Considering a 15" MBP, but... (MBP vs Thinkpad)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Coswyn, May 3, 2010.

1. Coswyn macrumors member

Coswyn

I'm a web designer/developer and do all of my work from a desktop, but I have decided in the last month that I need a relatively portable notebook (12"-15") to increase my productivity. I've spent the last month or so researching multiple models from a number of popular makers (chief among them being Apple and Lenovo). All of my work is done in a PC (Windows) environment, but I've been seriously considering making the switch to Mac OS because of its simplified and elegant aesthetics (Windows, while I'm well accustomed to working with it, falls short of Mac OS on usability).

Here are my options:

Lenovo Thinkpad X201s:
    2.13GHz Intel Core i7 640LM; Windows 7; 8GB RAM; 160GB SSD; 12.1" 1440x900 LED-LCD w/ matte finish; Integrated Intel HD Graphics; external DVD drive

Apple MacBook Pro 15:
    2.66GHz Intel Core i7-620M; OS X (Windows 7 Optional); 8GB RAM; 160GB SSD; 15.4" 1680x1050 LED-LCD w/ antiglare finish; Nvidia GeForce GT 330M GPU; DVD SuperMultiDrive

I've been [over]contemplating the advantages and disadvantages of my options for some time now and would like to appeal to MacBook Pro (and ThinkPad, if there are any here) users for help on coming to a final decision...

----------

Pros:

Thinkpad X201s: My reasons for considering a [Lenovo] Thinkpad are as follows: (1) I've owned a few notebooks in the past and they have all been Thinkpads (before Lenovo bought IBM's PC division), so I know what I'm getting; (2) The construction quality of the Thinkpad line is far superior to all PC competitors, with their magnesium-alloy top and bottom covers, roll cage, sturdy metal screen hinges, and mil-spec standards (most of them have a rubberized finish, and the plastic is very strong compared to the recycled-wafer feel of most notebooks); and (3) the trackpoint mouse (the little red dot in the center of the keyboard) - my prior exposure to Thinkpads has allowed me to master the trackpoint, even to utilize it as precisely as a standard mouse. The specs available on this model match my needs as well. Also, I like that there is no DVD drive as I very rarely use discs on a mobile computer, so an external one will suffice.

MacBook Pro: My interest in a Thinkpad primarily stems from past experience, of which I have none with the Apple line. But there are a few advantages, as I see it, to a MacBook Pro: (1) The option to run Mac OS appeals to both my user side (the environment seems more simplified, better organized, and, as I mentioned before, more aesthetically pleasing) and my developer side (the ability to run the Adobe applications that I use, the option to run Windows alongside Mac OS, and the [purported] long battery life for when I'm unplugged); (2) its construction also appeals to me: relatively high-resolution antiglare LED-backlit screen; beautiful and durable aluminum uni-body case; thin and minimal design; and an exceptional glass touchpad for everyday use.

----------

Cons:

Thinkpad X201s:

Screen: 12" is a bit smaller than I would like - 13"-14" would be ideal. Also, the thick bezel is appalling - reminds me of something from the 90s, or one of the current Fisher Price-style netbooks (Lenovo could easily have reduced its size and added an inch to the screen without changing the size of the entire unit). Also, the resolution on the 12" (1440x900), while respectable (better than the 13" MBP) is a bit shy of what I desire for productivity (though it might be asking too much given the current standards for that screen size). In contrast, the MacBook Pro has a significantly higher-resolution (1680x1050) 15" LCD with a relatively thin and proportionate bezel.

Battery: This is a minor gripe, and one hardly worth considering, but I don't like that the higher-capacity (6-cell) battery adds a bit to the thickness of the notebook. It's not one of the batteries that protrudes from the rear by an inch or so (that would be the 9-cell), but the unit is thick enough for an ultra-portable as is. Also, I've read a number of reviews that say the battery is not exactly flush with the casing and wobbles around a bit - again, a minor gripe, but it makes me wonder why Lenovo didn't address it early on.

