Consolidating Apple gift cards

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dbrewer80221, Feb 19, 2016.

1. dbrewer80221, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

My credit card rewards me with physical Apple gift cards in $25 increments. In the past 10 months I have accumulated twelve $25 gift cards. I've been saving them for a new iPad.

The problem is that Apple only lets you use 8 gift cards in one transaction. I thought it would be good to combine the cards into one large gift card, but I'm not sure this can be done. I thought I would be clever and add them to my Passbook, but it added them as individual $25 cards.

So the only thing I can think of, if possible, is to use eight of the gift cards to buy one $200 gift card. Will Apple let me do this if I go down to the Apple Store? I've never tried to buy gift cards with gift cards, lol.

EDIT: I was successful in purchasing one $200 gift card with eight $25 gift cards.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know, try it and report back. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

3. RedOrchestra Suspended

Doesn't matter - you CAN'T use iTunes Gift Cards to purchase hardware.

4. dbrewer80221 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I didn't say they were iTunes gift cards. I clearly stated they're APPLE gift cards.

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

Well dang it, I want my family to start giving me some of those.

6. dbrewer80221 thread starter macrumors regular

Get the Barclays Apple Rewards credit card. 3% back on Apple/iTunes purchases, 2% on restaurants, 1% everywhere else. As long as you don't mind getting your rewards in gift cards (some people prefer cashback, or a points program) it's a good card.

Plus they have 0% financing offers all the time. I used it to buy two iPhone 6S'.

7. dbrewer80221 thread starter macrumors regular

I went to the Apple store on Monday and asked if it could be done. They said yes!

I basically bought one $200 gift card and paid for it using eight $25 gift cards.