iPad Considering first iPad purchase; now or wait for air mk 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by p1rate chris, Dec 2, 2013.

1. p1rate chris macrumors newbie

I'm in a dilemma in buying my first iPad. As I want to locally store family photos and use it as a semi-laptop replacement, I am thinking of the 64 or the 128 (leaning towards 128..) wifi. However as this is a significant investment, and in light of the endless posts on screen and me memory issues, I am unsure whether to bite the bullet now or wait until this time next year (I hope by which time hardware/software bugs will have been squished). If I buy an iPad air now, I am unlikely to go through the hassle of selling it before the next refresh. All points of view would be greatly appreciated!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you want to wait a year for the next revision? That I think is the major reason to buy or not to buy at this point.

If you want to start enjoying the tablet now, then by all means, and I think getting it now is the way to go.

3. p1rate chris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your perspective. As I'm also planning to replace my ageing iPhone 4 next year with a 6, maybe it is better to buy now and spread out my purchases.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I splurged and bought a 32gb 3G iPad 1 at launch, it was a huge chunk of money for someone in the middle of a nasty divorce. I'm just now replacing it with an Air.

I have no regrets buying a gen 1 device, I have used it daily - and there was times in the dark period it was my only internet.

BUying it totally changed my computer usage - being able to be mobile with a tablet just rocks. I personally don't see how you could regret buying it now, and the phone next year.

Unless of course you turn out to hate the tablet experience as a whole!

But, the only thing you will gain by waiting is the loss of a years usage....

5. CreamyItalian macrumors newbie

The 6th gen iPad will probably be better than the fifth but then the 7th gen will be better than the 6th so you might never buy one if you keep waiting for the latest and greatest. Also, screen issues are nothing new to the air, look at posts from years past, people have been complaining about tints and unevenness with every generation. If you are in the market now then just go for it.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Not bad for a newbie!

What he said.

7. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

You should always wait. You'll save money and something better is always on the horizon.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Plus, with any new model the crowd on MacRumors will always find some fault over which to throw a few hissy-fits.

Apparently other folks seems unconcerned: Apple products were 22% of Target's sales on Black Friday

9. calvol macrumors 6502a

Wait, or you'll be sorry when the update to 2 GB ram comes in March. Nexus 10 coming out this week is going to force Apple's hand.

10. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Since the last Nexus 10 was such a raging success.

11. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Well, I've had an Android tablet for a couple of years, iPhones, Android phones, blah blah. The Air is my first iPad and I love it.

Screen issues? None. It's been great.
    Memory issues? I've had some memory-related crashes here and there, but none while in the middle of using an app.

I'm glad I waited for the Air, I personally see no reason to wait.

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

That's sarcasm right?

13. hologram macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for Touch ID and more ram. It's going to have to last me a long, long time, and I don't want to regret not getting what I want. I don't NEED it now, I'm not interested in trading it in next year, and I have the patience to wait.

YMMV. ;)

14. 007p macrumors 6502a

I hope it was sarcasm. I don't even know where to start lol....

Nexus 10 2 has been coming out 'this/next week' for months.

And then...force Apple's hand to release the same product in 4 months time with the only upgrade being 2gb RAM? Yeah ok....sounds brilliant.

I'd much rather just have a working ios 7.1 and then there isn't a need for the upgraded RAM (in 4 months time).

The only possible iPad coming out around March time will be an iPad pro, and even that is a stretch. If that does somehow materialize, its bound to have worse problems than the air is currently having.

15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Never going to happen.

16. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

cough iPad 4 cough

lightning port, ram upgrade, and a6x processor....

if i said it once, i've said it 1000 times. there is no way to predict what apple will do.

everyone who tries, fails...

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

What was the ram upgrade between ipad3 and ipad4? Both were 1GB as far as I remember. What am I missing?

Apple will do whatever they think is best for a Apple. I'd be surprised if they moved the iPad cycle again in the near future, there's a lot to be said for it being roughly in be in sync with the phone release cycle. Still, I wouldn't go so far as to say they what they will or won't do so. :D

18. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If you're unsure then wait. There's no point to buying something if you're not sure if it provides value.

19. rkuo macrumors 6502a

That was a one time thing to keep the specs of the iPad favorable compared to the lower cost iPad Mini, and also to consolidate on the lightning port.

----------

This revision is a major new upgrade in terms of form factor and CPU power. It's also the first time a new iPad has seen significant discounting due to great supply and or changing in the pricing model.

It's generally more interesting to purchase on the physical revisions and not the "S" models. In other words, yes ... you should upgrade now ... the stars are aligned in terms of pricing and upgrade cycles.

20. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

But if the 6th gen doubles the RAM of the 5th, then the longevity of the device would appear to be longer for the 6th, than the 5th. Don't believe me, ask iPad 1 owners about their devices if their RAM were doubled. Many seem to express the notion that THE limiting factor for their device is the RAM.

21. p1rate chris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your views and input. I may try and hang tough for a year. Let's see how strong my resolve is when I next pick up the air, it is a thing of beauty!

22. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

On this note, one hopes Apple will keep this form factor on both the mini and Air and just make the screens better and the RAM/CPU faster. Then the next two gens of this form factor will be amazing.

Had to return my Mini Retina. Color gamut thing was horrible.. I want a mini with a decent screen.. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

23. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

your right, for some reason in my head i was thinking the ram upgrade was with the 4 not the 3. i just checked and i was mistaken....

but it proves my point even more

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

With a "semi" laptop replacement have your considered a 11" MacBook Air? It's close in price, it's faster, and it runs about every application out there.

I know it works for some people, but for true photo media management, it's hard to beat a real computer.

That said, my iPad Air lets me show off pictures fine.

25. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I just retired an iPad 1 a few weeks ago when Target had their awesome but back. Sure, it was slower than my iPad 4, but still perfectly usable, especially to my kids. It surely didn't limit me when it first came out, even with such "small" amounts of RAM.

I also have a 2008 iMac with the ATI 2600 card, which also runs Macericks like a champ after doing the simple kext fix. Also have a it rocking a home made Fusion drive made by coupling an internal SSD with an external FW800 drive.

I like doing the impossible...