Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I see these types of comments quite a bit from current Android users and I'm genuinely curious (not trolling or making any inferences that one platform is better than the other), if you can already do all of that with Android, why even consider an iPhone? Even if by some miracle Apple does make all three changes, it still won't be as open/flexible/customizable as Android, so why would one still consider the iPhone? Google's ecosystem will always work better on Google OS and if you see no differentiation in apps, what aspect of the iPhone carries more weight that these elements?

Again, truly curious about your perspective.

Apple makes some great hardware and I do enjoy some aspects of iOS. And it would be nice not to have to keep a second device for iMessage and FaceTime.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Apple makes some great hardware and I do enjoy some aspects of iOS. And it would be nice not to have to keep a second device for iMessage and FaceTime.

Understood--iMessage and FaceTime are two elements that ultimately drew me back as well. The vast majority of my friends and family seem to use iOS as well so those features carry much more weight for me than they might for someone else.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Understood--iMessage and FaceTime are two elements that ultimately drew me back as well. The vast majority of my friends and family seem to use iOS as well so those features carry much more weight for me than they might for someone else.
Those are two features that most of my social group and family use too. I also use Photostream to share photo's of my daughter between grandparents and other family members. I also use Google Drive but it not really the same thing as viewing and notifications don't work in the same way. The iPhone is just very popular amongst the people I know so its not something I can see me changing until trends change.

My cousin upgraded to a Note 3 a few months back after saying on Facebook he was bored with his iPhone 5. He bought a 5S the other day and is selling his Note because he missed iOS. I think its just one of those things you either hate or can't do without. I keep getting tempted to try Android again after previously owning an S3, but its the little things that remind me what I would be missing. :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I can't use an iPhone as my daily driver but I do value FaceTime and imessage. I still get to use them on my iPad mini so I'm happy.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I see these types of comments quite a bit from current Android users and I'm genuinely curious...if you can already do all of that with Android, why even consider an iPhone?

I left the iPhone because of the small screen. I have an S3 and an iPad 3 and the software differences between Android and iOS are much less of consideration for me. While I like Android it has its pros and cons just like iOS and I could honestly be happy using either. The S5 seems like an incremental upgrade from the S4 so I'm definitely going to wait and see what the iPhone 6 has to offer before deciding (plus my 2yr contract isn't up until July.) In short, a ~4.7 inch iPhone is what I wanted two years ago and if Apple releases one this year it could be enough to get me back on an Apple smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.