Contract up end of May. Buy 5s or wait for 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bsharrah, Apr 1, 2014.

  1. bsharrah macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    #1
    I am sure others have asked this but can't find any relevant threads using the search feature. Me and my wife's 2 year contract is up at the end of May and I am probably trading my 4s for a 5s as soon as that happens, but wanted to get some opinions.

    My initial thoughts are the 5s has a good track record and the 6, like all new devices, could have design issues, especially since it is expected to have significant design changes, and changes with suppliers, from what I have read. I really like to be able to buy accessories from day one which probably won't happen with the 6.

    I do not want to get myself into the "wait for the next one" trap because there will always be a next one and I feel like every day I wait once my contract is up, Verizon is stealing my money since I am still paying the same rate once the contract expires. At this point, I should still be able to trade my 4s in and cover the initial cost of the 5s, 16gb (last I checked, Verizon was still offering $200 for my 4s). If I wait for the 6, my 4s probably won't fetch nearly as much in trade value.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
  3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    Location:
    Florida
  4. duction macrumors 6502a

    duction

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2010
    Location:
    U to the K
    #6
    Wait it out, I'm going for the 6. It will replace my 5.. Just had a new one from insurance claim aswell, the mrs will be happy getting a next to new 5 for free lol.
     
  5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

    sonicrobby

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #7
    Wait for the 6; it may not come until september, but if you are going to be locked into another 2 year contract, you may as well get the newest phone for that right?
     
  6. MrJolly macrumors member

    MrJolly

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Location:
    I live next door, England
    #8
    Get the 5S. You know what you're getting and it's a reliable handset. New hardware always has a risk of issues.
     
  7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #9
    Sounds like you have plenty of reasons to buy the 5s. It's a good phone. Find it at a discount if you can. I believe Frys was selling the 5s for $50 off.
     
  8. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

    MattMJB0188

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
  9. shawndc1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2014
    #11
    wait, no need to rush,,, the 5s isnt a must have, youll be fine for a few months
     
  10. Allanb1985 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    #12
    It really depends on your individual situation to be honest. You can guarantee that when released the iphone 6 will be costly up front and probably in high demand coupled with the fact it will launch with ios8. This in itself could be a good reason to hold off for a bit whilst initial issues/bugs are resolved. I have never to date bought an iphone within a few weeks of its release. I don't believe in playing the waiting game waiting for the next release as you will wait a lifetime. Technology is moving so fast so I personally would go for a 5s if its better financially and it is what you want right now. Others may disagree and these are only my opinions.

    ----------

    And also to add.....

    My wife has a white iphone 5 and I have the 5s in space grey. I have found the 5s to feel so much more refined, faster and overall a much better handset. I couldn't imagine not having a fingerprint scanner either as it has been drastically improved with the latest updates. So for the people that say there isn't much difference, I beg to differ.
     
  11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

    Agent-P

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Location:
    The Tri-State Area
    #13
    OP, I would agree with T5BRICK. The quotes he or she pulled out of your post makes it seem like you would feel more comfortable and happier with getting a 5S rather than waiting for the 6. Plus, since you have the 4S still it doesn't seem like you're one of those people that needs to have the latest and greatest only for the reason it is the newest version available.
     
  12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #14
    I'd also wait for the 6.
     
  13. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

    jr866gooner

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2013
    #15
    Personally I'd go for 5s. If I was in the same boat I would find it tricky to hold out 3-4 months for a new phone knowing I could simply walk into a store and get a shiny new device within minutes!

    I could have waited myself, my contract expired last sept. I held out until November which is the longest I've ever done so!! I kind of has to upgrade as my ip4 started to fail (charging port) there was no point in spending out to fix when that fee could go towards new device!

    Do it! Go for the 5s! I'm so so happy with my 5c but given the chance to upgrade even I would!!
     
  14. Charadis macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    #16
    If you can wait just a little while longer, and you do not have an urgent need to replace your 4S, I'd suggest holding off on upgrade renewal. Here are a couple benefits:

    1.) The next iPhone (iPhone 6?) will be revealed, and you could consider if you like the new features/design, and ultimately upgrade to that.

    2.) If you don't like the look of the new iPhone, you could get the iPhone 5S for $100.00 less or more (traditionally, iPhone prices drop around the release of the next generation of iPhone).


    It's really a win win situation if you can hold out a little while longer. :)
     
  15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

    Applejuiced

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    #17
    I have an upgrade available also but Im holding off for the next iphone.
     
  16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

    The Doctor11

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2013
    Location:
    New York
    #18
    If you feel that you should get the 5s get the 5s. But in may I would wait. I'm sure the design will be fine there will be tons of accessories withen a month or 2. I really think there would be a lot of benefit waiting for the 6.
     
  17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

    ET iPhone Home

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
    Location:
    Orange County, California USA
    #19
    Your post indicates a decision made - 5S. I purchased a 5S just 2 weeks ago for a family member, without thought to the 6.
     
  18. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #20
    My 4S was a still more than capable device (for my needs) when I upgraded to a 5S. I probably wouldn't have an issue holding out for a new iPhone.

    But LTE makes a bigger difference if you're coming from CDMA 3G compared to HSPA+ 3G (which I came from), so maybe that'll be tempting.

    If you want a 5S because you want that phone, then go for it for sure. But if its because Verizon is robbing you each month you don't upgrade - I'd wait.
     

Share This Page