Graphics: The X201s doesn't have a dedicated GPU and relies on the integrated "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD" for its graphics acceleration, which is not ideal. I don't do much gaming, but it would be nice (though, I need to emphasize, not necessary) to have the option. But I do want to make sure that high-resolution videos are playing at decent frame rates, and that the graphics that I produce are rendering out well and quick. In contrast, the MBP has a dedicated 512MB 330M GPU that reports a 6746 3DMark06 score, compared to the X201s which scores 1486.

OS: Last minor gripe ... no OS X option:). I'm perfectly able to be productive with Windows 7, but OS X seems a cut above Windows for [at the least] daily use. As a designer I admire the consideration for usability that was put into it - it's as if they built it bit-by-bit from the ground up, analyzing every aspect and giving attention to every detail that went into it, to create a perfectly crafted operating environment. Windows, while having outdone itself with the latest version, seems like it was just designed in the quickest possible way at the expense of usability. I don't want to say that Windows was poorly done, but it falls short with its excessively flashiness.

MacBook Pro:

Size: This is the single biggest factor that draws me away from this model. As I mentioned before, 13"-14" is ideal, and if I had to go a touch above or below I would choose to go below, which is why the X201s wins out on size. However, there's a clear screen trade-off with size: the 15" MBP has a larger view at a higher resolution, which I could get a lot more work done on. But sitting with a larger notebook on my lap, or trying to fit it onto my cramped desk, isn't exactly appealing. On a side note, if the 13" had a better processor and a high-resolution antiglare option, I wouldn't need to write this:).

Heat: I've heard some stories about the i7 MBPs overheating under heavy workloads, or at least getting so hot that they are uncomfortable/unbearable to have on your lap. If I'm watching videos or listening to music while I'm working in Photoshop or Illustrator, the last thing I want to worry about is the system overheating and shutting down (and losing my work) or my legs burning.

Navigation: As I mentioned earlier, I consider myself a trackpoint extraordinaire;) - there's no manner of work I can't complete with it that can be done with an ordinary mouse. The touchpad, however, is nearly impossible for me to draw out pixel-perfect shapes with. For everything else it's adequate, but when I'm creating a layout with multiple shapes that need to be a specific height/width on the canvas, the only thing the touchpad serves to do is frustrate me at best, and give me ulcers at worst. I don't mind using a mouse if I'm on a surface that can easily accommodate it, but when I'm on my lap or a carpet, etc, then my options are limited. It's nice to have the on-board option that works as well as a mouse for me, so the MBP falls short here as well.

Flash: I'm not too familiar with the operational discrepancies of Flash on the Mac OS, but I've heard a lot lately about it crashing the browser, unreasonably tasking resources, and generally under-performing. Perhaps this is a misconception that I have based on misinformation, but given how prevalent and essential Flash is to everyday use on the net (videos especially), it's something I would like to have some answers on before I sign on to Mac OS.

Cost: The MBP, similarly configured, is nearly $1000 more than the X201s. This isn't a major drawback for me given the amount of use I expect to get out of it (hoping it will quickly pay for itself), but being that it's 1/3 more than the X201s pricetag it does weigh a bit on my budget. Emphasis here, though, is on use rather than cost - I would rather wait and buy something better when I can afford it than hastily purchase an item that I can't get the same use out of.

----------

Similarities:

To be fair, they aren't all that unlike one another. A few of the aspects they share: both are able to run Windows; they essentially contain the same processor (i7 640LM in the Thinkpad, i7-620M in the MBP); both support the 8GB RAM and SSD options I plan on upgrading to; both have antiglare/matte finish screen options; both have an n-protocol wifi option; and both have highly respectable construction standards.

----------

So there you have it, my thoughts and questions on both options. Now I reach out to the MacRumors community to help me decide which is best:).

If you can dispel any of my criticism (or confirm it) you are more than welcome to do so. Anything you can share that would help me to arrive at a final decision would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    What do you expect to hear from the MacRumors community?

3. a4209797 macrumors member

the killer for you will be the only graphics on the thinkpad is the intel integrated. i'm pretty sure photoshop requires (by recommendation by adobe) more power than the intel graphics can deliver. also the thinkpad wants to be more like a netbook (with a small screen and no dedicated graphics), not what a designer would want.

4. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

In my experience with many Thinkpad's their screens aren't as good as the MBP's.

You'll quickly grow to love the 15" screen size for your work but you may curse the extra size/weight.

I think you'll quickly adapt to the Mac trackpad and keyboard, I like both much more than my x301, T400 and T500's.

Go for the Mac, prepare to take month to settle in with it, there may be times where you love/hate it ...

I've been through a lot of notebooks, LOVE the size and weight of the ultraportables, x201/x301/Sony Z/Macbook Air but I keep coming back to my 15" MBP as my main machine. If for example I'm heading to Europe for a month then I travel with a 13" MBP that replaced my Air.

Hope that helps?

5. shadowness macrumors regular

Hi There!

I have also compared a lot of PC laptops with the new MBP 15" and it always comes down to performance vs battery life.

if regular laptops offer good performance, they lack in battery life and if i need more battery life i need to add another battery, which adds weight and bulk.

if battery life is a plus, they lack in performance or don't come with discreet graphics.

if i find something similar then the screens are not what i want or they are the regular run of the mill ones.

Finally i decided to add apple to my existing windows arsenal. It offers a good balance between performance and battery life with looks and build quality to boot in a sleek package!

i am aware of the problems some of the users seem to face and it is no worse than what the PC laptops throws at us.

and another advantage is that i can run windows 7 on bootcamp for all my regular windows and cad needs.

This will be my first ever mac and i am patiently waiting for 15" i7 HR AG model to come with my local reseller...

Alas! another 2 weeks to go!

6. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't get the X201 if you decide on the Thinkpad... look for a T410s instead. You get a ton of options - running SSD + HDD, Ultrabay battery for crazy long battery life, 14" screen, discrete graphics, etc. And for significantly less weight than a 15" MBP too.

7. unamused macrumors 6502

why not compare the t510?

i dont think its a fair comparison to put a MBP 15" next to a thinkpad X series.... different animals which is why they are specced differently. Its like comparing a Honda Accord to a Toyota Corolla.

you can spec out a t510 to almost exactly the same as the MBP hardware wise and supposedly the new LED backlit HD panels that lenovo uses are pretty sweet and could possibly give the antiglare MBP a run for its money.

Honestly im in a similar situation... im currently using a thinkpad t61 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the trackpoint... it is hands down the best input device for a laptop, heck, id consider buying a keyboard for my desktop if it had a trackpoint. In addition, i also love thinkpad keyboards... they just feel so good. I tried typing on a MBP and its going to take time getting use to, but its definitely not as nice of an experience as it is typing on a thinkpad. Beside that, the MBP costs about 600 more then a similarly, if not exactly specced thinkpad so its a hard choice.

Ive reached a point where i cant hate apple just because their products are overpriced... im willing to give apple a chance to see if it lives up to the hype... and in the end, i can still run windows if i just hate OSX, but from what ive seen and tried, ill probably be just fine with it. 600 dollars is a lot of money and im going to have to think real hard to justfiy it...

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The new T510 has an option for a 96% Color Gamut (more than likely IPS) display. This display would be a huge upgrade from the High Resolution 15" Apple Anti Glare display but is a $250 upgrade.

Yet the MacBook Pro unibody is just so much more robust than any Thinkpad and has zero flex, even if it cannot take a fall quite as well.

OP, good luck with your decision, but I agree you need to compare either the T510(with discrete graphics) or T410s(with discrete graphics) to the 15" MacBook Pro.

The 13" MacBook Pro is more comparable to the X201, X201s, and T410(with discrete graphics).

9. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I'm going from a T60 to a MBP15 - I think the X201 is too small for real work. I too would have gone for the MBP13 if it had a slightly higher res and a matte screen option.

I disagree with the above comment regarding the MBP being more robust. I have 5 colleagues with MBP15, some of which had T60s before - most regard the Thinkpads as more robust. Sure the MBP *feels* sturdy, but those Thinkpads take *way* more abuse.

