Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I expect that to change in the future. Apple had a head start in that debarment and got the design right early on but it is already clear everyone else has caught up and figured it out.
I expect in the future to see the iPad get kick out in favor of cheaper alternatives that get the job done.
Cost is what will kick the iPad out of those areas because I have a feeling right now the iPad in terms of power and capabilities is mass over kill and on top of that it is limited in terms of what custom software and UI that can be installed on it.
I honestly expect for lets say hositals in the future someone is going to take Android and build a custom user interface and software to do something cheaper and better because it will be custom designed exactly for what it needs to be done.

Why would a custom interface for a hospital be needed? Wouldn't a custom app work instead or is this you going against Apple again?

Seems to be a couple of companies are doing just that.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
For hygiene are they use the capacitive stylus in hospital to operate the iPads?

RN's have been using nursing apps for awhile. Before the iPad a ton of nurses were carrying around iphones and ipod touches with drug guide apps, medical databases, etc. The alternative is for the nurse to leave the room and look up the info in a book that might be outdated.

And even though I disagree with LTD on the tablet replacing laptops and workstations, I agree with him about the iPad remaining dominant. The only competitor I thought had a chance was RIM because the Playbook integrated with existing Blackberry devices. But instead of touting that feature, RIM put out a television ad that was all about how it can do Flash. Dumb move.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Why would a custom interface for a hospital be needed? Wouldn't a custom app work instead or is this you going against Apple again?

Seems to be a couple of companies are doing just that.

While an App could do it the problem you run into is cost. The iPad is going to be massive over kill so they are paying for a lot of stuff they do not need which adds to cost.

The custom interface more than likely written on Android the tablet would be much cheaper and get the job done just as good if not better because it does not have the app store restictions place on it.
Add to that the ablility now for Android to interact with the outside world threw some standards that allow it to control just about anything.

I just see in terms of cost iPad being phased out for something cheaper that does the job just as good and in some ways better.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
While an App could do it the problem you run into is cost. The iPad is going to be massive over kill so they are paying for a lot of stuff they do not need which adds to cost.

The custom interface more than likely written on Android the tablet would be much cheaper and get the job done just as good if not better because it does not have the app store restictions place on it.
Add to that the ablility now for Android to interact with the outside world threw some standards that allow it to control just about anything.

I just see in terms of cost iPad being phased out for something cheaper that does the job just as good and in some ways better.

Apparently, you don't realize, that an organization that is ready to equip dozens of staff members with $500+ iPads CAN afford $99 for an iOS Dev account.

And why iOS rather than your beloved Android?
One word: security. What we're dealing with is medical secrecy.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Apparently, you don't realize, that an organization that is ready to equip dozens of staff members with $500+ iPads CAN afford $99 for an iOS Dev account.

And why iOS rather than your beloved Android?
One word: security. What we're dealing with is medical secrecy.

If you are relaying on portable tablet for security then you have other issues.

Also you failed to address the other point. Why would they want to keep shelling out 500 bucks per iPad when they could get something that could do the same job just as good and in some ways better for 200.

Add on the fact that Android for example can do things iOS just can not do. Google IO had some pretty cool things that shows some of those features off that were more proof of concept but clearly it would not take long to design and build something that worked.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Also you failed to address the other point. Why would they want to keep shelling out 500 bucks per iPad when they could get something that could do the same job just as good and in some ways better for 200.

Add on the fact that Android for example can do things iOS just can not do. Google IO had some pretty cool things that shows some of those features off that were more proof of concept but clearly it would not take long to design and build something that worked.

The disease is spreading. Post-PC Era style.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110627/tc_afp/singaporemilitaryinternettechnologyipadusapple

http://www.tipb.com/2011/05/29/alaska-airlines-ipad-flight-manuals/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/06/american-airlines-ipad-navigation-charts/

As we speak, "iToys" are heading toward U.S. Defense Dept. security certification, which might be no more than a month away.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
some how I do not think they were issues laptops before hand.

Marketing buzz words like Post-PC era are exactly that marketing buzz words. Just because SJ says it is true does not mean it is. Since they were not issues laptops or computers before hand it does not change how things currently are.

Your entire list of link there NONE of them and I repeat NONE of them say they are replacing their computers. They are replacing paper manuals but not the computers. So failure of post PC era buzz word crap.

I would ask you to learn to see pass marketing buzz words but I think you are so far in the Apple worship that you lost the ability think for yourself.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008

How would custom writing a new user interface be cheaper then writing an App?

