Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porsche930

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
hi all

Long time lurker seeking some advice. I picked up a new base model iMac Pro for $3999 from micro center - what a bargain!

Anyway, want to connect my MBP 2017 and use it as a secondary display but doesn't seem to work via usb-c for some reason?

Apple doesn't offer much helpful advice.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208366

appreciate any help

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Target display mode hasn’t been a feature on recent macs for the last few years. So unfortunately you won’t be able to plug one Mac directly into another one and use is as a screen anymore.

porsche930

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2018
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it. I'll look into air display, according to the FAQ it may work but will do some more research and let you know how I go.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
I have this, and it can be used to send the source computer display to an iPad/iPhone. Not to another Mac. Unless you know something I do not?
From their site: "Wirelessly connect to an iPad or Android device from your laptop to create the ultimate road-warrior workstation. Or repurpose any nearby Mac or Windows PC to give yourself more screen real estate for your main Mac."

So you should be able to do what you want with AirDisplay.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Reactions: Glmnet1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.