I read (can't find the reference right now) that Apple considers lifting of the MBP with one hand as 'abuse'. As you know, the Thinkpads can be lifted completely horizontally by the edge of the screen.

I concur with the default Thinkpad screens being rather mediocre in terms of display quality - the MBP are definately better in this instance.

If was I was going Thinkpad again I would look at the T410s (the 'slim' model) - less than 4 pounds, 14.1" 1440x900 screen.

10. trondah macrumors 6502

I think you made some good pros and cons for each. Sounds like you kinda made up your mind though. Most people here would go for the Mac :)

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I have the i5, and it doesn't overheat, even not after playing SC2Beta for hours!

You are comparing the i7 LM series with the i7 M series, and the LM series are low power versions.
    The 2.13 GHz is not comparable to the 2.66 GHz, it's a damn nice CPU tho (and the 640LM and 620M costs the same), but it's usually meant for ultra portables.
    Also the LM versions has a much less powerful version of the Intel Graphics, running the graphics core at only 266Mhz compared to the M series that run it at 500Mhz

12. GoyoNeuff macrumors member

Passed through a bunch of laptop brands: Toshiba, Dell, HP, Sony, Fujitsu, IBM (Lenovo), Asus, and Apple. Unfortunately, I suffered from the ATI graphics card soldering issue with the Thinkpad, so I feel that all this "they are the best laptop, better quality, the best quality, etc" was all baloney to me. They are machines, and a % of them will fail. Got the G4 Apple 13" at the time, too hot I returned. Thinkpad keyboard and mouse are the among the best in the PC world. You could easily get use to the big trackpad in the new Macs. After a little bit of use, you will mastered and will forget about the red dot. Back to heat, they are machines, use energy and will produce heat. Is it uncomfortable to have it as a laptop sometimes? Maybe, but you could use a pillow and problem solve; there are not vents at the bottom case so you will not cut air circulation to the fans. OS X superior than windoes? Maybe all the way to Vista, but 7 is somehow a different beast. I would adventure to say that will come with personal preferences. Is it OS X great? I think it sure is, heck, it is Unix based, go figure !
    Cheers !
    (mmm, maybe did not answer your question: here it goes...get the macbook pro! ).;)

13. shadygrove macrumors regular

I am a web developer and programmer. I do all my work without adobe products. If I used windows there wouldn't any real alternatives out there. But on OS X I have loads of options utilizing the Cocoa environment to allow much higher levels of productivity than on a Windows machine. If I were to acquire any other laptop other than my new MBP, I would just put Ubuntu on it and be done with it. The OSX and complete mac experience is superior to all other competitors IMO.

I worked with and preferred thinkpads before 2005 when I switched to Macs and Linux machines. I can tell you nothing beats the multi-touch trackpad...nothing even comes close. Thinkpads are good durable machines and would be a great option if you want to use Linux.

But the best thing about a Mac is you get OSX, Unix, and Windows all in the same machine. When developing apps, you can test is all modern (and some older) browsers on all platforms. On a windows machine, you can't do this. I have seen instances of Firefox not rendering a page the on a Mac and PC and the only way to know was to test using each OS.

And regarding heat... I am listening to music and browsing the internet right now with my CPU (i7) running at 46 degrees C. The highest I have seen it was at work when I had a space heater running under the desk which made the computer get hot was 63 degrees C.

14. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I have owned Santa Rosa MBP, Unibody MBP, thinkpad x200, and thinkpad x301.

I still own my unibody and X301.

If you are using this computer as a main machine I would opt for the mac because of the power, screen real estate, and OS. The thinkpads are sooo great for on the go though, because of battery life and size. I really enjoy the build quality of my thinkpad and it has not failed me yet.

