iPad mini Considering buying an iPad Mini...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by natd1993, Nov 17, 2012.

1. natd1993 macrumors regular

natd1993

I'm debating wether or not to purchase an iPad Mini. I've got a full size iPad 3 and an iPhone 5, which essentially fulfill all of my needs. What I want the mini for is reading iBooks, web surfing and social networks. I'd be getting the cheapest model, but the price is still the main issue for me. For example, I could get a kindle for less than £100/$150 for reading, but I really like the integration within Apple products, and the great build quality. I'm wondering wether there's anyone out there with a similar set up to me, and wether the iPad Mini is worth it. I know about the low res screen, does this impact things such as iBook reading and web surfing?

Thanks.

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Do yourself a favor and visit a store that has the mini on display so you can make your own decision. It's your money, so be totally informed about the prospective purchase.

There have been comments here about how horrid the mini screen resolution is, and comments about how great it is.

It's too subjective a topic for anything but your own eyes and your own good judgment.

3. Awakener macrumors 6502

Really tried to love the mini, even just as an ereader. Text is fuzzy and jagged. Stick with your iPad 3.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have the ipad 4 and also have the mini as well. While the text might not be as crisp as the retina, it still quite good. The light form factor is very nice to hold in your hands which I think attracts a lot of buyers.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I tried to keep the iPad 3. It was too heavy and hot to handle. Loving the mini, especially on long reading or gaming sessions. :rolleyes:

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

^^^ This !

I saw one at Best Buy and I thought it was alright. I much prefer the full size iPad. The screen definitely wasn't as bad as some have said. It looked good enough to me. If you want a smaller iPad it's a good choice. I'll wait for the ipad 5. :)

7. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

Definitely go to a store and check it out for yourself, for me the screen is fine for reading - for others it makes their eyes fall out. I very nearly passed on the mini because of all the negative reviews on here regarding screen quality, I went and checked it out in store and found it was perfectly acceptable and much better than I was expecting.
    In portrait the txt is a little to small, when browsing the web, which can be sorted by increasing the font size (bookmark method or different browser) I browse in landscape mode mainly as the fonts are fine for me. Using iBooks, the default font size is perfect for my reading needs - 3 hours plus per day.

I went from a ipad 3 to the mini and do not regret it whatsoever, but go see instore for yourself before making any decisions :)

8. roccobladr macrumors 6502

If its for purely reading books...why not get an e-ink kindle? not sure if you can export iBooks to work on there, but kindle is cheaper and better than mini for reading IMO

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

im selling my 3 now that i have my mini. i love it. the screen will take some getting used to if your coming from retina but its still useable.

10. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

HD Screen

The mini has an HD screen. I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone. I grabbed a mini at release and I haven't looked back. Great little device, that is great for long usage periods. I have not once got tired of holding this think. I use it for iBooks and kindle app.

You will not be mad at this device.

11. arom macrumors 6502

I'd have to agree that you can't compare the mini to a retina display ipad. When viewing small text on the mini it will not rez as well as a retina ipad. Small text does look "muddy" on the mini.

12. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I am in a similar situation as you. My iPad 3 is pretty new and having checked out the mini, I would prefer that. But for me, trying to sell the iPad 3 is just not worth the hassle or losing the money as I would not get nearly what I paid for it and it's practically brand new. I mainly read on it and while I didn't think the text in iBooks was as bad on the mini as many say it is, by the time I upgrade, the display on the mini will be better and I'll get one then. I've also shied away from other tablets because of the iCloud integration. So while the mini is definitely more suited to my uses, I am quite happy hanging on to my iPad 3 for a few years.

13. falconeight Guest

falconeight

The only people that prefer the regular ipad are spec junkies and trying to justify ownership. I understand that some use them for professional devices but a Mac or laptop is a better option. If you are reading a book or browsing the web then the mini is the better option. It's lighter, fits in the hands better, cheaper, better made, speakers destroy the ipad, the camera is nice, videos look great, and on top of all that text is readable.

14. eBolt macrumors newbie

It's worth giving it a try. I don't plan on selling the mini until the retina version is available as the form factor is growing on me, plus the main intent was to leave it in my car for work. Fonts are somewhat small and fuzzy at first, however, once you zoom-in or double-tap an article to bring it to the foreground they look fine at ~16" viewing distance. All my other devices including the Macbook are retina as well.

