Considering Returning iPhone4, What Else is out there?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benji222, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

After getting the iPhone 4 I stopped looking at cellphones. now I have 1 week to decide to keep it or not...
    Just looking for some links to other smartphones out there that are actually well made, polished, and smooth. I was somethign with a good OS at least.

Im on a family plan through ATT, if I went to another network I imagine being charged a lot (right?).
    Any suggestions/links? Thank you!

2. thrust macrumors member

nothin as good imo, when to comes to surfing the net and app store or and fun.

only down is the phones side which if the call drops you just ring back :/

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

4. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

I love the iOS at this point(im also waiting for a jailbreak to make it better!).

I just want to see a comparable phone with a fast OS, all my friends Andriod phones run smoothly. They brag to me their phone is better, i dont care... and then just slow down over time.. it becomes hard to turn pages or unlock their phones... thats not anything I want.

Sadly i sold mine... Really sad I did at this point. I would feel dumb buying another.

5. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

Well based on the time i spent with a Droid X yesterday...i'd say you are in the best boat right now. I absolutely love my iP4 and wouldn't change it for anything. #justsayin

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I am heading back to RIM this weekend.

FWIW....I tried to replicate the signal degradation that they showed today on the Blackberry 9700 with two phone in my office (and doing so in a spot where it does occur with my iPhone 4). I could not get the same thing to happen to me that they did in their tests....no matter how much I covered up the phone.

I think the iPhone 4 is a great device overall. But I need my phone to be reliable and this is just not holding water as far as that goes.

7. Venator macrumors newbie

There is still the iphone 3G or 3GS sheesh.

It's not as if suddenly all the apps stopped working for them or something.

8. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

How was it, my friend on my WP team had one but was obviously very protective of it. It just seemed freaking huge, and with less screen reso than the iPhone I think

iMovie :p

9. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

10. Krayd2k macrumors member

Why don't u just go into a store and look for one.... U don't wanna make the same mistake twice

11. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

12. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

13. njd911 macrumors newbie

im returning my iphone 4 and getting the captivate. hopefully I don't get screwed by at&t's restocking fee.

14. VTMac macrumors 6502

Thought Steve said no restocking at ATT stores either. Within 30 days.

15. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Droid X? Incredible? Samsung Galaxy? BlackBerry?...

16. SonGoku v2.5 macrumors member

A jitterbug. The Jitterbug is by far the best phone on the market right now. Why you purchased the iPhone4 instead of the Jitterbug is beyond me, but since you are considering it, go the whole nine yards and return that piece of junk for a jitterbug.:D

17. xmtgx macrumors regular

Droid X, Droid 2 when it comes out and Maybe the Droid Incredible.
    Only phones that compete IMO

18. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If no iPhone, I'd probably go with a droid x or incredible..

19. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I would say you should look at the captivate that is coming out on sunday for AT&T

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'd look to either t-mobile or verizon for android based phones.

AT&T has a horrible track record of locking down the android phones in wacky and frustrating ways. For instance, its generally quite easy to install apps. QR codes, android market place, websites, even manually if you wish. With AT&T you can only install only programs found on the android marketplace which is a subset of what's actually out there.

Also in their first android phones, they replaced google with yahoo. Now I'm no google fanboy but why in the world would use replace the google search engine on a google OS for yahoo?

The samsung captivate and droid x are probably the best phones out there spec wise, with the nod to the captivate edging out the droid x a bit. The down side is that its on the AT&T network.

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The 3GS on iOS4 was a nice device. Watch for the Samsung Galaxy S on AT&T...

22. njd911 macrumors newbie

really? Can you please post a link to the source? I just called at&t to ask about the restocking fee and they told me that there is a 10% restocking fee for iphone returns. :mad:

23. Sledutah macrumors regular

I called and set up my iP4 return earlier today. I'm reactivating my 3gs today, I'm really glad I didn't sell/give it away. I was going to give it to my BIL, but after reading all the problems at launch I held onto it.
    I'm looking at the Captivate, it looks great on paper. Could be a different story when I hold or us it.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you stay on at&t I would recommend the Aria or Captivate. Both are Android based. The Aria uses HTC's Sense UI, however.

If you go to Verizon, I would recommend either the Droid X or Droid Incredible.

If you go to Sprint, I would recommend the EVO.

If you go to T-Mobile, I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy S. It is the same phone as the Captivate on at&t.

25. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Two Dixie Cups with a long string in between the cups :rolleyes:

My wife and son have a Droid Eris on VZ, my other son got the Moto Droid and the Eris are crap but the Moto Droid is really nice, however you have to go to the other side in order to get them, Which I prefer never to do again, but there are some compelling phones Android based coming out.

I would rather use my 3GS for 2 more years then switch:eek: