Consoles - are they still where it's at?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Shacklebolt, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Does anyone see consoles as on the way out in the near future? Nintendo and Genesis were popularized back in the day because not everyone could afford the absorbitantly priced computers of the time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Portable) but could shell out 150 bucks for a game system. However, home computers are obviously more affordable these days.

Do people still see consoles for video games existing (existing = being manufactured) in 10-15 years?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

While its true, Computer are cheaper now, if you want a gaming computer, you're going to shell out a few grand. So there is still a large price gap.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The way the market is increasing with machines like the PS2, Wii and DS; I think it's going to be around for a very long time.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I think there will still be a market because they are designed for one thing and one thing only so they will be the best performing unless you spend thousands on a computer.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think the majority of people, the non-pc video game playing population, prefer to game in front of their television sets. this hasn't changed in over twenty years, and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Consoles are where it's at.

You only have to look at the continuing growth of the game industry which is arguably as big as the movie industry these days, and the focus on consoles - which again offer a genuine 'lifespan' over PC's (I mean at least you know your 360,ps3 will run NEW games in 2 years time, unlike a PC ;):eek:)

Exactly...

You only have to look at the manufacturers configs, and you can quite clearly see that 95% of their product ranges PC wise are not geared to 'latest gaming nirvana' at all.

Most PC users, like most MAC users - are not buying computers with GAMING as a main purpose and manufacturers know this.

Heck look at the Dell XPS (their gaming laptop). The 13" model, which comes with the X3100, same as the MacBook ? Your hardly gonna be playing crysis on it.

The general populace would rather spend $500/700 on a home computer/laptop and $300/400 on a games console, than spend $1500/2500 on a gaming rig, only to have to replace the bloody thing 2 years later because it can no longer play the 'latest' games as you want (which if your a gaming head - that is on HIGH).

Heck back to Crysis again and you probably need to spend more than $2500 to see that game on high. I mean is it really WORTH it ? How much work do you have to do to be able to blow $$$$$$ to play 10 hours of game.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If I had a desktop PC with good components already (C2D, 1-2gb ram etc) and it came down to shelling out £300 on a PS3 or 360, or spending that on a new graphics card and more ram. I'd go for the PC option.

I wouldn't spend that much on a console or PC bits anyways. Just a bit of theory ;)

Sitting back in a chair is nice, but I wouldn't want to do that with TF2 and a few other PC games. They all have their place. Except in the rain since nobody makes a water proof console yet :mad:

8. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I like to get away from my computer when I game... consoles since 1989 for me.

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

For me: Couch + Simplicity* = Win

* Unfortunately, the simplicity part of my equation seems to be less and less true these days with all the different SKUs and system patches. :(
    I'm afraid we might be one generation away from video games with the dreaded minimum/suggested system requirements.

I still play computer games for the genres that do not translate well to the console controller environment.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, playing games on the PC now a days means spitting out some big money which I really don't want to do. The consoles are an easy way of getting your gaming fix.

Consoles are for people who don't want to worry about if their specs is high enough to run the game...get the game and play(simple)

I'm one of those gamers that really don't care what/how the game is running once its running and I'm getting my dollars worth.

Console gaming is where its at and might be there for years to come.

Bless

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

300 for a console though will keep from buying new hardware until the next gen systems come out. 300 for a gaming PC will only last 6-12 months depending on how hardcore of a gamer you are.

EDIT: Consoles have solid gfx now and on-line play which used to be their major draw backs compared to PC games.

Lethal

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

True, but I use my PC for more than just playing games. Video rendering, developing etc. All run nicer with better specs.

Plus some games and genres just run better on PC's, and they're my fave ones too. FPS is a step behind on consoles with lack of developer tools, reduced modability (must be a word?), limited resolutions, pay or limited online. Not to forget the current lineup of consoles don't have the ability to perform at DX10 levels.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Hopefully though that is changing. I think UTIII on PS3 is a big step in the right direction. Mouse and Keyboard support for gameplay plus the ability to import PC mods to use on the PS3? that's awesome. If they had been able to get the whole PC <--> PS3 online thing going it would have been a good experiment.

