Consumer Reports Pulls Purchase Recommendation for Microsoft Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 10, 2017 at 8:56 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After previously giving four Microsoft Surface devices a purchase "recommendation" status, Consumer Reports today has pulled that status from the Microsoft products. The publication said that because of "poor predicted reliability" in comparison with rival brands, it can no longer recommend any Surface laptops or tablets to consumers.

The decision specifically targets four Microsoft Surface devices, including the Surface Book (128GB and 512GB versions) and the Surface Laptop (128GB and 256GB versions). Although only four devices are losing their previously designated "recommended" status, Consumer Reports pointed out that its inability to recommend Microsoft Surface products extends across the company's laptop and tablet devices, including the Surface Pro.

[​IMG]

As usual, Consumer Reports based its decision on a survey conducted by its subscribers and the devices they own and use each day, this time focusing on over 90,000 tablets and laptops from multiple brands purchased between 2014 and early 2017. The study found that an estimated 25 percent of Microsoft tablets and laptops will "present their owners with problems" as soon as the end of the second year of ownership.

In its findings, the publication said the differences between the breakage rates of Microsoft devices and other brands were "statistically significant."
    Originally, multiple Microsoft Surface products performed well in Consumer Reports' lab testing, but as time has passed and as more data has been collected a reliability issue has come into question. Survey respondents mentioned device startup problems, unexpected freezes or shut downs, and unresponsive touch screens, all occurring well after the devices were purchased.

Microsoft gave the following statement in an email sent to Consumer Reports regarding the new findings:
    Late last year, Apple was also denied a purchase recommendation from Consumer Reports for its 2016 MacBook Pro, because battery life "varied dramatically" from one trial to another. After working together to find the source of the issue at hand -- which Apple discovered to be a bug in a hidden Safari setting -- Consumer Reports reversed its decision and gave the new MacBook Pro devices a recommended purchase status.

Article Link: Consumer Reports Pulls Purchase Recommendation for Microsoft Surface Devices

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not good news for MS, though I will say that my Surface Book has been problem free (knocks on wood).

3. PilotWoo macrumors regular

Totally agree with this, I'm on my third Surface in 5 months.

4. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

This is really weird timing. I was just in pc world with the sales guy trying to get me to buy one of these over the MacBook I went in for as the tweet notification came in.

Needless to say his arguments soon changed to getting the Mac instead

5. lightmyway macrumors member

lightmyway

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

6. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Cause he didn't want to lose a sale, ha, perfect example of a spineless sales person.

7. kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

HAHAHA this is too good to be true. It is unfortunate that the Surface is buggy. I was enjoying the competition between MS and Apple.

8. pat500000, Aug 10, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 11:15 AM

pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

9. PilotWoo macrumors regular

No choice, its a work supplied device. And thats not the definition of insanity.

10. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

The word is "biased", and how so?

11. eatrains macrumors regular

Hmm, I wonder if this non-recommendation will cause the same media storm that the MBP one did...

12. dorsal macrumors member

13. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors regular

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

I wonder how much Apple paid for this?

(For those who are comically challenged, this was a joke.)

14. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 65816

LoveToMacRumors

If you don't take care of your PC, of course it's going to break. Apple make it easier without the need for drivers, simple updates. But still, if you never update your software / OS on a Mac, pretty sure it's going to break up pretty quickly also.

15. outskirtsofinfinity macrumors newbie

outskirtsofinfinity

16. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Plus they come with Windows 10, cancer OS.

17. critter13 macrumors 6502

agreed, could we get a publication that isn't biased towards facts and statistics? We need an Onion version of Consumer Reports to properly represent the people.

18. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Opinion:
    There has never been any true competition between MS Surface devices and Apple devices. Surface sales have always been minuscule compared to the overall PC and Tablet markets. Surface devices have achieved 2 successes, 1 primary and the other secondary. The secondary success has been brand recognition. Between MS marketing and the tech media's proselytizing, people recognize the Surface brand. The primary success achieved by the Surface products is it's purpose for being: to serve as reference design to get PC OEM's to get off their collectives butts and deliver functional devices with compelling form. That they have done.

19. democracyrules macrumors 6502

Although Apple Mac is not perfect, it is simply the best user friendly and secured computer in the world like iPhone. Unless I have to use Windows for my personal use, I would never touch and recommend any Microsoft computer devices. I agree with the article and the Computer Review.

20. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Of course, anything that doesn't bash Apple and praise it's competitors is "biased".

I guess instead of reporting facts about the products of other companies, they should just make things up to make Apple look bad. Yeah, that would be really objective!

21. dampfnudel macrumors 68020

Only in the world of retiring baby boomers.

22. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

The statistics are based solely on feedback from CR subscribers. It's a pretty targeted pool IMO.

“Microsoft’s real-world return and support rates for past models differ significantly from Consumer Reports’ breakage predictability,” Microsoft said in an emailed statement. “We don’t believe these findings accurately reflect Surface owners’ true experiences or capture the performance and reliability improvements made with every Surface generation.”

23. Iconoclysm macrumors 68000

Iconoclysm

This has nothing to do with software - nor should a PC break because you didn't update. This is hardware related.

I've had 6 different surface devices in the past 5 years, have experienced countless problems with them and have never been happy with a single one.

24. dampfnudel macrumors 68020

Looks like MS picked the wrong Chinese factory/group of workers to manufacture these things.

25. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I think a better definition is repeating a made up definition, pretending it to be true. d-: