Considering an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prof Farnsworth, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Prof Farnsworth macrumors member

Prof Farnsworth

So Am a current Note 4 user, used the Note2 prior, and am considering a few phones when my contract is up. I haven't used an iPhone Since the 3gs, but have a few questions. Would probably be looking at the 6s plus or some variant of the 7

How much of a learning Curve am I in for?

Can I still use One Drive to back up my photos/videos automatically when connected to wifi?

I use an app to hide photo's on my phone, Can I do this with on iPhone? ( Gallery Lock Pro ) or something similar? The app itself is hidden as well.

Can use multiple email accounts on iPhone? Assuming this is yes, but just want confirmation.

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I can't answer questions 2-3 but 1 & 4 I can. I just got back from a 3 1/2 month period using Android so I'm still used to it quite a bit.

1)Learning curve is not difficult at all. iOS is very easy to pick up and it is more similar to Android than it is different at this point.

4)Yep, you can use multiple email accounts. I'm not sure how many, but I use 3.

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Backup photos - I use dropbox but I assume you can use onedrive? Cannot confirm that.
    Hiding photos - dont know.
    Multiple emails - yes.

4. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I agree that the learning curve has definitely lessened over the years as each operating system has come into their own. OneDrive definitely does background backup of photos, I actually have it turned on right now. Given the way that the iOS architecture works, I'm not 100% sure if you can hide your photos or use an app to do so unless you jailbroke the phone. However, since Apple just gave us the option to lock down Notes with a password/Touch ID and the current security climate, I wouldn't be surprised if we would be getting the option to do so on all of the built-in apps.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

You will pick it up right away, the beauty of iOS is how simple and user friendly it is, anyone can pick one up and get used to fairly quickly.

You can have multiple email accounts in the stock apple mail app which is really good, but in addition there are several great email apps in the app store ie. outlook, spark, airmail

I think the hiding pictures part can only be done if you jailbreak your phone, but I seem to remember there being app in the app store which would let you store pictures and have them password protected. Although I dont remember if you had to take the picture with the app or if you could add pictures from other sources.

6. dennysanders macrumors 6502

dennysanders

you can hide photos in the iOS Photos app. They will be hidden when you're in years, collections or moments. But if you go to Albums, they should be visible. I think the idea is to hide photos you don't want others to be able to see when you hand them your phone and let them browse through. just don't open up on the albums tab and you should be good.

7. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Use OneDrive? Certainly!

8. geta macrumors 6502a

You can use 'Folder Lock' app, i dont know if you can hide the app itself, but you can lock your pictures and other things with password (no need to jailbreak your phone).

9. Stacked macrumors regular

There's an app I use called "Photo Vault" that keeps photos inside protected by a passcode. Not sure you can hide the app but there are other vault apps on the App Store that disguise themselves as harmless apps such as a coloring book for example.

10. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

11. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

I don't think anything touches the Apple A9 for speed per core yet. Maybe the new Exynos and the SD820. Regardless that phone you linked to won't.

12. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

I had the Note 2, iPhone 5S, then back to Sammy S6 - but am now happily on 6S Plus.

Apps work same only better on iOS. I do have to kill/close apps (swipe up) almost regularly or an app won't load or load content. Wish it had another GB RAM.

AT&T cellular is very good.

There is always excellent Missing Manual for iOS 9 and iPhone (and books for OS X).

With OS X 10.12 due in fall along with iOS 10 and 7S - right now products are mature and stable but...

This also "nudged' me into iPad Mini 4 and have to say glad (love) the beautiful Retina MacBook 2015 (12") (likely due for refresh this spring/summer). The 3 products all work well seamlessly together - another way of saying glad I did not get the Surface Pro 4

The Note 5 would be what is current large Samsung phone? And the S7. Both good products. For me the S6 was small screen and had trouble with battery drain (seemed to charge well, no such issue with iPhone).

And then there is encryption issues. Oh... Touch ID and payment works 10x better! I wish more apps and even laptop offered Touch ID.

13. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

Processor speed is only one of a whole bunch of things that determine how fast your phone is. And not everyone shops for their phone purely on the basis of speed. There are many more important design aspects that just speed. And did you miss the part about the phone costing 1/5th as much as an iPhone with a bigger screen?

14. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Yeah but you mentioned about the processor being just as fast which doesn't even come close.

15. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

And you have proof of this? Have you used both phones?

16. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

You have to be delusional if you think the SD410 is even close to the A9.
    It slower than any top end phone in past 3 generations or more.

17. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

Well thank you for your excellent proof. Calling me names proves your point.

18. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

I don't have to since you are the one claiming it is just as fast. Go check out Geekbench scored. The SD410 doesn't break 500 in single core and the A9 is almost hitting 2,500. That's 5x faster. No contest there.

19. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

You are comparing four cores to one core.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am going to go against the gain here and say that the learning curve has gotten greater over the years rather than lessened. There are so many more features and settings we have access to now, the 3GS likely doesn't even compare to a 6s in very many ways anymore. THat isn't to say the OP will have a hard time, but these are no longer the same beast.

As far as one drive backup, yes it can be set to automatic. I use flickr, but there are a handful of options, onedrive being one of them. That link explains it must be on a personal account as well as how to set it up.

No hiding of pictures on a stock device. Apple has implemented password locks for notes (and maybe others), but not photos with 9.3. Unsure if more apps are to follow.

One can use virtually infinite emails with iphone. Keep ion mind gmail doesn't push (except with their own client app), but there are ways around that. There are also many clients to choose from, at this point.

21. I7guy macrumors G5

22. Sajal macrumors regular

How much of a learning Curve am I in for?
    Very Little compared to if you would have switched from iOS to Android and since you are already comfortable with iOS previously.

Can I still use One Drive to back up my photos/videos automatically when connected to wifi?
    Yes you definitely can. However you might try looking into icloud, its more closely knit with the OS(for example live photos are backed up too).

I use an app to hide photo's on my phone, Can I do this with on iPhone? ( Gallery Lock Pro ) or something similar? The app itself is hidden as well.
    Yes there are few apps which does this.. but the native photo app doesn't do a good job of hiding photos

Can use multiple email accounts on iPhone? Assuming this is yes, but just want confirmation.
    Definitely yes, I have found the native email app does a wonderful job of combining all accounts mails into a single view, I couldn't find the similar experience on Android.

Lastly, most of my friends who have switched from Android to iOS have never felt bad about the switch yet. Yes remember that there will be a few limitations, but gradually you will start praising the benefits you will get.

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I have an even better deal for you: with the price of an iPhone 6S+ you can buy 10 (count them 10 !) Moto E. They can make phone calls.

24. kaielement macrumors 65816

I use an app called Picture Safe. But there are tons of options even free ones. And yes got to hide those pics of me in that cute ballerina outfit lol

25. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You clearly missed the part where is was mentioned single core score for the sd410 is just under 500 and the single core score for the A9 is just under 2500. If you want to get into multi core scores then it's just under 1500(sd410) vs 4300(A9) between the two.

Not sure how you can claim the A9 is similar speed to a sd410.......