Consumer Reports now recommend 2016 Macbook Pro after Apple fixes bug

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dk808, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dk808 macrumors 6502a

2. ajcgn macrumors regular

ajcgn

3. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Twas the perfect day to pick up my 13 inch tMBP at the Apple Store today :p

This machine is amazing. Granted, I've had it for three hours and haven't had much time with it yet but so far, I'm absolutely loving it.

4. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Strangely, gets even better over time, at least for me.

I am glad that Apple and CR acknowledged that there was an issue with the battery/testing. Not that either admitted doing something wrong, but at least with acknowledgement, they could do something about these cases. Those initial test results were crazy all over the place. Glad that's another controversy quelled.

5. touchtouch macrumors newbie

touchtouch

How the CR tests the battery life of MBP? I'd like to test it on my laptop

6. evec macrumors regular

I thing most of review cannot say too negative to any product, and Consumer Reports say something negative and the Apple's lawyer prepare working and Consumer reports don't want face on court.

CR turns off the browser cache is TRUE because we will not reread some web content in short time, most of time we just read one content once.
    The Apple said this wrong only they don't want to face up the problem, even the machine meet of web browser battery test, new MacBook pro is very short battery time working at PRO usage such as music productions and programming.

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Any laptop will have short battery life doing heavy-duty work. That's not what CR was measuring. (This has nothing to do with lawyers.)

8. joey561 macrumors newbie

Wahey! Now you can all sleep at night, because your overpriced gizmo has been recommended by some tosspot on a naff website.

9. dk808 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't be mad, broke boy

10. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

What?! That's always been the case. I've never got close to the actual quoted battery life when running LP9/LPX or FCP. That's because the CPU/GPU ramp up and suck battery. That's just common sense, though. You'd have to have a fundemental lack of understanding about hardware and computers in general if you expect the same battery life when system resources are under heavy load.

Mind you, when you're working on 'PRO usage', I find you're rarely running on battery without any chance of charging the laptop. Either you'd have a load of stuff plugged into ports for external monitors/DACs or Line in/out on earlier Macs, or at the absolute least you'd have a pair of headphones plugged in and the charger in too.

11. ascender macrumors 68020

Consumer Reports have lost whatever remaining credibility they thought they had by the way they've handled this.

12. alex0002 macrumors 6502

So where does this leave us firefox/chrome users?
    Is the battery life only good with Safari?

Please don't suggest using Safari for everything as I need some of the extensions and ability to sync bookmarks with my desktop.

13. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Use safari for everything...Anything else will suck the battery down. Until the the next update for MacOS we won't know for sure how that will impact battery life. Rumors are the beta version helps significantly. If the update improves it enough to use other browsers then go for it. My experience so far is any other browser absolutely draws more power than safari. And truth is I have little reason to be in Chrome, I am happy with Safari other than the very occasional Flash issue. Safari has the ability to put extensions on it btw.

Or just use whatever browser you want and deal with the battery depleting a lot quicker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.