Considering the upgrade to 3.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apbwolf, Sep 24, 2009.

1. apbwolf macrumors newbie

I purchased a 16g 3gs about 2 weeks ago (I installed about 15 apps, it s not jailbroken). I am thinking about upgrading to 3.1. But I'm looking for some advice...

Is there an advantage to making the upgrade (any new features or improvements)?

Are the problems a prevalent as they seem to be when reading these forums?

Will Apple release a new version in the next few months?

Thanks for your help.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple is always releasing new software for the iPhone. So, yes, it's very plausible you see a new version in one or two months.

Feature wise, 3.1.0 offers few differences (some niceties) and more bug fixes. Problems normally occur because some people at one point jailbroken their devices. When 3.1.0 came out, they updated and restored from back-up. That is a mistake if you are coming from a jailbroken state. Why? Simply because old settings and jailbroken settings conflict on a non-jailbroken phone, thus it creates a hassle for the end user.

Advantages, well, you keep yourself up to date if that means anything. If you are thinking about MMS, don't worry, 3.0.1 or 3.0.0 can handle MMS just fine; although i advice you update at least to 3.0.1 due to the SMS big fix.

3. Xorro macrumors regular

Xorro

It's difficult to say as some people have had problems and others haven't.

IMO there's no major benefit in 3.1 over 3.0.1, no real extra functions or features.
    I wish I hadn't upgraded as I now have the battery issue with my standard (not jailbroken etc) 3GS :(

4. lollicup macrumors regular

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have never had any problems updating my phones to the latest firmware. I have no plans to ever jailbreak my phones. Of course, any update could cause problems with some users. I will continue to update my phones whenever a new update is released.

6. Tomb85 Guest

Tomb85

Can only give you my experience. Horrific. Downgraded back to 3.0.1.
    Never jailbroken, never done anything suspicious. Loved my iPhone until 3.1. Yeah it's a good version if it works. But I had about 5-6 comas a day. I'm staying well clear. Seems like the coma thing is mainly a 3G issue. So you may be ok??