Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
VA
has anyone made a recent switch from an android device back to iPhone?

Reason is that I have a lot of apps in my ios ecosystem and would like to get that back. There were a couple things that caused me to switch to android(running applications in the background/monitor usage) but ios 7 has added some features that make up for that(web content filter).

I have a moto x right now and while it a great device, I feel like I could have a better camera and more apps to use since I do not want to repurchase apps. I also miss passbook. That and most of my friends and family has apple products/imessage, which works if I do not have cell service, but have wifi.

That and T-Mobile buying out my etf helps also.

I was thinking of getting the 32/64gb version of the 5S

nicastro78

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
I recently switched back to a 5s from a HTC One. Although the One was one of the best Android experience I have ever had, it still is not an iPhone. I think I'm am done changing devices and will remain an iPhone user. There are always compromises with Android.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I recently switched back to a 5s from a HTC One. Although the One was one of the best Android experience I have ever had, it still is not an iPhone. I think I'm am done changing devices and will remain an iPhone user. There are always compromises with Android.

Every platform has compromises. I use both, have been for years. Currently I prefer the greater functionality of Android, it fits my workflow perfectly.

For those times when I don't need a smartphone like rock climbing, hiking and running, my tiny iPhone is ideal.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
lot of apps in my ios ecosystem and would like to get that back.

which apps?

One was one of the best Android experience I have ever had, it still is not an iPhone.

how so? just curious.

There are always compromises with Android.

such as?

I'm just curious as we read a lot about comments like the above but it's rare that the details come out. Thanks.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I recently switched back to an iphone as my daily driver from the nexus 5/moto x. I am heavily invested in the apple ecosystem (ATV, Lockitron, Hue Lights, Airports).

There are a few things I miss about android, mainly being able to archive emails and dismiss notifications directly from the notification center. The biggest improvement outside the eco-system is the camera on the 5s. It is just so much better than my previous devices. Also, my entire family has iphones so imessage, factime, and photo stream are huge perks.

I was perfectly happy with my android phones, but it was ultimately the eco-system that brought me back. I use a lot of products that just work better when you have an iphone. Most people say "eco-system" and are not as heavily invested as I am.

I also did the t-mobile ETF buyout. My payments are about $10 cheaper a month than ATT (I had a great discount), but I have a brand new 5s.

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
VA
I recently switched back to an iphone as my daily driver from the nexus 5/moto x. I am heavily invested in the apple ecosystem (ATV, Lockitron, Hue Lights, Airports).

There are a few things I miss about android, mainly being able to archive emails and dismiss notifications directly from the notification center. The biggest improvement outside the eco-system is the camera on the 5s. It is just so much better than my previous devices. Also, my entire family has iphones so imessage, factime, and photo stream are huge perks.

I was perfectly happy with my android phones, but it was ultimately the eco-system that brought me back. I use a lot of products that just work better when you have an iphone. Most people say "eco-system" and are not as heavily invested as I am.

I also did the t-mobile ETF buyout. My payments are about $10 cheaper a month than ATT (I had a great discount), but I have a brand new 5s.

Right there with you. As far as apps go, just a lot of games and I prefer the itunes interface with music. Also have Navigon, which I spent 90 bucks on back in october 09.

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
I moved to a Windows Phone 8 device (Lumia 1020) for the bigger screen but with that being said I'll always be an Apple user at heart so if Apple do release a big screen smart phone aka iPhone 6 then I'd consider moving back to the iPhone otherwise things are pretty good with my phone at the moment.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I moved to a Windows Phone 8 device (Lumia 1020) for the bigger screen but with that being said I'll always be an Apple user at heart so if Apple do release a big screen smart phone aka iPhone 6 then I'd consider moving back to the iPhone otherwise things are pretty good with my phone at the moment.

I'm heading in that direction myself.

Tired of waiting for Apple to catch up with the offerings of the more consumer responsive manufacturers.

I'd loved my iPhone 4, it never let me down but my usage needs have evolved and I need a bigger screen.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I switched back to an iPhone after using a G2 and N5 for months. I loved them but I think I'm going to stay with Apple products from now on.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I prefer the itunes interface with music.

iTunes on the computer? I still use it with my Android. The only difference is I installed iSyncr on both my desktop and Android. Runs seamlessly to sync music, playlists, etc...

