Resolved Connecting G5 to Net

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Huntn, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Huntn, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm trying to set up an office with a PPC G5 tower without a cable outlet in the office. I've always had this thing hooked via ethernet cable directly to the router in the same room. Besides poking a hole in the ceiling and running a cable across the attic and down into my office, any good ideas on the best easiest way to get this computer connected to the net? Thanks.

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

Wireless dongle ;)

I use a rosewill one from newegg with my G5

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the info! I'm zeroing in now... :)

4. -Ken- macrumors regular

Not sure what we ever did before those wireless dongles. :D

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

OP already described it. Poking holes through walls and running lots and lots of cables.

If you have a wireless network/router. You can get an airport extreme card and the external antenna for the G5. Also check system profiler to see if you might already have one installed.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I've got a Rosewill TridentX series RNX-N2X hooked up and it appears to work, but something is going on with my G5/10.5. Whenever I pull up System Preferences, instead of getting the usual display, I'm getting a blank white window. The Rosewill installer said that I would have to configure this device in System Prefs before my computer (G5) would be able to connect. That is tough when I'm looking at a blank Sys Prefs window. I have posted another thread here. Anyone have a clue? Is there somekind of standard repair I could run in MacOSX? I'll probably go to Apple Discussions and look around for the issue.
    -Dave

7. Wildy macrumors 6502

I've got something called a HomePlug - it's a standalone ethernet device that plugs into mains, one at either end of the link, crating a direct connection between your computer and the router - they work brilliantly!

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the help guys! I am continuing this discussion in a more focused thread.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Ok, now I'm back. The Rosewill TridentX RNX-N2X Wireless Adapter I purchased for use on my G5 did not get me on the internet. I've got a different thread to talk about that, but now I'm back looking at plan B to get my G5 online. I'll go back and review some of the responses.

10. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

11. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

You could also get and old airport card that will hook up thru the pci slot I believe

12. Huntn, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks. I'll look into this. Although it did not work, the Rosewill Internet Adapter, it was only $26. Big deal it did not work. I do want to keep my expenses down. :) It's been a long time since I've routed around in my G5. I'll check out what open slots it has.

Did you have any trouble configuring it? In my case, while everything looks good, the Rosewill Utility says I am connected to my network. In Network Prefs, the USB Ethernet says I'm connected, but it also says I have a self generated IP and I am not online. Do you remember what you did to connect?
    Thanks!

I did figure out the blank screen for System Prefs. It had to do with having a single monitor plugged into the wrong video card on the back of my G5.

13. iLucas macrumors 6502

I ordered this one. I plugged in the dongle then and downloaded the .dmg file from the rosewill site. After that it was a breeze, it recognized the wifi at my house and you click add profile and i've never had a problem with it. ;)

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

That's what I did, although I did not download an update. Maybe I should try that before sending it back. Mostly I did not download an updated because I could not get it online. But I have a separate laptop to grab the latest update.

The one I bought saw the network, I created a profile, it said I was connected to the airport. In my Network preferences it showed I was connected, a green lgt by the USB Ethernet icon, but it also said I had a self generated IP address and it could not connect. What really frustrated me was how non-committal and unhelpful the Rosewill tech support was.

15. Huntn, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

Huntn

Update: I got my Rosewill Trident X RNX-N2X wireless adapter working on my G5. Read about it here.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Update2: I'm about to strangle my 2nd wireless adapter. I had high difficulty getting the Rosewill USB wireless adapter connected to the net. It showed that it was connected to my home network, but most of the time it produced a self-generated IP and would not connect. I was connected for about 2 hours, before it went back to a self generated IP. I called up tech support and the "we don't support macs guys although it says mac compatible on the box" could not get me connected.

So I returned this item and tried with a second USB wireless adapter, a Alfa Network device, who does not even have a tech support number posted at all. Yes, call me stupid. What was disheartening was that when I installed the software for the new device it was the exact same interface that the Rosewill software used just with a different name slapped on it. And it does the same thing- self generated IP address, although it thinks it is connected to my home network.

Somehow I'm thinking this is a configuration issue, and I've gone through several tabs on the associated driver software but can't come up with something that works. In the Network Prefs it shows a USB connection that shows green (active) but despite renewing the DCHP license multiple times it always comes up with a self generated IP address. I'm using a Netgear 300 router which uses WPA2 and 802.11n/g. This wireless adapter is listed as 802.11 b/g/n compatible. I'm probably going to end up sending this back and after all this, don't know if I want to mess with a $70 airport card. Maybe I'll just get some ethernet cable and run it through the attic and punch and come down inside the wall, which is something I really did not want to do.

At this point, any helpful suggestions anyone can offer? Thanks.

17. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

How come you haven't gone the Airport Extreme card route? It's probably cheaper than the USB ones you purchased and it will work without downloading additional drivers. Check eBay for cheap prices ~ $25.

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm just trying to minimize expense with a computer that is 7 years old and could croak any time. If there was an antenna included with the G5, I can't find it. So to purchase both card and antenna is about $50. That is going to be my next move.
    -Dave

19. Huntn, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

Huntn

The Saga Continues...

For my PowerMac G5 Tower, I bought an airport extreme card and an airport antenna and I'm still not connected. Where is my river of tears icon?? ;) Under Network Prefs, it shows that my Airport is on. It sees my network. I know I have the right password, but when I try to connect it says "connection failed".

My MacPro G5 System Profiler it says:
    Wireless Card Type: Airport Extreme (0x14E4, ox4E)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)
    Current Wireless Network: Airport is currently turned off

The only thing that seems strange is that under Network Prefs the Airport is labeled as On. However on the System Profiler it is shown as off? I assume in NetPrefs it has a yellow button because it is not connected to the network. The distance to my wireless router is about 30 feet on the same floor in a different room. Keep in mind I have two other newer intel Macs in the house connecting to this network successfully every day.

My home network is a Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router using WPA2. Could this be the issue? I wonder if I need to change the encryption type on the router to WPA or WEP? However This Airport Extreme Tech Specs article says it is WPA/WPA2 compatibe... Ideas?

Thanks! :)

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

After ignoring my G5 for 2 weeks, I cranked it up today with the intent of changing my router's security in an effort to get connected and surprisingly, the airport I installed on my G5 decided to connect with no figeting or hoop jumping! I'm back in business. :) Fingers crossed it continues to behave.

21. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Good to hear you got the airport card working.

Is your computer a dual/quad core (late 2005) or an earlier model with the physical antenna that sticks out of the back?

Did you originally hook up the antenna cables to the airport card itself?

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thank you. My computer is a dual core G5 with a T shaped antenna sticking out the back, I had to purchase separately (on ebay). There is an antenna wire by the airport card bracket that I hooked up when I first installed the card and have not messed with it since. Maybe it was feeling neglected and decided to behave? ;)