Consumer Reports

Discussion in 'iPad' started by erio, Mar 15, 2011.

1. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Not sure if they did side by side speed comparisons between the iPad 2 and iPad 1. We played around at work with our office iPad and my iPad 2 and attempted similar tasks on both at the same time such as loading very large webpages and the Google Earth app. iPad 2 seemed at least 2x faster loading Google Earth and noticeably faster loading content rich webpages. There's a definite speed advantage with the iPad 2, I don't know what Consumer Reports is talking about.

2. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Was your iPad 1 running 4.3?

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes, both running iOS 4.3.

4. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Consumer Report, as usual talking out if their rear end. :rolleyes:

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 They are a terrible source of information when it comes to electronics. Sometimes they get it right, a lot of the times they don't. Years ago when I worked at Circuit City (2001-ish) people would come in to the store with their consumer reports magazines that always recommended the stuff that had the highest return rates (and was junk). We'd avoid those customers because it meant we would lose our commission if/when the customer returned the product that consumer reports would so eagerly recommend.

6. 1969cj5 macrumors member

Tried to knock the bug off my screen!

7. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Me too :(

8. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

LOL, I *always* fall for that ****. I'm terrified of cockroaches and that avatar never fails to freak me out.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

:p:D

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

To be fair, it depends who you were asking.

Say you put iPad2 in a case and gave it to your mum to browse a few photo's and run some apps for a couple of hours.

Took it away, without her knowing and swapped it over for an iPad1. I bet she would carry on saying how great it is.

I don't think she'd go, OMG it's broken, it's all moving so slowly, I'm waiting ages for anything to happen.

In general use, even with side by side loading, it's only the odd few seconds here and there generally.

Using iPad2 does not make iPad1 feel unusable. In that respect you could say there is not really much real world difference.

11. Cha macrumors regular

The people's comments of the CR blog reflect a similar opinion...

From the blog...
    " but it's not clear whether any games that take advantage of that higher speed are yet available"

AppAdvice.com did 2 comparisons of some games that did some quick enhancements...
    http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/03/ipad-2-ipad-1-showdown-real-racing-2-hd/
    http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/03/ipad-2-ipad-1-showdown-infinity-blade/

12. dread macrumors 6502a

Consumer reports is a joke. Why don't they do some actual tests. Any ******* on a forum could write that ****** review.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love these posts here. Ever since CR came out against the iPhone 4, apple fans are CR haters.

To be fair, I doubt very much anyone would notice a huge increase in performance surfing the web or doing email on the iPad2 over the iPad 1. Neither app is really taking advantage of the higher specs.

Sure CR should and probably will do a full review, but at this point its more like a first look blog entry.

14. johnc22 macrumors 6502

I think I'd pay more credence to Anandtech's comparisons than to Consumer Reports.

15. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

CR has had it wrong with other electronics, vehicles and appliances for years..long before the iPhone4 nonsense.

16. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Consumer Reports is no longer a reliable source of information. They didn't recommend the iPhone 4s and they're the best selling smartphone ever, and iPad 2 is still impossible to find. Consumer Reports can lick the crust off my dirty *******.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

CR is not about producing benchmarks but rather how well a device is and what is best based on some pre-defined metrics. I find their information invaluable in that regard. I read the blog post and found nothing horribly incorrect or wrong, yet the posts here are quite negative towards CR.

Other sites are more useful if one is interested in garnering how fast this is verus another product, or a technical teardown of the product. CR is committed to providing the consumer (who could care less about such things), useful advise in choosing what is the best quality and has the best features.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Why can't some people here get it?

There is a vast difference between reviewing something from a technical standpoint and from a general usability standpoint.

I have read some UK magazines aimed at a typical non technical person, and they can skip over things I think are very important.

It seems important to me, as I know, but in the grand scheme of things, items that I may think are make or break may not ever register with other people.

Like why do people buy rubbish hi-fi's? I know they sound terrible, but for a group of people they make sound, they can play their CD's the price is good so that's all that matters.

For someone totally non technical (one could argue, the audience the iPad is most strongly focussed on) apart from the camera, there are no real differences between the iPads.

It's a tiny bit lighter, it's a bit thinner, and a bit faster. Whoop-de-do.

Tech nerds will say, oh, yes, but it's god dual core, and the textures in some games are a higher quality, and this app loads 2 seconds faster.

But none of that really matters, it's still an iPad that runs the same apps.

It's not like Chalk and Cheese. It's like Cheese, or a slightly stronger cheese.

I don't know who this magazine is aimed at, but fundamentally the iPad2 is just a iPad1 with a camera and a few small improvements.

As much as this may annoy people who want to shout about the specs in every review. some don't care. If they did care they'd not be buying up loads of iPad 1's

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yep. That's why you never hear about them.

Oh, wait...

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I haven't bought an iPad2 yet, but the short time I played with it in the store the web experience seemed a lot better than the first iPad. No checkerboard effect for one thing.

21. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I don't feel that Safari's page loading is that much faster on iPad 2. It really depends on the page I think, a javascript heavy page will load noticeably faster than just a static html page when comparing devices. Switching between tabs is faster because of the increased RAM, so there is less page reloading.

Other little things, like bringing up the multitasking bar while in an app, switching apps, loading an image heavy email (that is already cached), editing a fairly large spreadsheet or word document are faster.

They are all not that much faster but it does feel more responsive which is important in a touchscreen only device.

22. anthony691 macrumors newbie

As an iPad user who upgraded, I disagree. The difference is huge. Everything that was frustrating and tedious on the iPad is less frustrating and tedious on the iPad 2. Apps launch so much faster that it feels like the iPad 2 has real multitasking. I can flip between apps without wanting to throw it out then window, which I couldn't do on the iPad.

The differences in weight and size are huge for people that use the iPad as an ereader. I read 3,000+ pages per week for work (almost all on the iPad) and the size/weight reduction was the main reason I upgraded.

23. alan111 macrumors regular

I tend too to believe that Consumer Reports does not know how to rate, review or properly evaluate consumer electronics. My opinion has nothing to do with the hate against the iphone 4 (i dont even have one), but rather, that they plane old do not know how to properly review electronics.

Saying that the iPad 2 has no significant changes from 1 to another is pure ************.