15. PAC88 macrumors 6502

Long story short, I waited and waitied and waited for the update.. I had my mind set on getting a macbook pro after the update.. but apple really kinda annoyed me this time because they limited my options and forced me to spend $2000 minimum on a 15" to get what I want (still no express card). I was really hoping for a 13" AG but that didn't happen.
    So I wasn't excited about it anymore, especially since I rely on internet for work and in my opinion thinkpads are better for that. And the fact that thinkpads come standard with matte screens, good keyboards, express card etc.. was another reason. There is a lot more than just the price that helped make my decision.
    The apple store staff also made me upset when they told me wrong information twice about what models were in stock. I was in the store after the update, impulsively ready to buy a 15" MBP but they didn't have them in stock after I was informed over the phone they had all of them.. very frustrating. I had enough at this point so I said F it

anyways. at first I ordered a t410s but then canceled that order and built a t410 last week and I'm waiting for it to arrive right now actually. I couldn't be happier with my decision because the t410 has everything on it that is important to me..

my T410 Specs:
    -Intel Core i3-330m
    -Win 7 Pro x64
    -14" wxga+/1440x900
    -4gb ddr3 memory
    -trackpoint/touchpad/fingerprint reader
    -camera/bluetooth/express card/esata/4usb/display port..
    -500gb 7200rpm hdd
    -9cell battery (about 10 hours of real battery life)/ I also have a 6 cell
    -Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300 (3x3 AGN), wireless performance is going to be awesome with this
    3 year warranty and I even threw in a matching Thinkpad Bluetooth Laser Mouse

This whole package with warranty, tax and everything was only $1122 with my student discount and this other sale they had going. It was such a good deal I couldn't resist.

The bottom line for me is.. I like Macbooks as much as everyone else here but they really missed the mark for me on the latest series. I'll wait a couple years to how the MBP line evolves and see if they offer what I want. But right now I'm more than happy with the Thinkpad..

16. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

I did not consider the T or W series because their casing is shabby - I've seen videos of people pushing in the palm rest like it's cloth. That's a far cry from the Thinkpads I once owned, and I'm left with only the X201s and X301 - or I may wait and hope that a spec upgrade for the X301 will come out. Apart from that, I consider the thinness of the MBP 15" to be a tradeoff for the thickness of the smaller X201s. I would rather get a small and thick notebook or a large and thin one, but I won't go with a large and thick one.

Glad to come across another trackpoint enthusiast in a Mac forum :). By the way, Lenovo does make an external keyboard with a trackpoint:

Lenovo ThinkPad Black USB Wired Ultimate Compact Keyboard with TrackPoint
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823218006

...makes me wish someone would just make a stationary trackpoint unit with bluetooth connectivity - I would be open to buying any notebook without one then. Seems we're in a similar dilemma, though. Good luck with your decision, and I hope some of the dialogue in this post helps you as well.

17. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

The 13" MBP would be comparable in my consideration if it had an antiglare option. Honestly, even without a processor upgrade, if the 13" had a 1440x900 antiglare option I would have bought it the day it came out, regardless of cost, wait time, the absence of a trackpoint, or any other issue. I'm most disappointed that Apple did not upgrade the screen.

18. Pavia macrumors regular

Don't make other people make the decision for you. It's your laptop. Not theirs.

19. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

I couldn't agree more about the 13" MBP. But can I ask why you're going with the 15" MBP rather than another Thinkpad? And, coming from a T60 (my last Thinkpad was a T43p, from IBM), what do you say of the lack of construction quality under Lenovo?

20. PAC88 macrumors 6502

Same here

Compared to most notebooks, the T series is still very well built, very durable and reliable.
    You're right though, in some respects they are not as solid as they once were but they're also not as expensive as the IBM's were so it's okay. Some parts of them are improved also, so it goes both ways. And even though the MBP is very rigid, it's a pretty delicate machine and not exactly made to withstand much abuse (I treat stuff pretty well though anyways)

I agree with your rationality about thickness, which is why I originally went with the t410s.. and I probably would have gone with the x201s for the 1440x900 but its currently not available anywhere on lenovo's site.. and the regular x201 res is too low

When you put it into perspective their isn't a huge difference though. The t410 is lighter and has a smaller footprint than the 15" mbp. and when the t410 has the lid open, it's the same thickness as the mbp with the lid closed..
    So it's only a .2" (which comes from the lid) difference which isn't much at all.. I value footprint more than a .2" difference in thickness. And when the price difference b/w the two is pushing $1000 .. I no longer see the value of shedding .2 inches

Also.. a couple things that made me cancel the t410s order was the fact that it uses the same screen as the t410, it's also the same footprint.. I didn't like the fact that the ports are located in the back.. It also uses a 1.8" hdd which in my opinion is not as good unless you're going to use ssd.

