Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Curiously no mention of processing speed, ease of use, virus protection, quality of 3rd party apps and no real quantifiable data other than battery life. and no mention of their testing methods. CR is a joke right now.

The S8 is very fast. Apps launch quickly. And the curved and long display makes it really easy to use one handed.

techconc

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
Although my days of 4S were mostly pleasant with very few hiccups, my experiences with later iOS's have been awful. From the 6, to 6s and now 7, iOS has been pretty abysmal for me in terms of stability. So many app crashes, general UI freezes, heck even the camera and phone default apps play up. The browser constantly decides to stop working too. It has actually made me consider returning back to Android - I mean I gave up the flexibility of Android for the stability of iOS, but now that is out the window, what am I doing in this walled garden. I am not even someone who installs lots of app's or a user of 3rd party app's, I generally almost always try use the default app

I am sure some of you will be like "I don't have any issues", but it is the same as Android users telling you about their faultless Android experiences, it doesn't really matter does it? It boils down to what you experience.

I guess the only thing going for iPhone 8 for me is, that I need it for the Apple Watch (which I do enjoy, haven't had any issues with it, although I don't do too much on it!).

Sorry, but I have to call BS on this being a troll post. Maybe you can link to a video which demonstrates ANY of the claims you say. In terms of third party applications, that can happen on any system. In terms of general UI freezes or issues with any of the default apps including the camera... show me. I call BS.

Reactions: ececlv

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
The funny thing is that the iPhone 8 will be what the iPhone 7 should have been, but one year later and probably overpriced as it's technology all the other manufacturers have been selling for almost a year already at a more reasonable price.

Do "all the other manufacturers" have fingerprint sensors embedded under the display? Or potentially 120 Hz refresh rates? Or any number of things that Apple could include that we don't know about yet? Such a silly thing to comment when the phone hasn't even been announced.

Also, since when has Apple tried to compete on price?

Reactions: techconc

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What a huge steaming crock of poop. I own the iPhone 7 Plus and the S8+. The dual camera made a world of difference to me on a recent cross country trip. Try being on a boat with the opportunity to take pictures of sea lions on a buoy for the first and possibly only time in your life, and tell me the 2X optical zoom doesn't give the iPhone 7 Plus an advantage over the single lens of the S8+ and I will think you are bonkers.

The iPhone also does a much nicer job rendering pictures that accurately render color in indoor scenes.

The S8+ has many advantages that make it a wonderful smartphone to own but I hate to see the very capable IPhone 7Plus considered outdated just because it has bezels.

As far as operating systems go, both seem to be at comparable levels of reliability at this point in time. Of course, that changes with each update. But depending on your needs and preferences there are logical reasons for going with either.

If you can own both, I heartily recommend it for the fun and a chance to expand your perspective and to discard illogical biases and prejudices. I switch back and forth between both phones all day. I greatly admire and appreciate what Samsung and Apple have brought to their customers.

If I had to pick only one, well that's a tough one because the S8+ has some unique features and is so highly customizable. The camera user interface makes more sense and gives you more options than the one on the iPhone. I find more things to appreciate about my S8+ the longer I own it. For that matter I still have a high opinion of my S7 that I still own.

But it would still be my iPhone 7 Plus that I would pick if I could have only one. In part because of the dual lens camera and messaging seems more reliable and feature rich via iMessage. For those that use fingerprint authentication for financial services, that's still better supported in iOS apps than in Android. I also just really prefer flat displays. The curved display on the S8+ works fine and it's cool looking but it throws a lot of reflection when I'm trying to view video. It gets old fast. I do love the bigness of the screen though. Beautiful.

I have both Samsung watches and a Nike Apple Watch. Samsung watches are really nice. The workmanship isn't as good as with the Apple Watch, but the features and user interface are quite nice. But for a petite woman, the Apple Watch is more comfortable and I will be swimming with it on. At one time I thought I could walk away from the Apple Watch and IPhone team but with the reality of summer life upon me, I find that prospect unthinkable now.

techconc

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
Curiously no mention of processing speed, ease of use, virus protection, quality of 3rd party apps and no real quantifiable data other than battery life. and no mention of their testing methods. CR is a joke right now.
Exactly. It's not just phones though. Read their reviews of cameras, they are equally funny. The things they choose as selection criteria are often comical and their testing methodologies are rather poor.

ncollingridge

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
How come the battleground always shifts to whatever area an Android phone is seen as being better? I see they no longer talk about performance, and why is there no mention of the most crucial issue - lack of software updates meaning most Android phones become wide open to malware around a year old? The dramatic increase in cost of ownership of having to replace your phone much more often than with an iPhone surely merits being at least considered by a publication such as Consumer Reports?

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
The back of the S8 is gross and the top and bottom bezels on the front are questionable at best. The software is still a mess. Software is by far the most important thing. I would certainly never pay any attention to Consumer Reports after this.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Seems pointless to judge one companies newest gen product with another's essentially last gen product. If CR was truely "honest" they would have held the story until the end of the year when then could compare the S8 with iPhone 8. Of course when the iPhone 8 comes out it will likely beat S8. Then S9 will beat iPhone 8. Rinse, wash, repeat. How does this help buyers? Seems like it's only point is to sell magazines and website subscriptions.
I've always been curious why this opinion is so pervasive on MR. It's wrong on it's premise, and impractical in it's application. CR compares items that are on sale now so that consumers can make an informed decision about products they want to buy now. Using your same logic, the review of the iPhone 7 could have been held until this year when the S8 came out.o_O Products are reviewed when they are on the market. Reviews aren't held for any other products or product categories so why should phones be any different? If the reviews were only done once or twice a year, your argument might hold water. As is, it's a sieve.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So which Samsung phone would they compare? By years end, Samsung will have the S8, S8+ and the Note 8 on the market.

