Considering selling mbp to go on a trip.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brendu, May 24, 2011.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

So I have been considering selling my mbp and using the money to go on a trip somewhere to do something I have never done.

I am getting married soon and will not need it anymore. I have an iPad, she has a MacBook, and I have a windows 7 pc.

I was thinking of selling it to go on a trip but haven't decided on where yet.

Any suggestions of where to go for under $1000?...

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Considering that you don't really know where you want to for sure yet, I wouldn't sell the computer just now. Plus, I'm not sure what you'll be able to do for less than 1000. if you mention your state/area ... you might find some advice where to go.

3. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I would just keep the mbp. $1000.00 won't get you far. If it does, it won't be the most enjoyable trip since you will be on a tight budget.

Flying isn't an option with that budget, so it really depends on where you live. If you really want to take a trip, then drive to the nearest tourist/vacation town and spend the weekend there.

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Huh? You can fly from San Diego to New York for $500 and you get to see a few stops in between. A less extreme itinerary and you can spend even less money on airfare and hopefully find cheap accommodations.

I'm not sure I would give up my MBP unless I knew I would replace it shortly thereafter, but I guess we all have different relationships with our Apple stuff.

Driving is isn't all that economical right now, but if you have time and a reliable car, you can just pick up and go...

Ever seen the Grand Canyon? The sunset over the Pacific at Torrey Pines? New York? Yellowstone? The Rockies? Kinda depends on where you are and what floats your boat.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A few years back my cousin and his friends go into the habit of going as far as you can on a set budget (usually quite low), seeing how far/where you can get and then once the budget was used up they'd buy a plane ticket home. They come home with brilliant stories.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a fun trip. And seeing that you have a PC and an iPad - yeah I think you should sell that MBP.

6. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks guys, I live in the Washington DC area. Seen alot of the southeastern coastal states but not too much else. I am going to Hawaii for my honeymoon this summer but would love to do something else. I was thinking of looking into sailing lessons, but that was just one thought.

As far as needing the computer. I don't. I do love it and its really nice now that it has a SSD and tons of RAM, but I don't need it, I have plenty of other computers, its just the nicest.

Still not set on anything but strongly considering it. Also anyone who thinks you cant go on a trip with $1000 is silly.

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Three years ago, I drove a thousand miles with 3 of my friends to go on a 5-day whitewater rafting trip. Total cost of the trip for me was about $1200 (including gas, though I realize it'd be a bit more now, a hotel for a night, food before the expedition, and a couple souvenirs), so a bit more than your MBP budget, but if you could add a little bit to that, you could do one of the greatest things I've ever done. Just an awesome trip.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went to disney world with a 1,000 in my pocket (not literally but in my budget). I spent in excess of 1,500. This does not include the car, resort or theme park tickets. Its amazing how quickly the cash disappears. We did not live extravagantly nor did we buy lots souvenirs or anything like that. Just about everywhere you turn you get dinged for cash.