Constant Kernel Panics...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Flightfreak, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Flightfreak macrumors newbie

At least 3 times, my BRAND NEW Macbook Pro (just upgraded to Lion from SL) gets Kernel Panics upon login (when it stops and says you have to restart your computer, right?) anyway, in the crash report, it mentions the Logmein Hamachi kext. Have there been any reports of hamachi crashing macs? I kinda need it, but I'm not sure what to do. :apple:

2. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Have you searched for other users having the same problem? Have you checked to see if the software developers were aware of any problem or had a fix?

Personally I would go back to Snow Leopard, Lion just isn't ready for prime time.

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

^ This - saved me a lot of grief. OP I suggest you do the same too.

4. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

You seem to be giving bad advice to everyone having a problem with Lion, the fix isn't to go back to a older OS. Eventually you will need to upgrade as software will stop supporting it. There is almost always a fix to everything. To the OP, Try Repairing disk permissions in Disk utility.

5. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Its not bad advice, its good advice. Most people even before Lion warned about upgrading until .1 or .2 of a new release. And Lion is the worst one released. If its such bad advice why did other people already agree with me and say it saved them lots of grief?

6. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Because its the only answer they got, they didn't get an answer to how to fix it. What about Mac OS X Leopard? It had tons of problems with the release! What about Panther? Everyone complained about it when it was released. How about you actually look for a fix, people arnt asking if they should downgrade, and yes Its DOWNGRADING, you will always need to latest OS to use the Latest Software and features. The advice your saying is not helpful but rather ignorant. If you had a problem, it doesn't mean everyone else will.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Does the crash report just "mention" it, or was it the thread that crashed? In any event, make sure you have a current, 64-bit version of their kext. As mentioned, contact the developer. While it's possible it is a Lion bug, I would wager it's a compatibility issue (meaning there were changes to Lion's API which were not (or incorrectly), complied with).

8. wpotere Guest

You are going to have to live with it until the fix the problems in Lion or try to shoehorn Snow Leopard on it. Lion likes to kernel panic, I have access to 3 machines that do it that had a clean install.

9. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

The fix is up to apple to fix it, not them. Apple doesn't provide you with the source code so you can fix it.

And you are not comparing Leopard to Lion in terms of stability on release... there is no comparing the two.

And no you should not always need to upgrade to the latest OS. How about all the people that hated vista and went back to XP, or Dell allowing them to by selling them downgrade rights? I bet you money there will be a 10.6.9 released. Microsoft still releases updates to Vista. I wonder why would they do that??? You might want to go tell them its not necessary.

10. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

You want a company that gets its features copied by competitors to release the source code? are you stupid?

11. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

I didn't say they should, are you stupid?

12. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

You said "Apple doesn't provide the source code for you to fix it"

Well why should they? If you don't like lion get out of the Lion Forums.

13. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Yes I did, that is a fact. I did not suggest they should, I don't know why your asking me to explain why they should. Your reading comprehension skills need some work.

Make me. :rolleyes:

14. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

15. wpotere Guest

That is you're, not your.... :p

Oops, looks like I responded before you had a chance to edit.

16. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I'll admit it.. But just because Lion just KP'ed on me for no reason. I'll join your club now..

17. wpotere Guest

Did you check the logs and dumps? Did you report it to Apple? Have you tried a fresh install? There is NOTHING wrong with Lion, it is flawless, it must be your hardware! :rolleyes::p

OK, I am done bagging on you now. There are issues with Lion and SL is still a very usable OS so if people need something a bit more solid until Apple can fix Lion then I don't see the problem.

18. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Did report it to apple.. Your right. Lion isn't the most stable OS. I Shouldn't of argued Lol. :apple:

(No I'm not being sarcastic..)