Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
yeah true true i been threw that phase as you can tell on myspace those vocals came out just right specialy in the song "get hyphy" . But hopefully this iMic will work.

so acctauly whats the diffrence when i try to plug in the mic straight to the comp and using the iMic, wouldnt i have the same problem at the end anyways?

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Unless you let us know what "plenty new better ones" you plan on using, we can't tell you how they work with the iMic.

And please, Try using some proper capitalization and use spell check. Between the lack or read-ability of your posts and the lack of information/confusion on your part it is a bit hard to really give any decent advice.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
so acctauly whats the diffrence when i try to plug in the mic straight to the comp and using the iMic, wouldnt i have the same problem at the end anyways?

the imic is going to convert the signal into digital and then feed it to the computer through USB

you wont be using your built in sound card...

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
OK. Well I have plenty new microphones, but I am not willing to use them. I got this Radio Shack microphone just for fun and for experiments. I have for example 3 NEUMANN TLM 170 R, and many more, but I am not planning to use those to record to my computer. I use those type of mics in the studio.

Ohh, ok. Makes sense.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
OK. Well I have plenty new microphones, but I am not willing to use them. I got this Radio Shack microphone just for fun and for experiments. I have for example 3 NEUMANN TLM 170 R, and many more, but I am not planning to use those to record to my computer. I use those type of mics in the studio.

k, those mics will not work with this imic ....

mrock

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
If you're used to the quality from $2000 microphones then this I fear microphone will sound absolutely dire.

If you're hoping to record anything of usable quality (making music?) then you'll need to have a proper microphone with a decent preamp.

Google for Focusrite, EMU etc etc

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Yeah im sure it will not compete with my other mics i know that. But I just want this mic to work on the computer, just for fun like i said before and experiment. You think i would need a preamp for this mic aswell. What would be the diffrence with the preamp and this radio shack mic.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Yeah im sure it will not compete with my other mics i know that. But I just want this mic to work on the computer, just for fun like i said before and experiment. You think i would need a preamp for this mic aswell. What would be the diffrence with the preamp and this radio shack mic.
First, thanks for the punctuation/capitalization as it makes your posts much more readable.

The Radio Shack mic will be a bare min mic. Imagine a Shure 57 or 58, cut the quality down quite a bit and that may give you a aural idea of how the Radio Shack mic will sound. For experimenting it should be ok for vocals, but I don't feel that instruments will fare well.

Now, if money is not an issue and you want something better than the Radio Shack mic/iMic setup, you would be much better pressed to buy a decent audio interface (Maudio, Presonus, Edirol etc.) and a decent mic (Shure 58 for example), and that should be doable for around $250?

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Your welcome. But yes that is not a problem. For now I ordered the iMic and I will wait until it gets here. I will post more when i receive it and see if it works. Any more tips go ahead post them.

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
okeyy

okay well
i got the iMic
and now how do i connect it i put the mic connector in the in put and my head phones on the out put and then connected the usb in the computer
now waht i still dont hear nothing

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
everything is done correctly. i set up the settings and all. but what i think is that i needdddddddddd a preamp like i said before. because these are little more like professional mics, and it cant just go threw iMic to the computer. So i need a preamp to convert it.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
everything is done correctly. i set up the settings and all. but what i think is that i needdddddddddd a preamp like i said before. because these are little more like professional mics, and it cant just go threw iMic to the computer. So i need a preamp to convert it.

Hmmm. As I understand it, the iMic IS a (albeit) simple preamp. Could of course be that your particular mic isn't supported, though on the Griffin page for iMic (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic) it says "iMic allows you to connect virtually any microphone or sound input device to your iBook, PowerBook, PowerMac or other Mac or PC systems with a USB port.."

There's a support link on the site, you might want to check it out just to be sure. But as others have said, it makes sense to have a good preamp if you're using professional-quality equipment around it.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
\but what i think is that i needdddddddddd a preamp like i said before. because these are little more like professional mics, and it cant just go threw iMic to the computer. So i need a preamp to convert it.
Ok, the iMic was a solution for the Radio Shack mic, not for the Neumann mics that you listed later in the thread. This has even been posted earlier by Drumjim85. To power the Neumann mics or other condenser mics you need a source of phantom power.

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
yes I know im using the radio shack mic with the iMic thing and it dosnt work. I went on there website support and it says u might needa preamp.

dabear16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
see look at this

I've plugged in my $150 mic and it doesn't work. (Mac and PC)

Not necessarily. The iMic was configured for Mic and Line Level devices, such as standard computer microphones and tape decks. Those devices (and there are many types) typically are high impedance products that connect via unbalanced cables. Many, if not most, professional or higher end microphones are low impedance products that connect via balanced cables. Those types of devices require preamplification to bring them up to Line Level. This can be accomplished by using the pre-amps of mixing consoles or by using an impedance matching transformer. If you don't have a mixer, the transformers are readily available at electronic supply houses and consumer outlets such as Radio Shack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.