Considering the iPhone SE but have some questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asoksevil, Aug 13, 2016.

1. asoksevil macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I currently have an iPhone 5 and I've been thinking on upgrading to the SE but have some questions:

1. How's the first generation of the Touch ID feel like? I know it isn't as fast as the 6s but is it still speedy? I don't have a passcode on my iPhone 5 because it's tedious and slow to type it every single I unlock it.

2. I'm pretty sure we are not expecting an updated iPhone SE for this September event... March/April 2017 or even September 2017?

3. Would the "2017 iPhone SE" a significant update in terms of hardware and design? Most sources cite the 2016 iPhone will be fairly consistent in design with the current iPhone 6s and all of them point 2017 as the major overhaul of the phone.

Thanks!

2. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

1) I have a 5S and I find it quite speedy, but now that I have a lot of junk on my phone I find it takes sometimes 10-20 seconds to unlock. Or maybe its just always been like that sometimes. Either way its still a little speedy but obviously the 6S is more responsive for Touch ID. Beats typing in your passcode every time though.

2) Probably March/April if they're going to release them on a yearly basis, though IMHO I think they'll release it every 1 and a half years/2 years so that people still buy the 7.

3) Unlikely to change design since that's why some people got it, but hardware yes probably so that it competes with the 7 and makes it a phone that people wanna get as a mid-range one (well its not exactly mid-range but not the highest spec one either so I'll say its mid-range). Basically depends on what comes with the 7, though I suspect the next SE would still have a headphone jack to keep in with design.

3. asoksevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the fast reply!

I too think the refresh rate will probably be something closer to one year and a half or two years as the March/April update is somehow rare. Can we expect a price reduction given the new iPhones 7? I don't think it will drop from $399 to $299 but $50 off sounds reasonable.

No mater what, I think it's wise to wait until the keynote to buy it given it's barely less than a month away.

4. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

If you have a pre-existing Verizon postpaid account you can get a iPhone SE from Target with $400 in gift cards. Trade in a acceptable phone (I believe your iPhone 5 would qualify) for guaranteed $200 and open a upgrade line for another $200. Use the gift card to purchase the phone (in my case Target gift cards are good as cash), pay off remaining and close line after a few days.
    I decided to get the iPhone SE with this deal because I'm overly disappointed with these iPhone 6SE leaks. I've never used a iPhone 5/5S for longer than a week so for me the design is fresh. I'm coming from a 6S which I gave my daughter.

5. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

Doubt there'll be a price drop since its still fairly new but you never know

6. Xangelkiller macrumors newbie

I have both the SE and the 6S+ and can share my experience:

1.) The Touch ID on the SE is pretty quick. The 6S+ is instant and the SE takes about a second. I actually prefer the SE because the 6S+ has been too fast and I sometimes miss my list of notifications. I also have less failures on the SE than the 6S+ (something that was definitely not the case when I used to have my 5S, so something has improved even though they are using older Touch ID hardware in the SE).

2.) You probably won't see an update to this phone for at least a year after its release. It has sold pretty well and Apple has been having trouble keeping them in stock around here, so who knows.

3.) If the SE gets updated in 2017, it will surely get an design update. I doubt Apple will use the 5S's design again. It will probably be more in line with the leaks earlier this year with a design closer to a "mini" 6/6S. Hardware-wise, it depends on when it's released. If it comes out one year after the SE from this year, it will have the hardware/M10 chip from the iPhone 7. If it comes out at the same time as the iPhone 2017, it may have better specs to better align with that release. Or it may not.

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Uh, what?

No, it's never been like that. Lol

It takes like half a second. Maybe a full second if it's being slow.

8. TouchedByAl macrumors member

TouchedByAl

Coming from the 6S I love my SE! I've never been the biggest fan of the 6/6S design personally. I've noticed that Touch ID is just a little slower then the new Touch ID but it's not slow. Like someone else pointed out earlier it's almost too fast on the 6S. As for a refresh I hope Apple eventually refreshes this but i hace a feeling this will be a one off release hence the "special edition" name. I want that to be wrong and I hope it becomes a part of their lineup that's refreshed if not every year every other year. I also hope they keep the current design to differentiate it from the rest of the lineup. Otherwise I'll be holding on to this phone for at least two years if not longer.

9. Mighuel macrumors member

1. It is speedy enough for you not to get frustrated.
    2. An updated SE this fall is extremely unlikely. I don't think we'll see one even next year. I think Apple will update SE occasionally, pretty much like they do with iPod Touch.
    3. I don't think there'll be 2017 SE. We might see another SE in a few years using current iPhone 6 design (or similar) as an alternative to whatever design Apple will use for upcoming iPhones like the 2017 "anniversary update" which is rumored to be all glass.

10. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

A small someone that recently went from a 5 to an SE, go for it. It is a marvelous upgrade in pretty much every way!

11. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Touch ID works well for me on the SE and I'm one of those unfortunate housewives with beat up fingerprints who had been having trouble with Touch ID until then 6S Plus and the SE came along.

12. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

It takes a long time for me. Sometimes I end up having to type in the password cause that would be faster than waiting for it to recognise it :confused:

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The touch ID on my 6+ is incredibly slow that I never use it. The second gen is much better.

I'd be surprised if we saw a new SE in March.

14. nordique, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016

nordique macrumors 6502a

My opinions are below...hopefully it helps

It is still fast enough, and will still help your user experience vs. passcode unlocking

Who knows. The SE might just be a "one off" device. It is new territory for Apple. Considering how well this model did, I would presume Apple would continue with a supplementary "entry level" / smaller form factor device. But it is tough to say at this point. Could be a one off; could see a successor (I would bet on this) but when a successor would come, is anybody's guess - could be ever year, or every 2 years, as key features are required (5s might still be the entry level phone if it had native Apple Pay), could launch in the Spring or Apple might re-launch it in the Fall with other flagships (Spring seems like a safer bet...but would it be every year? every 2 years? No one knows until Apple sets a pattern)

if its any consolation, the A9 is a very powerful mobile chip so it should be capable for some time... The SE having 2GB of RAM future proofs it even further. I really don't think the SE is going to be severely outdated anytime soon.

See above response to #2; no one knows if the SE will even see a successor yet, or when a successor would release. The current reports about their flagship line have more to do with suggestions that a) Apple is breaking their current 2 year cycle to a more iterative cycle, something other tech companies are also doing (such as Intel), and b) next year coincides with the 10th anniversary of the iPhone so Apple may be investing their R&D into something special. Who knows if this will apply to the iPhone SE....again, we don't even know if there will be a 2017 SE model.

My recommendation would be to get the SE now, while it is still a new product, and ride it out (lets see what happens)

If you have any reservations about the first gen touch ID, you can try it on a Demo unit and see how it is. I think it is perfectly fine.

15. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It doesn't take longer to scan your fingerprint than put your password in unless it's failing to read your print. There's no way it takes more than a second or two, let alone 15-20. If your phone is actually reading your print and still taking 20 seconds to unlock, something is wrong with your phone and you need to have it checked out.

The iPhone SE has the added benefit of the faster A9 chip, so even with the first gen Touch ID sensor, it's still faster to read a print than the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6.

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I find it hard to believe that your touchid is that slow.

Since it's the same touchid is in the SE and the 6, I think your problem lies elsewhere.

17. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

First gen TouchID is really bad. Very slow and inaccurate. I'm using the iPhone 6. Get the 6S if possible.

18. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

*If* the SE does get refreshed, the price of the SE v1 might drop till Apple sells them out. But the price of the current model will stay at $399.

Decide after the keynote...won't matter either way.

19. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

I upgraded from iPhone 6 to iPhone SE last week. I SWEAR the Touch ID is waay faster on the SE. I'm guessing the faster processor helps?

FWIW, I did a full restore - not set up as a new phone. 6 was just embarassingly unreliable (even after having re-added the fingers a couple of time and added duplicates dry finger/moist finger) whereas SE is flawless.

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I hate it. It's so slow! I don't use it because of how slow it is. It's much better in the 6S/6S+.

21. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Of course it is...the 6s/6s+ use touchid v2.

22. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

So much better!

23. evamoree macrumors member

evamoree

I've had a lot of problems with the phone recently but its (obviously) out of warranty and any repairs would cost half the price of a new phone (both repairs and a new phone I cannot afford). With that said I did a reset thing for all settings last week (to fix a camera issue) and I haven't had any of the slow Touch ID problem yet :/

24. jetlagged macrumors 6502

I came from an iPhone 5 (bought 2012) to iPhone SE (bought August 16, 2106)

this phone is so fast. Touch ID is super fast considering it is first generation, happens in a millisecond fro letting your thumb to launching your phone. the difference between first and 2nd is negligible. I have to say it's a little faster compared to the Touch ID on my iPad mini 4 which runs on A8 processor. That extra gig of ram is significant since I can store many snapchats and Instagram live stories when there is no internet connection. When I had the iPhone 5, snap chat would crash and restart causing me to lose all my snaps because of low ram. Now I don't have to worry about it.

this phone will last me 4 more years I hope just like my iPhone 5 before it totally died on me after 1 battery replacement and 2 lightning port replacement lol. I had to euthanize that fool coz it was getting too expensive to keep it alive but that fool killed itself before I could put it down

25. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I actually went from a 6s to an SE this week. I much prefer the smaller body. The one thing that kind of bug me with the 6s touchid was that it was so fast that made it impossible to just check for notification without unlocking it. The SE being a bit slower I no longer have that problem. I had a 6 before the 6s. It seems to me the SE works better than the 6 did.