I figure by the time I'm ready to upgrade in about 2 years, every laptop is going to be super thin and and the premium for them will basically be gone. And hopefully by that time, apple will have a small 12-13" notebook with matte screen

21. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

Thanks for the info, shadygrove. My developer side agrees with you completely - I know developers who swear by their Macs, even kicking Adobe tools to the side. But my design side has to disagree. I need Photoshop and Illustrator (and Flash occasionally), and drawing out pixel-perfect graphics with a touchpad is a labor (it's difficult to get the cursor precisely where you want it with short finger movements on a conductive surface).

But I'm very glad to know that your MBP isn't overheating under that kind of activity. That definitely puts me a step in that direction.

22. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

I considered the X301 early on but I wasn't sure that the low-volt C2D could handle my workload. What are your thoughts on it relative to what I mentioned I plan on doing? How far have you pushed that notebook? And how would you compare its build quality to the X200?

23. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

No idea how the new Thinkpads are, but the T60 is very good IMO - I carry is open and one handed all the time.

Reasons for MBP over Thinkpad this time round - in no particular order:

1. The (engineering) office runs under Linux of various flavours and about 5/20 have MBPs - the other run computers with various flavours of Linux. Win7 doesn't integrate as well (hard to run X ssh, cygwin sucks), our archive and project systems are basically based on folder structures on Linux servers

2. I bought a MB for my mother - noone else in the family uses Mac, so then I can help her a bit

3. Apart from IBM/Lenovo, I don't particularly like any of the other manufacturers. I might consider a Dell / Sony top end system, but price-wise there isn't much difference between business laptops and MBP

4. Just to see what it's like

5. Laurens' quote: "Linux is free if your time is worthless" - yes it's become a lot better the past decade, but battery life, ease of setup and laptop compatibility still lag behind. Just because I can (and needed to) compile my own kernel and built totem player from source doesn't mean I want to. And in a business environment, gaining a few hours of productivity over the course of the year will easily pay for the cost of the MBP compared to a cheaper Linux portable.

6. The machine will be home & work computer.

What I dislike about the MBP15 (that my colleagues have):

1. it's only available in silver - I want the matte black, discrete Thinkpad look, rather than have everyone think Im a Mac poser when I sit at a cafe and work.

2. water + MBP = epic logic board fail. From what I read these are not 'business' laptops. My bosses MBP15 trackpad has failed, another colleague had bad memory, both in machines < 1 year old

3. Win7 actually has some really neat UI features (windows key + arrow keys, Windows task bar, able to resize windows from any edge, resizable fonts) that I wish OS X had.

4. PgUp /PgDn and delete keys missing (and home key?), despite ample space for them on the 15"

5. no eSata - would have been great for my photo collection.

6. no option for battery in lieu of DVD drive.

Oh, and for the record:
    13" MBP with 1440x900 AG matte screen please! (C2D is fine, integrated gfx is fine)

24. killer bear macrumors newbie

I bought the new MBP because I have to run some scientific programs which are only availble on Linux and MacOS (because it is easier to port from Linux), and there is no way in a short time for me to become an expert on Linux to configuate and do trouble shootings of the system to run these programs smoothly, so to save some time learning Linux I got the MBP.

I own a Thinkpad R51 and it is still working, my impression is they have solid build and very stable (I almost never shut it down for the first three years without any problems). I would recommend a Thinkpad if you don't need a Unix/Unix-like system for your work.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I love the Thinkpad, but I don't know what to say here; if you just do web development and you want to move to OS X, then get the Mac; otherwise the Thinkpad is an excellent machine. I have a X200t and I'm jealous of the resolution on the X201s.