Consumer Reports Tests Apple Watch for Readability, Water Resistance, Fitness Tracking and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 6, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Consumer Reports has crowned the Apple Watch as its top-rated smartwatch in its test of 11 smartwatch models from eight manufacturers, including the Asus ZenWatch, LG G Watch R, Moto 360, Pebble Steel, Samsung Gear S and Sony SmartWatch 3. The not-for-profit organization tested the Apple Watch and competing devices for step count accuracy, screen readability, ease of use, scratch resistance, water resistance, heart rate tracking and more.

In particular, the stainless steel Apple Watch scored the highest among the smartwatches tested because of its high readability in bright and low light, ease of use, ease of pairing with an iPhone, durable scratch resistance, IPX7 water resistance rating and accurate heart rate and step count tracking. Meanwhile, the Sony SmartWatch 3 finished at the bottom of the rankings, primarily because it failed the 24-hour water immersion test.

Article Link: Consumer Reports Tests Apple Watch for Readability, Water Resistance, Fitness Tracking and More

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

IPX7 is for immersion upto 1m.

Where does Apple claim this? I thought they only supported brief spray from shower/hand washing?

X7 should be enough for say a tri swimmer doing laps.

3. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

I'll let you know if any of this is true...once mine finally arrives!

Hello June :-/

4. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

There is fine print on the Apple Watch website:

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

I dont have mine yet...but these articles just keep teasing me! Dammit, I have no patience at all.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

7. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Definitely true

I took a swim with my watch. Still working beautifully. So far I have yet to have any reported issue. My crown works perfectly, no tattoogate, mainly because I don't have one, no water leak problems, or haptic feedback issues. I've pulled as much as 24 hours out of my battery.

SS 42mm BSB

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

----------

See post above. :p

8. djgamble macrumors 6502a

9. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

The recommend use should be more conservative than the maximum rating.

10. hortod1 macrumors regular

hortod1

11. wigby macrumors 65816

The first feature listed on the Garmin's product page is "Designed for open water and pool swimming". It also tracks swimming strokes. Two completely different products for two completely different markets.

12. Chatter macrumors 6502a

BIG hate coming your way sir. BIG Hate.
    :p

13. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

The whole "tattoogate" confuses me. This just seems like common sense. I would assume that an optical sensor is affected by ink in the skin that absorbs light.

14. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

lol :D:D:D

15. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

For the past 3 days, I've been working out at the gym and taking it in the shower with me in the morning. So far, it's been great.

Even though I leave my phone in the locker, it's still close enough to the showers to allow me to text. It was pretty cool to easily send a "Thanks!" to a text notification this morning in the shower.

16. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

Not to mention the dictation feature is practically flawless. Had very little issue with it so far.

17. rickdollar macrumors 6502

I've been very happy with the battery life (38mm) and utilize almost every feature of the watch but THE standout feature to me is the Taptic Engine.
    Neither my phone or my watch has made one audible sound since my watch arrived.

18. michaelant macrumors regular

michaelant

Awesome. Now I'll get one for sure, with Consumer Reports seal of approval! :rolleyes:

19. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

Finally, an article about an organization doing some real world tests.

I might forget and swim with it (if I buy one), or I might inadvertently hit a doorknob or other surface. But I am not going to take a cheese grater, knife, peanut butter, soy sauce, or boiling water to it.

20. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Skin tone doesn't impact it though.

21. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

No, that's not right. "7" is for brief, occasional immersion. You should do fine if you forget to take off your Watch to swim once in a while but it could fail if you keep doing it.

22. obakst macrumors newbie

Please don't elaborate on why you are thanking someone while taking a shower #

23. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Well, CU hasn't been too complimentary of Apple lately. Very few of Apple's products have ended up highly rated by them. CU seems to lean more toward products with competitive pricing. So the fact that they've chosen the Apple Watch as best-in-class is, IMO, a big deal.

24. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I'm not showering with my Apple Watch... but it's GREAT for the gym.

I used to have an hour and 15 minute period of my day where I was not reachable.... I work out 4:15-5:30.

Sometimes something at the office came up (servers down! help), or my wife tried to reach me about something important (daughter stuck at school, can't get her)... it's nice to be able to respond now... instead of responding at 5:30.

It's nice to just 'know' something is going on too even if I don't have to respond. Well worth it.

(Of course, my alerts would occur once every 5 days or so... If I'm constantly bugged for unimportant things, there is no reason to stay connected)

25. 2457282 Suspended

Totally Agree!!!!!!

My watch is still "processing" for an expected delivery of May 14-28. All these articles are just salt in the wound :p