They could just do a straight reveiw on it's own merits like car mags do with new cars -- the head to head articles always come later. But if they really want to do a head to head there are other Android phones that have been released this year. CR just wants to pull in the iPhone because it's the iPhone. They pretend they are honest brokers but reviewing last year's iPhone with this year's S8 is not a fair fight. Sorry.

techconc

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
Look up the touch screen disease Apple updates their phone causes the quadrants to **** up and then ask their customers for $130 sorry ******** Apple when the Note 7 blew up they gave everybody Edge 7s free VR headsets and $100 all off contract I can see water droplets on my son's hand as rain falls with the S8 camera the iPhone 7 plus that I work with cannot I should also point out I don't think anybody realizes that Apple just ordered 20 million Samsung curved panels so they've clearly finally admitted Retina display pales in comparison to a Super AMOLED screen
Hint: A legitimate hardware issue is not related to OS stability. For that matter, actual screen reviews contradicts your claims. AMOLED has inherent strengths and weaknesses. Color accuracy is NOT a strength of AMOLED. Power efficiency is. Either way, AMOLED is clearly a stop gap on the way to MicroLED which has the best of both worlds.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
The funny thing is that the iPhone 8 will be what the iPhone 7 should have been, but one year later and probably overpriced as it's technology all the other manufacturers have been selling for almost a year already at a more reasonable price.

Other manufacturers have been selling the A11 chip for a year? Wow, where can I find these amazing phones?

techconc

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
I always buy my phone based on the design ... i dont cure if a phone is a half second faster or if the camera has a xy better sensor. They all are great so what i am looking at by 2017 is the design.

My iPhone 7 Plus with its redic bezel looks like a tube tv next to a slim UHDTV compared to other phones on the market
Interesting post. You both describe yourself as being shallow for being concerned with appearance over functionality. Then, you go on to contradict yourself by mocking your own purchase decision. Keep posting... you're amusing.

Chaginxin

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2015
As a iPhone user since the very beginning, in my opinion, the poor stability of iOS and virtually useless Siri voice recognition sets the bar to beat the iPhone pretty low these days.....

Huh? I think maybe we live in parallel universes...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I've always been curious why this opinion is so pervasive on MR. It's wrong on it's premise, and impractical in it's application. CR compares items that are on sale now so that consumers can make an informed decision about products they want to buy now. Using your same logic, the review of the iPhone 7 could have been held until this year when the S8 came out.o_O Products are reviewed when they are on the market. Reviews aren't held for any other products or product categories so why should phones be any different? If the reviews were only done once or twice a year, your argument might hold water. As is, it's a sieve.

But that isn't true. You don't see head to head match ups pitting the latest and greatest of one with the soon-to-be retired product of another. It's a pointless read. Now if the product is old like a Canon 7D but still current and not slated for an update then, sure, pit it against the Nikon D500. But everyone knows the iPhone 7 isn't long for this world. No one would recommend buying one right now unless you really needed a new phone and you wanted to stick with iOS. But someone buying a new phone from scratch? No, they aren't buying last year's phone. That's silly. That is why this match up is silly. They might as well put up a headline: "Amazing discovery 2+2 confirmed at equalling 4."

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
iOS 11's unveiling gives me very little hope on the software side unless Apple is holding back a lot of multi-tasking features similar to the iPad while taking advantage of bigger screen real-estate.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
No, thanks. The device looks great (arguably, the best looking device out right now), but the software is a...hot...ass...mess. It really just kills the experience.

The fact is the hardware is only as good as the software. And iOS 11 is far better than Android. Recent updates to Apple's iWork software makes the value proposition of iOS even better.

I will wait for the iPhone 8 before I would compare to the S8. The S8 is a beautiful phone but its value is decremented because it runs Android.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
But that isn't true. You don't see head to head match ups pitting the latest and greatest of one with the soon-to-be retired product of another. It's a pointless read. Now if the product is old like a Canon 7D but still current and slated for an update then, sure, pit it against the Nikon D500. But everyone knows the iPhone 7 isn't long for this world. No one would recommend buying one right now unless you really needed a new phone and you wanted to stick with iOS. But someone buying a new phone from scratch? No, they aren't buying last year's phone. That's silly. That is why this match up is silly. They might as well put up a headline: "Amazing discovery 2+2 confirmed at equalling 4."

I shoot with my "Ancient" D700 every weekend. It's like a fine wine. Just send it in every so often for a cleaning and keep the AF matched to the glass. When the CMOS dies, I'll buy a used one. ;)

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
Later is always better than previous models, how does this comparison make sence, wait for the iPhone 8 and then see how it will blow away the galaxy S8
I don't think that will be a problem Apple always has a top notch device price might be high but you have to pay for quality .

Reactions: Sunny1990

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Interesting post. You both describe yourself as being shallow for being concerned with appearance over functionality. Then, you go on to contradict yourself by mocking your own purchase decision. Keep posting... you're amusing.

What does that have to do with being shallow. Do you never buy shoes or pants cuz you liked them. Would you buy an iPhone if it looked like a Nokia N80 in 2017? Ew

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

The newest smartphone ratings from Consumer Reports...

I stopped reading at this point.

Consumer Reports lost my trust when they rated the Saturn a better vehicle that the Honda Civic.

They are a group of people with an opinion, nothing more. The Internet is full of people with opinions. Why should I bother with Consumer Reports?

As to the reason of the thread, the Samsung Galaxy S8 is a very nice smartphone, as is the iPhone 7. And I'm sure the iPhone 8 will be an even better smartphone than the iPhone 7.

As to which is a better phone, decide what is important to you. Search out opinions of people who have likes/needs as you and see what they say. Then make you decision on what is best for you.

Either one will serve the needs of most people.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.