Consumer Reports Ranks iPhone X Below iPhone 8 Because of Durability and Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Consumer Reports today shared its final iPhone X testing results, and while the site has given the iPhone X a recommendation, Apple's new flagship smartphone has been ranked below the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus in the Consumer Reports recommended list.

The iPhone X did make the Consumer Reports list of top 10 smartphones in the number 9 slot, but the site says it did not beat out the iPhone 8 or the iPhone 8 Plus because of its poor performance on a durability test. Both the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus better survived a tumble test for emulating real-world drops and fumbles of about 2.5 feet that can result in device damage, despite the fact that all three devices have glass bodies.

After 50-100 tumbles, one iPhone X model suffered serious body damage, while two others had screen defects. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus ended up with just a few scrapes after the test. Front displays for the iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus all came away unscathed, and the iPhone X did well on scratch tests and water resistance tests.

[​IMG]
    Consumer Reports also had some complaints about the iPhone X battery life, which does not last as long as the battery in Samsung phones like the Galaxy S8. The iPhone X lasted 19.5 hours in the Consumer Reports battery test, compared to 26 hours for the Samsung Galaxy S8 and 21 hours for the iPhone 8 Plus.

The iPhone X didn't fare well on durability or battery tests, but it did earn the highest camera score out of all the smartphones tested by Consumer Reports. The site also listed the OLED display and the Face ID facial recognition system as iPhone X strengths.
    Overall, Consumer Reports continues to rank the Samsung Galaxy S8 and the Samsung Galaxy S8+ as its top two recommended smartphones, mainly due to superior battery life, followed by the iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone 8 in spots number three and four. At number nine, the iPhone X is at the bottom of the list, but only a few points separate all of the devices tested.

Article Link: Consumer Reports Ranks iPhone X Below iPhone 8 Because of Durability and Battery Life

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Durability is completely subjective. That's based on how someone treats their device and what type of protection they use. Every iPhone will react differently to a drop based on angle and impact.

3. friednoodles macrumors 6502

4. Gaprofitt macrumors regular

Not surprising.. Apple isn't all it's cracked up to be..

5. vicviper789 macrumors member

sounds like consumer reports is trying to get more views

6. Gaprofitt macrumors regular

Nonsense. Durability can easily be tested..

7. plexdk macrumors 6502

I dont care, still rocking mine without a cover :p (unless im going out)...

8. asdavis10 macrumors regular

asdavis10

Consumer Reports has been hating on Apple since antenna-gate. They'll always find a reason to recommend Samsung over Apple. Nothing surprising here.

9. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

Consumer Reports is becoming irrelevant, they needs some news today

10. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I don't really care, all good phones, but this is going to make all the Samsung fans on Macrumors really happy, as well as all the X haters.

11. ticlortic macrumors newbie

ticlortic

...50-100... drops?!? What are people doing with their phones? Anyone who drops the same object even 10 times probably is in dire need of medical attention....

12. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

I could have done without the extra weight and fragility of the glass back. Battery life has been fantastic though.

13. lw9090 macrumors regular

14. djcerla, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Ridiculous.

Battery life is awesome, I go to bed with >50% battery with my normal everyday usage that sinked the 6S+.

15. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

If I cared enough about durability, I would use a heavy duty case. If I needed more than my average day of battery life, I would’ve gone with an external battery. I am content with my X!

16. Syk macrumors 6502a

People still give Consumer Reports attention?
    These drop test are worthless IMO unless Apple or Samsung is claiming you can drop it out of a window and not break.
    It's an electronic device. They don't do well very often when you drop them. I've seen enough mixed results on YouTube for these phones to say it's just the luck of the draw on if your breaks or not.

If they were doing drop test on the Samsung Active or OtterBox and other protection cases to see if they lives up to its rugged claims that would be different.

I don't expect a phone with a glass back and front screen to hold well being dropped

17. pondhopper macrumors member

pondhopper

Pun intended?

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

In some respects, It can completely be overblown towards what's considered durable based on how the test is subjective. But your ultimately it's depending on what the user is using for protection and the results of the test. They're are too many variables what can happen to a phone in general when it comes to breaking it and they all scenarios in general can't be tested.

19. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

20. longpath macrumors member

longpath

So they assessed the iPhone X lower than the iPhone 8 for durability based on a test with a high degree of random chance involved, while ignoring that both phones have the exact same back panel material? Did I read that right?!?

21. pondhopper macrumors member

pondhopper

Saw the X..... wondered Y......passed it up....Zzzzzz.

22. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

They drop tested a total of 4 units (and perhaps 2 more in their "initial tests"). Not something i'd call entirely scientific.

23. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It sounds like you're conflating durability with your dislike for Apple. Those are two different things. Any phone can be ultimately testing based on durability depending on the situation and what "tests" the phone is subjected too.

24. Packers1958 macrumors 6502a

25. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I don't know about the 8 because I upgraded from a 6S Plus, but battery life for me is outstanding.

But I agree that I wouldn't want to drop this without a case on, but that is true of every phone I've owned.