Consumer Reports Reverses Course, Recommends MacBook Pro Following New Testing After Apple Bug Fix

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Consumer Reports is out with an updated report on the 2016 MacBook Pro, and following retesting, the magazine is now recommending Apple's latest notebooks.

In the new test, conducted running a beta version of macOS that fixes the Safari-related bug that caused erratic battery life in the original test, all three MacBook Pro models "performed well."

The 13-inch model without a Touch Bar had an average battery life of 18.75 hours, the 13-inch model with a Touch Bar lasted for 15.25 hours on average, and the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar had an average battery life of 17.25 hours.
    Consumer Reports originally denied the 2016 MacBook Pro a purchase recommendation in late December due to extreme battery life variance that didn't match up with Apple's 10 hour battery life claim.

Apple worked with Consumer Reports to figure out why the magazine encountered battery life issues, which led to the discovery of an obscure Safari caching bug. Consumer Reports used a developer setting to turn off Safari caching, triggering an "obscure and intermittent bug reloading icons" that drained excessive battery.

The bug, fixed by Apple in macOS Sierra 10.12.3 beta 3, is not one the average user will encounter as most people don't turn off the Safari caching option, but it's something done in all Consumer Reports tests to ensure uniform testing conditions. A fix for the issue will be available to the general public when macOS Sierra 10.12.3 is released, but users can get it now by signing up for Apple's beta testing program.

Each of the three 2016 MacBook Pro models, including the 13-inch MacBook Pro without Touch Bar, and the 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models with Touch Bars, are advertised as achieving 10 hours of battery life on a single charge when watching iTunes movies or browsing the web.

Real life Battery usage can vary significantly, however, based on factors like screen brightness and the applications being used.

Article Link: Consumer Reports Reverses Course, Recommends MacBook Pro Following New Testing After Apple Bug Fix

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

Now we need a consumer reports for consumer reports.

3. hybroid macrumors regular

hybroid

4. Appleaker, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

Appleaker macrumors 68020

Apples software really isn't up to scratch anymore. At least this is fixed now but it doesn't tell the story for Chrome users.

For those who got confused by this ^, here's what it does NOT say:
    "at least this is fixed now but Apple haven't fixed Chrome"

Here's what it DOES say:
    "at least this is fixed now, but it [the report] doesn't tell the story for Chrome users"

While the first report said results with a Chrome were consistent, I don't believe the numbers were published nor were they compared with the Safari results.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

The 13" Touch Bar model is rated 75 vs. 77 for the 12" MacBook.

6. macTW Suspended

As expected. If battery life is poor, clearly there is a hard flaw. But to have inconsistent battery life is indicating of issues easily fixable. Like Apple did.

Time to see consumers reporting better battery life.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Not Apple's fault that Google refuses Apple's offer to help them optimize Chrome's code for OS X.

8. Appleaker macrumors 68020

With the reply they gave to Consumer Reports, and they're lack of care for the Mac, they deserved it.

9. Sevanw, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2017

Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Riiiiiiiiight........:rolleyes: money talks, ******** walks.

10. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I never said it was Apples fault. It's always been Googles fault.

11. macTW Suspended

Chrome's issue. Not Apple. Blame Google.

12. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

How many legs were broken for this to happen? This is a really dirty move for both of them.

13. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

CR is complete class. Wish there were more independent testing companies instead of all the sponsored crap reviews that pollute the 'net.

14. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I am blaming Google. Why, in any way, would it be Apples fault? iIts always been Googles fault. Read what I said.

15. iHack13 macrumors regular

iHack13

I'll only believe it when the battery time indicator is back.

16. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Yeah, you pretty much did.

Maybe you didn't mean to, but you did.

17. adh328 macrumors member

how?

18. RedOrchestra Suspended

HOPEFULLY Consumer Reports will be collecting a handsome sum of Apple QA reward money for discovering a bug in Apple's OS.

19. Appleaker macrumors 68020

"At least this is fixed now but it doesn't tell the story for Chrome users."
    ??? How the hell does that blame Apple? I said at least the bug is fixed now, but the tests don't show the story for Chrome users. I know what I said.

20. jozero macrumors 6502

"The 13-inch model without a Touch Bar had an average battery life of 18.75 hours, the 13-inch model with a Touch Bar lasted for 15.25 hours on average, and the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar had an average battery life of 17.25 hours."

Uh ??

Yah definitely trusting Consumer Reports.

21. chfilm, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

22. flaw600 macrumors 6502

What does Apple have to do with Chrome? Chrome has poor resource usage and leads to poor battery life on every platform that it's on natively, so that isn't really Apple's fault. There's also the fact that Safari is the most used browser on Mac according to Apple if I remember correctly

23. otternonsense, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

Considering everything else that's wrong, misplaced and unfinished about this computer, the battery indicator has become the least of one's concerns.

24. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yeah, I don't get how this is possible. 15-18 hours? I can't imagine the machine will even run that long at idle with the screen off.

25. Lucidtosh macrumors newbie

Lucidtosh

While some may prefer speculation, I actually have the 15" and battery life has been very good.