I guess we will see how it pans out but if UTIII works as advertised on the PS3 hopefully it will be a new standard for all console FPSing.

14. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

With all the great console games that have been released in the past 6 months, I think consoles are the way to go. Now if I could just plop down on my couch and play WoW on my 360 with 37" HDTV life would be great :) WoW is the only computer game I still play.

15. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Most if not all FPS's comming out now are also getting released on consoles. Dev's/Pub's make more money from console games than computer games.

AFAIK the PS3 and 360 can pull off DX10 level stuff, just not the same way you do it in DX10. CryEngine2 could run on a console [PS3/360].

So yes consoles are where its at.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You are right, I've covered this misconception many times in the past. The 360's GPU can do a lot of the DX10 hardware features however it just uses it's own API (set of instructions) rather than the DX10 API.

DX10 is not the be all and end of - for gaming. Just PC ;) gaming.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Course it's not. I don't have or want a DX10 card myself. But as PC's are pushing quad core systems and RAM gets even cheaper computer specs are laughing at consoles. But that has always been the way. Consoles have the upper hand for a year or 2 through their more efficient design and lack of OS.

I wouldn't want to play Galaxy on my PC but I'd also never touch TF2 on a 360 again.

18. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Actually consoles do have an OS. It is what you see when you boot the console with no game in it. Console fare well against PC's because consoles are not a moving target in regards to specifications. Games that take advantage of PC hardware end up like Crysis, needing a god box to run with all the options turned on. Consoles have games that look close. Look at games like Uncharted, Killzone 2, or Rachet and Clank. Those games look good for graphics hardware that is almost 2 years behind. Think about the fact that the PS3 has the equivilent to a G71 [although bandwidth starved] in it. What games have you seen that look look as good as the previously mentioned games [and run well] on a G71?

19. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I had to laugh at this one, since the computers would indeed suck up all of your money.

it's exorbitantly, btw.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As long as you keep putting money into your PC that's true. But let's say you bought a 360 at launch and a gaming PC at the same time. 3-4 years after launch brand new 360 games should look better than ever, but new games on your 3-4 year old PC won't run well w/o the eye candy turned down.

Agreed, different genre's are better on different platforms. FPS are still better on the PC, but they play "good enough" on consoles now that most people don't care. Duke Nuke'em on the N64 was a b*tch to play, but Halo is pretty dang smooth. RTS and other "UI heavy" games aren't very console friendly (w/the exception of the Wii or DS) while fighting and sports games have never seemed "at home" on the PC to me.

-Lethal

21. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Consoles are superior for: platform, adventure, action, most arcade, FPS, 3PS, RPG, etc
    PC: Simple flash games.
    :D

Of course, if you think the keyboard is at ALL practical for gaming, then you probably haven't owned a console and won't agree. ;):eek:

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Really it's quite simple.

Take GH3 for mac.

When a situation of a pretty much 'basic' graphical game is requiring system specs such as this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=394150

Then how can PC or MAC gaming ever catch up to the behemoth of simplicity that is console gaming.

PC & MAC gaming is for chumps with WAY too much money, or elven warriors who need to escape reality with their +1 mace. ;)

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Cycling thru weapons/inventory on a console is painful compared to on a computer using hot keys. For example, I loved the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games on my PC, but trying to quickly choose weapons and force powers on the console Jedi games is just a royal PITA.

Lethal

24. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

I'm glad that this question was posed in a Mac Forum in the console games section...

I agree with most of the opinions, ie. true "gamer" pc's really pricey, etc. but come on.

25. applekid macrumors 68020

At least with game consoles, you know you can play games on that console for the next four or five years. With a PC, you're going to be upgrading and tweaking constantly.

I will say RTS's are still better on PC's (C&C 3 wasn't that hot on the 360, in my opinion), and I do kind of prefer FPS's with mouse and keyboard although I have many more FPS's on my consoles because my MacBook Pro can handle only so much.

To an extent, I wish some PC hardware component would slow down in progress. It would force the developers to be more efficient and utilize the hardware for a little longer.