Consumer Alerts!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Do Not Buy
    True Temper 6-cu ft Poly Wheelbarrow purchased at Lowes.

[​IMG]

I've had this for several months, used it maybe 3 time, ran over a bougainvillea branch (with thorns), that poked holes in the tire. Tire can't be re-inflated because the hole leaks and after the tire deflated, the tire does not seal on the rims properly. Outrageously low quality for something sold as a high end wheel barrow. I've owned wheel barrows for decades and never have seen this. I've got an 10+ year old, rusting to pieces wheel barrow with a tire that still holds air. Also there is a comment on the Lowes website that the "never rust" poly tray can crack. Apparently poor quality all around.

This is what consumers get when US Companies have made products cheaply overseas, sell as high end and then pocket the profits. The consumer pays.

OF NOTE: True Temper's Web site says no replacement parts for this product in the U.S. and it's got a whopping 90 day warranty, woo hoo. It's doubtful I'll ever take a chance on another True Temper product.

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I would never buy a plastic wheel barrel to begin with, but you can get a replacement tire from a place like harbor freight for cheap and it will never go flat.

3. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Thanks for the information.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Most hauling I do is dirt and plants and poly can be pretty tough. Lowes was nice enough to give me a solid rubber no-flat ever wheel at their cost, but I'm still unhappy that I bought what was sold as a top end item and then have this issue. I believe there are wheel barrows sold out there that come with this type of a wheel.

5. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I don't know that I would consider a $69 wheelbarrow a "top end" wheelbarrow like you keep claiming, but ok.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Always an argument. This is based on the spectrum of wheel barrows Lowes offered last summer, ok? :p

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I was once told a top end wheelbarrow is one that you can place 3 full sized adults in to transport without anything going wrong. I'm still not sure what to make of that suggestion years later. Anyway, mine is steel, I think, and quite large.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

The first thing that came to mind was, "Does that include the shovel and quicklime?".

Well yes, I have been reading murder mysteries lately.

9. Zenithal macrumors 68040

10. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Recently moved into a home (first house, woot!) and the previous owners (who lived here 50 years) left their oldschool lawn cart which was probably manufactured around the time of the Nixon administration. 2 Giant wheels, almost all steel, and strong enough you could probably move a car with it (or at least 3 adults)

Suffice it to say - I'm going to be all set for a long time with this sucker. It's hard to find long-lasting good products these days, without spending a ton.

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The only thing I'd recommend doing is to wash it and dry it well. Lubricate moving parts with anti moisture grease and if you must, check for rust. If there is any, sand it down and paint the barrel. I'd then use a few coats of clear coat.

I live in Southern California, so this process will last me 4-5 years until I have to repeat it. If you live somewhere wetter and often colder, then doing it yearly should help preserve it.

12. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

That is pretty good service, though. Not every store would've done that.

13. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You are right, however in the customer's eyes, the store holds responsibility for what they sell, quality or junk and its up to the store to mitigate when a product is revealed to be less than quality. Lowes did ok in this instance.

Earlier that day a customer came in with the same issue. On the Lowes web site, customers, hammered the product. But I'll acknowledge interpretation of customer reviews is usually required, especially on Amazon (which sells both junk and quality Apparantly with impunity. When someone says a third party iPhone charger or a pair of reading glasses lasted a month, that gets my attention. I've learned my lesson regarding $5 chargers even some that are labeled Apple certified. :) One item, Amazon did not even want it back, they just refunded my money when I asked for a refund.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

For your next wheel barrow purchase bring 3 friends. :)

We want things cheap, but not cheaply made. My primary issue (besides many of these items represent formerly US based manufacturing jobs), with Made in China can be inconsistent quality, and in some cases dangerous items. The problem is lack of oversight and in some cases US manufacturers charge top dollar, but are peddling second hand quality and pocketing the difference.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1306...lling-dangerous-products-to-us-consumers.html

15. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

What is really sad is how many good ol' US of A made products are both expensive to buy and cheaply made. Seems to be happening more and more.

16. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It seems like I rarely run not anything not Made in China, even my iPhone, which for that case seems to be quality made, but I'm really bugged this highly desired product is not manufactured in the US by the US Company that created it. :(

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Amazon didn't ask for a refund because their supplier didn't. They still got a full refund for the faulty item.
    As for charging cables, I until recently bought the genuine Apple ones as I thought they would last better. Then recently I bought a Anker one and it looks to be of a much tougher construction for less money.
    image.png
    Time will tell I guess, but so far so good. Regarding made in the US (or UK) vs made in China, I find the country less important than the QC process and materials used.

18. A.Goldberg, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Next time buy a nice steel Jackson wheel barrow. That's what the pros always seem to use. They will cost a bit more than $69. When it comes to tools often spending a little bit more ensures it will last a lot longer. How many wheelbarrows does one really want to buy in life? We've had our Jackson for decades. That said, they don't make things like they used to. Plastic also has the convenience of not being so heavy.

That was nice of Lowes to replace the wheel with a better quality part. That's a good testiment to their customer service. I always preferred them to Home Depot.

19. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

When i bought my house 5 years ago my grandparents got me a few things. One of them was a wheel barrow and thank goodness they asked me what I wanted. I had three requirements:
    1. Steel tub
    2. Deep tub
    3. Run flat tire

I ditched the standard nuts that came with it and went with some nylocks all the way around.

I have mixed a lot of concrete and stuff in the wheel barrow and beat it up pretty good. Never had a problem with it yet. Should I poke a whole in the steel tub for some reason I can always just grind the paint off in the area and weld a patch into place.

20. Huntn, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I understand that. My point was they did not expect me to ship them back, possibly because these items were such junk and the maker knew it. Tougher looking may be a quality indicator, but that does not guarantee a longer life, but it might help. ;)

The last two iPad charging cables I bought were Apple Certified OWC brand, and look heavier duty than the official Apple cable, with a one year warranty. One was replaced for free, so far. :rolleyes:

Next time! ;) I'll say that despite the tire issue, I like the construction of this item. Wheel barrels are not complicated, you just want the body/tray and tire to hold up. I haul mostly dirt and plants so I suspect the poly will be fine and one less thing to rust.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Poly can deteriorate from the elements, so it's not fool proof. Poly will eventually be like hard Styrofoam, and is easy to crack and crumble with gloved hands. Actually, what surprises me most is that wheelbarrows don't come with run-flat or solid tires. I always thought they did. Seems a bit backwards to use a regular tube tire.