Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
I'm at a big loss, I see a post and quote it and post.

I keep reading sometimes older posts, I then click a little later, quote and write a new response to it.

It shows up right under my other post if no one posted since that one.

I still do not understand how to combine both posts, the older one and now the newer one, I was warned for posting two posts one after the other and I don't understand how to properly do it.

I'm pretty frustrated by this and I'm a mod on another site ( not an Iphone site) We don't have such problems nor rules like this.:confused:

I may be posting but this warning has made me upset and I'm really thinking of just not posting here, this has made me rethink participation.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Use the Edit button (
edit.gif
) to copy the second post and paste into the first post, then use the report post (
report.gif
) button to request that the second post be deleted, as there is no way to delete your own posts.

That said, it is better to use multiquote if there are multiple posts you want to respond to:

From the FAQ:

To quote more than one previous post:

Click the multi-quote icon (it looks like a double quote mark) next to each post you would like to quote.
Click the Post Reply button at the top or bottom of the page.
Type your post in the Message box, which will contain all of the quoted posts.
Click the Preview Post button to check if your post came out as you want it.
Click the Submit Reply button.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Rather than add a new post, you can click to quote the post you want to respond to next, copy the post, then cancel that post. Now go to your existing post and click Edit and paste to add the post you quoted and type your response.

Nov 28, 2010
located
To quote several posts, use the
multiquote_off.gif
button (multi-quote).

To edit your posts, use the
edit.gif
button.

All these buttons are on the bottom right of the posts.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Click the report icon (
report.gif
) and ask a moderator to merge your post. To help his/her workload, you could copy your second post and then edit your first post and paste the second post into it and then ask a moderator to simply delete the second post.

Please use the multi-quote button (
multiquote_off.gif
) if you want to reply to more than one post.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
To help his/her workload, you could copy your second post and then edit your first post and paste the second post into it and then ask a moderator to simply delete the second post.

Actually, it takes the same amount of time/steps to do it either way, so it doesn't matter which method you choose.

Bottom line: report the post with a request to either merge or delete the second post (if you've already "merged" the posts.)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Actually, it takes the same amount of time/steps to do it either way, so it doesn't matter which method you choose.

Does it? I thought you first need to copy the second post and then edit the first one to include the second post and after that delete the second post, while the other way would only require you to delete the second post. Good if it's even simpler though :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The multi-quote is certainly more efficient if you want to quote several at one time. The method I posted was assuming that an existing post had already been made, so the multiquote wouldn't work for that.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Does it? I thought you first need to copy the second post and then edit the first one to include the second post and after that delete the second post, while the other way would only require you to delete the second post. Good if it's even simpler though :)

There's an actual Merge feature in vB :)

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

Nope. There is a Merge command to combine as many posts as needed.

The multi-quote is certainly more efficient if you want to quote several at one time. The method I posted was assuming that an existing post had already been made, so the multiquote wouldn't work for that.

I suggested that method for future use, not everyone knows it even exists.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I may be posting but this warning has made me upset and I'm really thinking of just not posting here, this has made me rethink participation.

I wouldn't let this deter you from posting
The "warning" was really a reminder of the Forum Rules regarding consecutive posts and does not affect your standing

Consecutive posting clutters threads and can lead to spamming for post counts
With a little planning (multiquote) and a little effort (edit), consecutive posting can be avoided

Typically it is not a problem, but when threads take off and users start making several consecutive posts it can become an issue

Howdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Use the Edit button (
edit.gif
) to copy the second post and paste into the first post, then use the report post (
report.gif
) button to request that the second post be deleted, as there is no way to delete your own posts.

That said, it is better to use multiquote if there are multiple posts you want to respond to:

From the FAQ:

So If I hit that icon in my right hand corner on a post it will not only contain the current post but the last post I did?

See its a little confusing to me let me try it here?

The "warning" was really a reminder of the Forum Rules regarding consecutive posts and does not affect your standing

With a little planning (multiquote) and a little effort (edit), consecutive posting can be avoided

Typically it is not a problem, but when threads take off and users start making several consecutive posts it can become an issue

So If I hit that icon in my right hand corner on a post it will not only contain the current post but the last post I did?

See its a little confusing to me let me try it here?

this work?

No it didn't work!!! WOW I hit multi quote on the one above and then the new one and quote??????

You see you get warned but its not so easy!!!

I was posting at different times not at the same time, so on Mac RUmors you have to wait till someone else posts or go through a whole ordeal to post again........... I'm not sure I can do it right and that deters me from wanting or caring to post.............