Also, seems like the prices of tablets are all about the same. Also, if you are using this app in house, there are no app store restrictions. You can custom build your app to work on your network only. So you could have an app distibuted to your entire fleet. Why would you need the custom interface. I don't think bringing in someone to re-write an entire interface would be cost effective at all.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
How would custom writing a new user interface be cheaper then writing an App?

Also, seems like the prices of tablets are all about the same. Also, if you are using this app in house, there are no app store restrictions. You can custom build your app to work on your network only. So you could have an app distibuted to your entire fleet. Why would you need the custom interface. I don't think bringing in someone to re-write an entire interface would be cost effective at all.

It would not be so much written in house. What I see is a some company jumping on board and designing a tablet marketed for hospitals and those needs. Chances are good the current iPad is massive over kill in terms of hardware. Reduce the flash memory, use weaker CPU ect reduce cost. Chances are good that the cost will be cut in 1/2 in the next few years.

Right now the iPad is really the only game in town but give it a few years that will change. It gives the firms who specialize in this type of product for hositals time to design what they need and then have the physical add on software up and working for anything like that.

Basic story is long term the iPad is over kill in terms of power and as such a waste of money since they have to buy all that extra hardware that they do not need or use.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
It would not be so much written in house. What I see is a some company jumping on board and designing a tablet marketed for hospitals and those needs. Chances are good the current iPad is massive over kill in terms of hardware. Reduce the flash memory, use weaker CPU ect reduce cost. Chances are good that the cost will be cut in 1/2 in the next few years.

Right now the iPad is really the only game in town but give it a few years that will change. It gives the firms who specialize in this type of product for hositals time to design what they need and then have the physical add on software up and working for anything like that.

Basic story is long term the iPad is over kill in terms of power and as such a waste of money since they have to buy all that extra hardware that they do not need or use.

Actually for the profession you are saying, I could see them wanting more memory to run a few more products. Most now are using desktops with a head set to run the 3D graphics and also to play the movies of the x-rays or cat scans and being able to scrub them. I don't think they would want to skimp and with prices now, I don't see the need to go skimpy. But then again I could be wrong.

I actually think the iPad is under kill for a good majorty of professions and industries they are trying to use it for. Reading an owners manual doesn't really require a lot of horse power, but being able to run a custom app that is pulling from multipal sources and then bringing all that data into a nice interface that the end user can compile and read. That requires a little more horsepower especially if we are talking about custom reports/graphs etc and if they are done in real time.

I dont' know a cooparation would want to spend 300.00 bucks on a product that has limited life span or doesn't really have a warranty attached to it like some of the chines knock offs. That would be my opinion only of course.

What I don't know, is when you deploy the iPad in a corporate envirnment can you take off apps that will not be allowed etc? That I don't know, maybe someone can chime and let us know.

But we shall see what happens.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

Can you cite one real-word security problem that has occurred with the iPad? You're the one with issues. (Hint: even experienced iOS jailbreakers haven't managed to crack the iPad 2 in a meaningful way. Experts mention that with iOS 5 coming, it will be even tougher.)

And which product is that?

Yup Android can do things iOS can't do:
  • Powering dozens of various tablet products that all combined can't sell in a year what Apple sells in a quarter.
  • Having a system update cycle of 18 months :eek:

kjaanbutt

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
Materialism may be considered a more general value underlying other consumer values, thus one reassuring way of realising one’s values is through consumption...any thoughts????

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
The disease is spreading. Post-PC Era style.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110627/tc_afp/singaporemilitaryinternettechnologyipadusapple

http://www.tipb.com/2011/05/29/alaska-airlines-ipad-flight-manuals/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/06/american-airlines-ipad-navigation-charts/

As we speak, "iToys" are heading toward U.S. Defense Dept. security certification, which might be no more than a month away.

Mobile OS based tablets can never ever replace desktop OS based computer. Period. Stop calling it Post-PC Era. Thats just a marketing term used by SJ. They lost PC war and are trying to push this.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Thats just a marketing term used by SJ.

Which is precisely why you should pay attention to it.
They lost PC war.
They actually won it. By playing a completely different game.
and are trying to push this
So is everyone else, but not as successfully as Apple. The paradigm is here to stay, though. It *will* be far-reaching and pervasive, and there's a good chance it'll be dominated by Apple. How does that sit with you?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

I'm interested on how you can justify this. OS X is no where near as popular as Windows. So in my mind, Microsoft won the PC war. How on earth have Apple won it?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They lost PC war and are trying to push this.

They didn't win it, even Jobs in prior interviews mentioned this. They played a completely different game because they had too. There was no way they could compete with with Microsoft on the desktop arena. They've carved out a nice little niche but they'll never topple MS's operating system dominance on PCs.

