 (connecting an external disk and being able to browse / copy files in Files app).

7. sparksd macrumors 68020

There are Lightning-based uSD readers that work. I reviewed one here -

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/review-smartq-c620-mfi-lightning-microsd-card-reader.2100810/

I prefer the one from iKlips as it has power pass-through -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5BQTZ3

I got it for $45.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that iOS 13 functionality. I personally doubt that Apple will provide iOS-based hard drvie support.

8. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

You can get flash drives that will work. I’d suggest investing in an NAS to accomplish said tasks. Your own personal cloud, better set up for the future anyway.

9. sparksd macrumors 68020

I also use a NAS with Western Digital MyCloud but need the drives for when faster access is necessary/desired or, as more often the case, Internet access is poor or totally unavailable. I don't count on cloud access.

10. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

That’s a bummer. Only on a plane do I not have fast access. I guess an iOS flash drive is the best solution then.

11. sparksd macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's surprising how often I run into that problem.

I just noticed that the OP said 2108 iPad; the readers I referenced are Lightning-based, not USB-C.

12. JD2015 macrumors 6502a

I use a sandisk connect usb thumb drive. Just purchased it as wanted something to be able to carry around documents on it in case I need to put them on someone else’s pc. Allow for WiFi transfer using the associated free IOS app. Haven’t tried to plug it into the IPad directly as transfer speeds are quick enough for me. Not sure how it performs though with transferring photos on and off. As for video you can use it also though not sure if there are any buffering issues. Plus, of course you cannot transfer movies to and from iTunes on an iPad which is annoying when you have paid for them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZCFYFAO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_wDUaCbEY6AY5J

In the long run though I will most likely use a NAS but is quite expensive from what I have researched.