Why can't it be automatic like on ModMyI?

Last edited by a moderator:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
this work?

No it didn't work!!! WOW I hit multi quote on the one above and then the new one and quote??????

You see you get warned but its not so easy!!!

I was posting at different times not at the same time, so on Mac RUmors you have to wait till someone else posts or go through a whole ordeal to post again........... I'm not sure I can do it right and that deters me from wanting or caring to post.............

Why can't it be automatic like on ModMyI?

Hit multiquote on all the posts you want to quote - then hit reply at the bottom of the page, not quote.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Relax. I got a couple of warnings for consecutive posts myself.

Even Arn himself (supreme god of MacRumors) struggles with this too. I reported him once to the mods for making consecutive posts about something to do with something. Did his posts get merged? Did he get a warning? Hell no I don't think so.

:p

(note for humour impaired american mods - check the smiley above)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm at a big loss, I see a post and quote it and post.

I keep reading sometimes older posts, I then click a little later, quote and write a new response to it.

It shows up right under my other post if no one posted since that one.

I still do not understand how to combine both posts, the older one and now the newer one, I was warned for posting two posts one after the other and I don't understand how to properly do it.

I'm pretty frustrated by this and I'm a mod on another site ( not an Iphone site) We don't have such problems nor rules like this.:confused:

A lot of the times multipost doesn't work too which makes for bad times. I'm constantly getting warnings for not using multipost but many times I'll try and the post shows up blank instead of quoting what I am trying to quote. Speaking of warnings I just got another one : / (This one looks like a "final warning" kind of deal. If I disappear you all will know why :( )

EDIT: Also I know how to use multipost correctly I promise. It just doesn't work sometimes.

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
A lot of the times multipost doesn't work too which makes for bad times. I'm constantly getting warnings for not using multipost but many times I'll try and the post shows up blank instead of quoting what I am trying to quote. Speaking of warnings I just got another one : / (This one looks like a "final warning" kind of deal. If I disappear you all will know why :( )

EDIT: Also I know how to use multipost correctly I promise. It just doesn't work sometimes.

Try reseting your browser or trying another one. Multi-quote has always worked for me on Safari. Even then, you can still quote one reply, then open another tab and quote the other post(s) and copy&paste the quotes into the first reply.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

If this happens again, I suggest you send us a contact letting us know which browser/version you're using, with a screenshot of what the screen with the blanks looks like. That way we maybe can figure out what's not working for you. We're not out to get people who are trying to follow the rules. :)

The rule about consecutive posts is there simply to keep the threads "cleaner" and a bit easier to read/navigate. The multi-quote function isn't difficult to use, so there's really no reason not to. Personally I really like being able to mark all the posts I want to respond to as I'm reading the discussion, before I finally hit "Reply".

And - if you accidentally create two consecutive posts, just report one of them. We're happy to merge them for you.

I'd also like to remind everyone that - as it states in the rules - questions or comments about specific cases of moderation should be dealt with via the contact form, not in a thread out in the forums. General questions are fine in here. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
(This one looks like a "final warning" kind of deal. If I disappear you all will know why :( )

Crazy, if true. Outright forum bans for consecutive posting? Find that hard to believe... in fact, don't want to believe it of this place.

But if so and there are no other extenuating reasons, then that's an absurdly over-zealous call. Go and practice getting it right, using multi-quote, somewhere where post counts don't count towards totals, like Console Games or PRSI... or get involved in the Werewolf games (WW) in Community, because those threads get wastelanded, anyway.

Some people habitually post consecutively in news threads and don't seem to care, despite being asked to try not to do it. That's a different matter than some screwing things up out of unfamiliarity with the way things work.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thanks guys. I'll make sure to take screen shots next time it happens. (It happens fairly often so it should be soon).

I know how to use multiquote correctly and I love when it works but sometimes the quotes just come up blank so I respond individually (sometimes I remember to write under the second quote that multiquote isn't working but most of the time I forget to : / )

FWIW I am using Safari 5.0.4 on the Mac Pro in my signature.

Sep 17, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

MacDawg said:

It's a bit hostile to give a warning for not following a rule I've not seen on any other forum. Consecutive post spammers can be a problem but most mods can tell the difference and deal accordingly. The anal approach on MR instead paints a picture of power-trippy mods.

Am surprised to have been warned. Bespoke and unique rules that are hidden away = bad user experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.