Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
‘Hey Siri I need some weed...”

“Okay...I sent a text to Guido...”

“Guido replied...no can do, you still owe him from last time and you are a piece of sh*t...shall I send a Apple Pay Cash transfer to Guido?”

“Yeah...”

“Okay...please confirm with Face ID...cash sent”

“Guido just sent you a text - come over anytime!”

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Apple has already admitted that the article was legit.
[doublepost=1564404901][/doublepost]

Again, Tim has personally said that it’s legit.
[doublepost=1564404940][/doublepost]
“Hey Siri, set a 90 second timer”...
[doublepost=1564405003][/doublepost]

All major US tech firms have given the CIA access to their servers.
[doublepost=1564405079][/doublepost]

Well, has Siri gotten any better if the last few years? Exactly.

Yes, Siri has gotten better in the last few years. I honestly haven't had any issues with it, but I only use Siri for commands.

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
I don’t be care that you said this is unacceptable and bad for apple . We’re just finding out about this and no option in the settings to stop it. For now Siri is disabled , I’m sorry apple car play .

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don’t be care that you said this is unacceptable and bad for apple . We’re just finding out about this and no option in the settings to stop it. For now Siri is disabled , I’m sorry apple car play .

I am not sure why people are acting like they have been living in the matrix all this time and have only just woken up.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...g-to-you-on-alexa-a-global-team-reviews-audio

An article posted in April talks about the exact thing that people are evidently freaking out about here. Nobody gave a crap then, so I am not sure why all the pitchforks are coming out now.

Seems “whistleblower” these days is just another term for “anonymous source whose account fits my narrative” when it comes to Apple news.

Reactions: I7guy

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
More bad press leakage just in time for a record breaking decrease in business. Someone wants Tim gone fast.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
More bad press leakage just in time for a record breaking decrease in business. Someone wants Tim gone fast.
Apple provided this guidance:

• revenue between $52.5 billion and $54.5 billion
  • gross margin between 37 percent and 38 percent
  • operating expenses between $8.7 billion and $8.8 billion
  • other income/(expense) of $250 million
  • tax rate of approximately 16.5 percent
Only Apple could be dinged for earning $52B in a quarter. Apple made an entire $108B in 2011 and now makes that in 2 quarters. Go figure. Tim is not going anywhere unless he wants to go somewhere.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Our family finds them useful, especially Alexa. As we find out we’ve run out of something we tell her to add it to our shopping list. We keep the Echo in the kitchen. We used to have one in the family room but the TV kept activating it. Nothing quite like hearing Alexa trying to have a conversation with Chef Ramsey!

We chuck these speaker/assistants in a common area of the house.

It’s the assistants on the phones and tablets that have me concerned. Can’t forget Bixby and Cortana, either. Their TOS’s are way to broad for my liking.

I don't know, they sound like just extra work. I suppose when they can monitor your fridge and automatically add items that need replenishing without you telling them and stuff like that, but man that's just too invasive. Otherwise I am still confused as to how these really make life that much easier. I guess not walking 2 feet to the light switch or just using my phone to turn the light off is some kind of improvement, maybe I'm too old school. You're definitely right, there should be just as much concern over our phones. Reading through Apple's guidelines I was under the impression that if you had Hey Siri enabled then it only kept recordings locally on the phone unless it determined it to be a valid request, then it would go to Apple's servers, and if you turned off Hey Siri it wouldn't listen in at all unless you pressed your Siri button.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don't know, they sound like just extra work. I suppose when they can monitor your fridge and automatically add items that need replenishing without you telling them and stuff like that, but man that's just too invasive. Otherwise I am still confused as to how these really make life that much easier. I guess not walking 2 feet to the light switch or just using my phone to turn the light off is some kind of improvement, maybe I'm too old school. You're definitely right, there should be just as much concern over our phones. Reading through Apple's guidelines I was under the impression that if you had Hey Siri enabled then it only kept recordings locally on the phone unless it determined it to be a valid request, then it would go to Apple's servers, and if you turned off Hey Siri it wouldn't listen in at all unless you pressed your Siri button.
When I’m in the kitchen I don’t usually have my hands free to jot things down so it’s convenient to just call out and ask Alexa for unit conversations for recipes. I can just call out things I need as they occur to me for Alexa to add to the shopping list that feeds into an app I can look at on my phone when I’m in the store. Often I’m in the kitchen where there’s a coat closet very near and I ask Alexa for the weather so I can pick out the right outerwear for myself or the kids.

It’s no work at all as it’s like talking to a person.

However I do unplug these devices if we are going to have sensitive conversations in the kitchen.

Reactions: spinedoc77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.