They're winning now, but the tablet market is a very immature sector so to say that apple won it, is very premature. There's a long way to go before this plays itself. Heck apple only has one revision of the iPad under its belt and their competitor's are just ramping up. That means its only on square one of the competition.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
They didn't win it, even Jobs in prior interviews mentioned this. They played a completely different game because they had too. There was no way they could compete with with Microsoft on the desktop arena. They've carved out a nice little niche but they'll never topple MS's operating system dominance on PCs.

They're winning now, but the tablet market is a very immature sector so to say that apple won it, is very premature. There's a long way to go before this plays itself. Heck apple only has one revision of the iPad under its belt and their competitor's are just ramping up. That means its only on square one of the competition.

Apple's penalty for losing the PC war in the 1990s is that they're now the most profitable PC maker in the world. Mac sales growth has outpaced the industry for over 20 consecutive quarters, and counting. Apple owns the $1000+ category. "We don't ship junk" indeed.

Closed licensing of OS X was the right decision - no question, both for ensuring a superior user experience and for keeping OS X out of the hands of cheap box-assemblers. Both are related, of course.

End-to-end control of the experience. At the core of this is an OS that isn't licensed out. The OS is the single most important part of the computing experience. There’s no other PC maker that controls the most important aspect of its computers. This is why Macs are so coveted. This is why they sell like crazy even in a recession.

Win.

And we're not even talking tablets here.

Last edited:

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London

You can try and spin it anyway you like, but the simple truth is over 90% of computers in the world are PCs. Apple lost the computer war, no amount of fanboyism can change that.

What Apple are winning at is the mobile/handheld market.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
You can try and spin it anyway you like, but the simple truth is over 90% of computers in the world are PCs. Apple lost the computer war, no amount of fanboyism can change that.

What Apple are winning at is the mobile/handheld market.

Maybe they lost, but apparently they won you, judging from your sig. :D

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
You can try and spin it anyway you like, but the simple truth is over 90% of computers in the world are PC

That's what universal licensing and anticompetitive practices have netted MS: bad software sold with every PC, and consumers got whatever was the result of this scheme and nothing else. Quite frankly, you and I and everyone else who had no choice but live with this situation back in the old days got shafted. We were totally shortchanged.

You don't have to be the biggest to be the best.

Look at how much absolute, unequivocal JUNK that 90% figure includes. The cheap Dells, the lousy Acers, etc.

Anyone can push sheer volume and get away with big share numbers. Just ask Eric Shmidt and Mikey Dell. But that's not the way to set the bar.

Yes, MS and the box-maker cartel can have their big share numbers. Keep 'em! There will always be a market for inferior products.

Last edited:

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Which is precisely why you should pay attention to it.

iPad (and other tablets in general) run mobile OS which will NEVER EVER replace a desktop OS. When tablets cannot do what desktops/laptops can how can you expect tablets to replace them?

So is everyone else, but not as successfully as Apple. The paradigm is here to stay, though. It *will* be far-reaching and pervasive, and there's a good chance it'll be dominated by Apple. How does that sit with you?

They didn't win, this explains why they're pushing "Post PC-Era". Windows based PC computer share is around 90% and Mac is around 5-6%.

Apple may have the most successful tablet but tablet but that doesn't mean it replaces laptop/desktop. Toyota may have the most successful sedan but it'll never replace Ferrari. It just wasn't meant to.

I've posted this reply for your Post-PC era posts in almost every thread and you never replied to all the points I wrote. Next time you quote me, come up with answers to the points that I've highlighted.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Can you cite one real-word security problem that has occurred with the iPad? You're the one with issues. (Hint: even experienced iOS jailbreakers haven't managed to crack the iPad 2 in a meaningful way. Experts mention that with iOS 5 coming, it will be even tougher.)

And which product is that?

Yup Android can do things iOS can't do:
  • Powering dozens of various tablet products that all combined can't sell in a year what Apple sells in a quarter.
  • Having a system update cycle of 18 months :eek:

I too am interested in a tablet device that has the resources behind it and comes in under the $200 price tag.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

I think you missed the point.

I was not talking about cracking software. I was talking about thief of the device. Something like the iPad is VERY VERY easy to steal and walk off with. From there it just a matter of coping the data off of it and conidering you could turn the thing into airplane mode or its internet connections that could easily be back up and ripped apart.

It mostly about enterprise level control and lets be honest there Apple has never and chances are never will be strong in that department. There are better ways to do security and relaying on a tablet is NOT one of them. Have the tablet VPN into a system to access the files would be better but do not store things locally on the tablet which as I pointed out does not matter what what the tablet is for security reason. You can easy block a device from accessing secured data. The less places it is stored locally the easier it is to protect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.