Continuity kind of useless?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mavis, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavis, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Am I the only one who hasn't found Handoff the least bit useful on iOS devices? I never get to use it on my 5S because I use TouchID to unlock my phone, meaning I never swipe to unlock anymore. On my rMini I have a Smart Cover, so I never even see the lock screen. Maybe they can add the icon for Handoff to Control Center or something, because if you have a TouchID device or a Smart Cover on your iPad, you never get to take advantage of it! :confused:

Edit: I thought it was Continuity but actually it's Handoff that's useless on iOS devices, as described above.

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Not sure what you think Continuity is, but it's not confined to the lock screen. :confused:

3. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

You're right, it's Handoff that's useless on iOS devices. Thank you for clearing that up; I thought it was Continuity. Or wait, I guess Handoff is a part of Continuity? Either way, doesn't really seem useful at all, with TouchID.

4. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Can't you get to Handoff stuff using multitasking? It's to the left of the home screen, from pics I've seen (not been able to get handoff working myself).

Or, you could just swipe from lock screen when you need to? Jeez.

5. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

Well, I'm sure that some people would benefit from it but it definitely isn't something very important as they claimed in WWDC. For me, it's completely useless.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I don't have the beta so I'm just guessing here. I imagine how it works is swipe up on the app on the lock screen, it will ask for your pin or passcode, then rest your finger on the Home button to activate Touch ID. And isn't the Handoff app to the left of the Home Screen?

7. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yeah I don't really get this guy. It's like saying the camera shortcut is totally pointless because he has TouchID? What? No. Just swipe on the screen when you need to, for hand off, or camera, or notifications, whatever. If your action requires pass/touchId then do it at that second stage. TouchID is still saving you entering your pass.

8. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Perfect! I hadn't seen whatever screenshots you're talking about, but I just tried it on my iPad and there it was.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to swipe when the Smart Cover unlocks the iPad automatically. And for the iPhone, if I wanted to swipe my screen and enter a passcode to unlock my phone, I wouldn't have upgraded to the 5S last year. Anyway, thanks for explaining how to use it once the device is already unlocked.

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I would report feedback on the developers forum with your concerns.

10. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

You apparently don't have a 5S. ;)

Using the camera lock screen shortcut does't require a passcode (but doesn't give you access to anything besides the camera and whatever pictures you take right then). So there is no "second stage." If it did require a passcode or TouchID verification, then yes - it would be as pointless as the Handoff icon is.

----------

What concerns? Handoff can be used after the device is unlocked, and not just from the lock screen. Problem solved! ;)

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

That's why i called it 'your action', not necessarily referring to camera swipe - i used camera as a quick example before that, but i went onto talk about any swipe actions from the lock screen which may require a second stage. it's also why i used the word 'if', and it's also why i said pass/touchid because this applies to non-touchid devices too. see my edit for further clarification. The point is you can use TouchId when you're asked to, and still use the swipe features as shortcuts.

12. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

I'm not exactly sure why you insist on arguing the point, but it's clear you're not very familiar with how (well) TouchID works. The fingerprint scan happens when you press the home button, and the device is often unlocked almost instantly. Can you see why that might present a problem for a function that is only accessible from the lock screen? Perhaps now you can understand why I posted this thread. You have answered the question (thank you, 'problem' solved!) and continuing to debate the merits of TouchID is, quite frankly, pointless. I love TouchID, it's fast and accurate. It allows me to bypass the lock screen without a second thought (which is why I was not able to use Handoff, until you pointed out that the lock screen isn't the only way to access it). Thanks again for your help.

13. jhuynh macrumors member

Can't you just press the home button with the tip of your thumb or any other non-registered finger or the lock button to get to the lock screen? It's not rocket science...

I don't have a 5S but shouldn't you be able to just press the home button and not leave your finger there to see the lock screen? If not, then do the above...

14. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I have a 5s, but I still swipe on notifications which requires a fingerprint or unlock code...it still saves a step in finding the app, opening it and going to the specific item. I don't really see how the handoff icon would be any different.

Maybe my normal usage is different, as I usually just do a quick tap on the home button when pulling my phone out of my pocket to check notifications. If I am trying to do something specific real quick then I will hold it as I pull it out to go straight to the home screen.

15. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It works the same way it does on iOS 7 when you get notifications and you slide-to-unlock with iPhone 5S:

1. Slide the icon of the notification from the Lockscreen
    2. Put your finger on TouchID
    3. iPhone unlocks & brings you to the application that sent the notification.

Works the same way with Handoff.

Not sure if you knew that you can always use TouchID even when you get to the "Enter Passcode" Lock-screen (unless you restarted your iPhone & you need to the enter passcode).

16. Slayter101, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

Slayter101 macrumors member

I have a solution, but it's a rocket science, so
    it's not for everybody.

Step 1)
    Press sleep/wake button - screen will turn on.

Step 2)
    Use handoff feature!

... In case you get lost between so many steps, turn your screen off and try Step 1) again.

Quick tip:
    Try to avoid touching a Homebutton if you happened to have a 5S.

17. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

So many clever posters here, it's great. It's nice to part of such a friendly community.

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well you're being narrow minded, to be fair.

I have a 5s as well. However, if I want to take advantage of the Continuity/Handoff feature, it's very simple. Just quickly tap the home button to wake it up, but don't leave your finger in such a way to unlock the screen. Then you're at your lock screen, can easily slide up on the icon in the lower left corner, scan your print, and you're all set. When you swipe up and are prompted for the passcode, you don't have to enter the passcode. You can still scan your print on that screen as well.

It's very simple, takes just a second or two, and works every time..

19. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

I get it, I really do. I guess I just use my phone differently than everyone else here. When I reach into my pocket and grab my phone, my thumb is already on the home button and it's unlocked by the time I bring it up to look at it. I see the lock screen for a fraction of a second, if at all. Apparently most of the people here prefer to stare at their lock screens first, rather than simply unlock their phones.

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I do that, as well. However, is it impossible for you to change your habits based on your usage? If you want to take advantage of Handoff, go ahead and bring it out and swipe up. If you don't, continue to do what you do.

You seem to think that your body is physically capable of only one action :confused:

21. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

And you seem to think that the lock screen icon is the only way to access Handoff. :confused:

As it has already been established, it is not. I'm glad that the engineers at Apple weren't as narrow-minded as some of the posters here (Want to use this cool new feature? Change the way you use your phone! Want to use Handoff on an iPad? Stop using that fancy smart cover you bought from us!) ... Anyway, have fun staring at your lock screens. :rolleyes:

22. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, I am aware of the other method, I was one of the first to point it out (not that I think anyone should know that, just saying).

I'm not sure what the complaint is, then? You can access directly from the lock screen, or from multitasking when using your phone. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

23. Slayter101 macrumors member

Then you need to decide, if you are expecting to use handoff (started mail or something), then just for that time use sleep wake button, otherwise use as you are used to.
    I really don`t see an issue from Apple side there.
    And I`m very far from praising Apple for everything they release.

24. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Nor do I. I hadn't realised that Handoff was accessible through the multitasking interface, but after it was pointed out and I thanked the poster who brought it to my attention, everyone else started posting their "solutions" (in sarcastic and condescending ways, naturally). In fact, by the time I typed this reply, another person posted a solution involving the sleep/wake button. Too funny.

----------

And if you're using an iPad with a Smart Cover?

Don't worry, you can access Handoff throughout the multitasking interface. Isn't Apple great?

25. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Double tap the home button and the farthest left app is actually where you can access Handoff from your mac... once you've bypassed the lock screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.