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Every platform has compromises. I use both, have been for years. Currently I prefer the greater functionality of Android, it fits my workflow perfectly.

I totally agree. I couldn't go to an iPhone as my daily driver, because there are way too many compromises. I rely on my phone for business use, and the iPhone just comes up way too short for me to use it in that way. For example, when I do my close out, I send in my digital documents. With an Android phone, I can send in my documents in one email. With an iPhone, I'd have to send separate emails with each attachment type. That would not be an acceptable practice in my field, which means I'd have to send my emails in via laptop. That's just one particular example of a pretty big compromise I'd have to make if I were to use an iPhone as my daily driver, and there are others. It's just not worth all the compromise to me.

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
I'm heading in that direction myself.

Tired of waiting for Apple to catch up with the offerings of the more consumer responsive manufacturers.

I'd loved my iPhone 4, it never let me down but my usage needs have evolved and I need a bigger screen.

The one thing I miss from iOS is the superior autocorrection - for example I'll write, "ill get there as soon as I can" and most of the time I find that autocorrect on iOS will detect the context and change ill to I'll where as with Windows Phone 8 it is more of a 'hit or miss' situation. I'll be waiting to see what Windows Phone 8.1 brings to the table because I'm also looking forward to gapless music playback because right now it is annoying to listen to a series of tracks that should blend one into the next only to end up having a 2-3 second delay between each track (Discohouse for example each track blends into the next so it sounds like a continuous stream of music even though they're separate tracks).

Assuming the rumours are true about the new iPhone it'll be interesting to see what role the sapphire technology will play - maybe they were holding off on bigger phones because a larger glass surface area makes a phone more vulnerable to a cracking thus they needed something harder in place? with that being said, now that I have iCloud (Mail, Contacts and Calendaring) all setup on my Nokia Lumia 1020 I'm pretty happy with how things are going. Apple is going to have to pull out something major to really drag me back because the 'same old, same old' won't cut the mustard any more.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

For those times when I don't need a smartphone like rock climbing, hiking and running, my tiny iPhone is ideal.

Well the moto X gives the best of both worlds. Same size as the iphone, bigger screen, and arguably the best version of android.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Been on Android exclusively for a year and a half now. Definitely missing my old iPhone 4S. Plan to switch back with a larger iPhone if/when it is announced.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've been on an S3 for 19 months. My main gripe with the iPhone is the small screen. If the rumored bigger iPhones are true I may go back. I don't feel strongly either way. S5 probably won't be available on Verizon until July anyways so I'll wait to see what Apple announces. The S3 with the recent 4.3 update is pretty darn good so I'm not in a big hurry to upgrade. It will be tough to lose the back button, notifications and notifications going back to iOS though. I really hate double tapping the home button on iOS.

BuryMeInSmoke

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
I too found the Moto x camera to be lacking. I've had a ton of androids in the past year. My daily driver for the past few months was a note 3. I just made the switch back to an iPhone 5s and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. Great camera and most apps perform a bit smoother.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I switched back to the iPhone primarily because my work uses Lotus Notes and it's really the only phone that is integrated properly.

All the ecosystem talk to utter nonsense.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I would go back to the iPhone for my primary device if and only if:

4.7 inch display

Better sharing between applications

Setting default apps

Hell, I would even take 2 out of the 3.

I prefer Googles ecosystem and can get that on either device. I also don't have a problem with the apps on either platform and all of the ones I use look and perform just fine.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I would go back to the iPhone for my primary device if and only if:

4.7 inch display

Better sharing between applications

Setting default apps

Hell, I would even take 2 out of the 3.

I prefer Googles ecosystem and can get that on either device. I also don't have a problem with the apps on either platform and all of the ones I use look and perform just fine.

I see these types of comments quite a bit from current Android users and I'm genuinely curious (not trolling or making any inferences that one platform is better than the other), if you can already do all of that with Android, why even consider an iPhone? Even if by some miracle Apple does make all three changes, it still won't be as open/flexible/customizable as Android, so why would one still consider the iPhone? Google's ecosystem will always work better on Google OS and if you see no differentiation in apps, what aspect of the iPhone carries more weight that these elements?

Again, truly curious about your perspective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.