15. Awakener macrumors 6502

Hyperbole. The mini is sometimes slow loading webpages and doesn't format them properly. As you say "text is readable" but it isn't pretty. The speakers are not better just different. Carrying any device is inconvenient so not much difference since iPad is about the size and weight of a hardback book. The extra 50% larger screen is worth it.

16. falconeight Guest

falconeight

It's bigger and heavier. My macpro has a bigger screen but its less portable. The weight difference is huge from mini to regular ipad its 200% heavier. The text is fine it's enjoyable, no it's not retina but neither is book print. I haven't seen a problem with it formatting we pages that don't effect all tablets including the ipad.

17. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I've had zero issues with the mini loading web pages. The speaker is better, not just different. You can clearly hear different sounds coming from the speakers if you play certain music. Carrying a regular iPad isn't nearly as easy or convenient as carrying an iPad Mini. I think the reduced weight and thinness of the mini make it a worthy exchange for the heavier iPad with larger screen.

The good news is you get what works for you and I get what works for me. But you don't need to try to justify it one way or the other.

18. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

It's worth buying it to see if you like it or not. I just got mine and love the form factor like everyone else. I'm seeing if the screen resolution grows on me. If I didn't need to travel for work, the iPad 3 would have been perfect. However I need something more portable like this mini.

I took a look at the kindle fire hd. I was actually pretty impressed w it. If I wasn't so dead set on having all my devices sync w each other I think I would have given the k fire a chance.

I feel slightly ripped off by apple by purchasing the mini but lucky for them, I travel.

If only it was retina display! Will be selling this ASAP when retina mini comes out.

19. OTACORB, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I sold my iPad 3 and I don't feel ripped off at all buying the mini. In fact I don't even get that. While I would love it to have a retina display... I think the display is fine. I have been using it since Nov 2 when I got it. I don't really miss my iPad 3's retina display. The light weight and thinnest just make it so worth it.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The mini will suit your needs very nicely for everything but reading ebooks. Nothing beats the Kindle Paperwhite technology for reading.

I have always used the latest Kindles in addition to my iPads purely for that reason. The purpose built Kindle has no rival when it comes to the stellar reading experience. In addition you don't need to buy the fire model, their basic eReader is ideal.

21. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I also have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3. I was intrigued by the mini and went to the Apple Store and played around with it and just fell in love with it. I ended up getting the 64gb version and have not looked back. While I am still in the return policy for Target, where I did get mine, I may exchange it for the LTE version. I previously had an iPad 1 and currently have a 3. The retina display on the 3 is nice, but the mini display is still better than the iPad 1 or 2. I have no idea where these people are seeing fuzzy text because everything I am seeing is nice and crisp.

Like others said go see the iPad mini in person and then make your choice. At this point I see myself using the mini more than the iPad 3. In fact since getting the mini a few days ago, I haven't even turned on the iPad 3.

22. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I guess ripped off is an exaggeration. IMO I still think apple could have added in the retina and this thing would have been perfect. I don't want to get into another debate about that especially since no one can confirm the real reason apple didn't include retina.

The extended battery life is nice but for my use isn't needed. The iPad 3 battery life was sufficient and the retina display didn't give me a headache!

23. bagelmaker macrumors member

I love my ipad mini and would purchase another one without hesitation. However, I find that I'm not actually reading books on it. It's not that the books don't look good, it's just that I'm finding myself web browsing, watching videos, playing with apps etc.

When it comes time to actually read a book I find that I still prefer old fashioned books. I usually get them from the library, since I don't want to pay a ton of money for books. I never could get into the kindle either, same deal it just wasn't a desirable way to read and it seems so expensive to pay so much for books.

Blah, blah I realize I'm just sounding old and stuck in my ways (I'm only in my thirties!) My point was that the device is quite good as an ereader, but you might find you prefer it for other uses.

24. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I had an ipad 3, also have a Macbook Air, the form factor of the mini is amazing, it feels very, very good in the hand but I have old eyes, the difference in the quality of text is sadly a deal breaker for me. I've ordered an ipad 4.

25. Awakener macrumors 6502

The form factor of the Mini is fine, but don't exaggerate. iPad is not "200% heavier" than Mini. As for formatting webpages see threads about changing browsers and font size.